ModNation Racers Beta Hits December 18

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ModNation Racers Beta Hits December 18

ModNation Racers is an incredibly customizable kart-racing game hitting the PS3 in 2010, but you'll have a chance to get an early taste when the game's beta begins next week.

Sony and United Front Games have announced that the ModNation Racers beta will begin on December 18. ModNation Racers is a very neat looking PS3 exclusive that appears to be a mix between LittleBigPlanet and Mario Kart.

Players completely customize their own characters in ModNation Racers, to an even greater extent than LittleBigPlanet allows. While LBP gives the ability to create outfits from tons of different pieces, ModNation Racers characters are created from a blank canvas using hundreds of pieces of clothing, decals/stickers, and colors. The decal system in particular (partially shown here [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/modnation-racers-beta-starts-december-18-character-creation-walkthrough-2/]) looks interesting, putting hundreds of layers in players' hands to mess around with to create unique looks. ModNation's karts can also be fully customized in the same way, and the game should also come with an extensive track editor.

Kart-racing videogames have either sucked or been Mario Kart for as long as I can remember, but ModNation Racers will hopefully change all that. It doesn't look like a PS3 title to let slip through the cracks, but we'll see when the beta finally opens up. It will last until January 10, 2010; a pretty solid amount of time to get a feel for the game. To gain access, you either have to follow the PlayStation blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/] where codes will be given away, or acquire one by purchasing LittleBigPlanet: Game of the Year Edition. My code is already burning a hole in the top of my PS3, just waiting to be entered. See you on the track!

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
This looks awesome. Like Mario Kart but without the boring characters and the cruddy wii controls.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Does the customisation of the kart actually effect performance because if it does we'll all just be multicoloured dudes in the same car

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
messy said:
Does the customisation of the kart actually effect performance because if it does we'll all just be multicoloured dudes in the same car
I think all of the cars handle the same (though i could be wrong, perhaps you can trade speed for maneuverability and etc). It's all about giving your car and player his own looks and style to make him look different from the others.

Also, where can i sign up for the Beta?
yeah that sounds cool, it'd be nice if they made it impossible to max out everything. Because sure they'd be a majority in the same thing after while but its nice to know the opportunity for diversity exists and is still plausible to play the game as well.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
This game really makes me want a Ps3. And I do not care for consoles. Something about MarioKart with customisable tracks gives me a blissful feeling. Something you could play for years..

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Customization looks kickarse. Now we'll just hope gameplay kicks arse as well.

Scratch third reason to actually want a console.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
[HEADING=1]FUCK YES[/HEADING]

This is my game for 2010. I can not wait at all
almost agree, it'll be between this and BF:BC2