Air Force Orders 2,200 PlayStation 3s

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Air Force Orders 2,200 PlayStation 3s

The United States Air Force has plans to use PS3s to help modernize its supercomputer systems through distributed computing.

loss-leader [https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=bac60f8808fa1e221597573901a7cd6b&tab=core&_cview=1&cck=1&au=&ck=], fellas.

Arguably, Sony got the ball rolling using distributive computing by releasing Folding@home [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home] to run computing cycles on PS3s when the consumer was not using it. It is not clear whether they anticipated that consumers and even governments would realize that they were selling the cheapest computing power on the planet, and try to exploit that.

The Air Force has been experimenting with linked PS3s for some time. Right now, the ARFL has 336 PS3s linked together in an Linux-cluster but they are looking to expand the experiment. The requisition puts it this way:

With respect to cell processors, a single 1U server configured with two 3.2-GHz cell processors can cost up to $8k, while two Sony PS3s cost approximately $600. Though a single 3.2-GHz cell processor can deliver over 200 GFLOPS, whereas the Sony PS3 configuration delivers approximately 150 GFLOPS, the approximately tenfold cost difference per GFLOP makes the Sony PS3 the only viable technology for HPC applications.

In laymen's terms, they can get three quarters the processing power from a PS3 than they can with two other chips, for less than 8% of the cost. That makes it a sound business decision for the research team, but Sony would certainly get the shaft. The Air Force is not going to buy the games that would make 2,200 purchases even close to being profitable for the console manufacturer. If I were Sony, I would try to put the kibosh on this right away. Of course, I can hear the current shill on their commercials really running with the PR: "Sony PlayStations can indeed do everything, even build supercomputers for the United States Air Force!"

The technology is interesting. Putting that many consoles into an array in order to maximize computing power is pretty cool, and, from their perspective, they are being smart with their money. But it seems like the brains behind it need to think about the politics and the economics of the situation a little more. The only reason these consoles are cheap is to sell games and if an entity of the US government snatches them up to create a super-computer Skynet, then the games industry is in trouble.

Also, the machines will rise.

Source: The Standard [http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/12/07/air-force-taps-playstation-3-research]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That'll be money Sony never get back then.

And I know it's cheaper, but getting something like an IBM processor would surely be better.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, sure the Air Force won't use these to play games or blu-ray movies.

Just like they needed all those thousands of HDTVs for "improved tactical planning and communications" and totally not so that every junior officer could watch LOST in high definition.

Either way, those guys deserve some good gaming, they have a hell of a difficult and dangerous job.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
That noise, that was the ps3 fan boys bragging to their xbox360 fanboy friends about how much better their consol is.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I can't help but feel that the price drop is actually going to end up harming Sony in the long term because of bulk purchases like this, where the interest is the hardware alone.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Woodsey said:

And I know it's cheaper, but getting something like an IBM processor would surely be better.
Actually, the PS3 does have an IBM processor in it. Sony worked with IBM when making the processor. 2 PS3s hooked together have the 50 percent more processing power than one state of art processor. The current reference supercomputer is 8,000 dollars.

The interesting one is the FBI uses the PS3 as the way to look for sex offenders. DHS is planning on using them for a safe subnetwork. Another one is the university of Stanford is using 900,000 PS3 left in standby to complete research on protein folding.

The PS3 is made of awesome!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Guess Carter needed them for the stargate's dialing program...

Jokes aside this is pretty interesting.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Percutio said:
MAG tournament on release day.

Brought to you by the USAF
why the hell would they do that?
they are the AIR FORCE and MAG don't got player-jets.
an Ace comabt tourney might make sense, BUT then again, AC6 is only on 360...
...maybe warhawk?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Doesn't ripping up a console for it's parts violate the ToS of ownership somehow? I don't know but it sounds a lot like using the parts in the same capacity as modders. What kind of legal backlash you can hit a mod user with is another matter.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
dalek sec said:
Guess Carter needed them for the stargate's dialing program...

Jokes aside this is pretty interesting.
Stargate reference +50 awesome points

open trap said:
That noise, that was the ps3 fan boys bragging to their xbox360 fanboy friends about how much better their consol is.
And the sound is like nails on... A particularly annoying surface.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Woodsey said:
The Cell is an IBM processor. It's one of the older ones, not the ones found in the Blue Gene/Roadrunner supercomputers, but it's still got plenty of grunt for that sort of thing.
malestrithe said:
Woodsey said:

Actually, the PS3 does have an IBM processor in it. Sony worked with IBM when making the processor. 2 PS3s hooked together have the 50 percent more processing power than one state of art processor. The current reference supercomputer is 8,000 dollars.

The interesting one is the FBI uses the PS3 as the way to look for sex offenders. DHS is planning on using them for a safe subnetwork. Another one is the university of Stanford is using 900,000 PS3 left in standby to complete research on protein folding.

The PS3 is made of awesome!
Fair play then. Still, a newer version would of made sense to me but I guess it's all money, money, money.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well somebody had to buy them....

I jest, but that is pretty cool that they are proving so useful.

Neshel

Nov 12, 2009
open trap said:
My thoughts exactly. More fuel for the console wars.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Starke said:
I can't help but feel that the price drop is actually going to end up harming Sony in the long term because of bulk purchases like this, where the interest is the hardware alone.
The problem is that Sony couldn't have possibly seen this coming. They expect the public to buy it as a super home-entertainment device, not for the military to buy the system and only the system.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Actually, the Air Force has been using video games for the past decade to train their pilots. Same thing with the Army (a la America's Army). The reason for this is, as explained to me by a veteran, is because it costs 6 figures everytime the military wants to do a training mission, while it's relatively inexpensive to train their troops using 3D modelling on game consoles.

They have found troops that play more video games have higher shooting accuracy than those who don't. Makes sense to me, and if it keeps the military budget low, I'm all for it.

So, while the Air Force might be using PS3s for a super computer array, they are still using the console and the games developed for it to train their troops. It's a win-win situation for the government and the gaming industry.