John Woo Making a Stranglehold Movie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
John Woo Making a Stranglehold Movie

Director John Woo says he plans to make a movie out of Stranglehold [http://strangleholdgame.com/], the 2007 videogame that was itself a follow-up to a 1992 movie.

In 1992, John Woo directed Chow Yun-Fat, Tony Leung, Philip Kwok and a whole bunch of other completely insane dudes in this promo trailer [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104684/] and bear in mind that it's showing mostly the slower, less violent parts. Anyway, Woo went on to do other things and despite Hard Boiled being frikkin' awesome, there was never so much as a peep about a sequel.

Fast forward to 2007 and suddenly a sequel, sort of, made an appearance: Woo teamed with Metacritic [http://www.midway.com/] scores of 77 across all platforms, but it was hardly a major hit and not of much interest to anyone who just wanted to watch a couple hours of stuff getting blowed up real good.

Now, two years later, Woo has revealed that Stranglehold the videogame is going to be remade into Stranglehold the film. "We are going to make that into a movie," he said in an interview with IMDB [http://www.cinematical.com/2009/12/06/john-woo-interview/] is to be believed, the movie is currently slated for a 2012 release.

Woo said that while he'd like to take another crack at making videogames, his schedule doesn't allow it. "I don't have that much time, even though I want to make one again," he continued. "But for the moment, I also am producing two movies. One is shooting in Taiwan. One is shooting in Shanghai. So I am quite busy these days."

I've never played Stranglehold but I have a well-used VHS copy of Hard Boiled (sent to me, somewhat ironically, by a friend from Australia) as well as an older "special edition" release on DVD. So a Stranglehold movie? That's something I'd stand in line for.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Ooh! I hope he does it, and does it well!
Then we can mail it off to Uwe Boll and say 'See? This is how you make a video game movie.'

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Look! We've come full circle, it lapses back onto itself! OMFG TOME PARADIX!

batuea

Jun 30, 2009
HELL YEAH FINALLY.....Hard Boiled and Full Contact are the only movies I have "bought" in the last 6 years, they are that good. AND WE FINALLY GET A SEQUEL YAAAAAAAY. Good luck Yun-Fat Chow *that is actually his "name" due to poor translations it cam out chow-yun fat, although he is a cool enough dude to respond to either :)*

Hurry Call the doctor on you plot handy galactic cell phone if there is a Paradox he is the man to fix it *the David Tennant doctor*

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
id rather he re-made hard boiled with better technology. I liked hardboiled, but in retrospect, the technology brings down the awesomeness of it.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
I thought the game itself was meant to be the sequel he never filmed. Might have to give it another play sometime soon.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
SomeUnregPunk said:
movie to game to movie?

i don't think that qualifies for videogame movie.
The Movie: The Game: The Movie. By John Woo. How weird can you get?

Still, I hope it comes out well. There hasn't been a good game-to-movie transition in the history of the world, but I'm hoping that since this one has another movie mixed in with it, it will have the necessary basis to not suck.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
eljawa said:
id rather he re-made hard boiled with better technology. I liked hardboiled, but in retrospect, the technology brings down the awesomeness of it.
God no, the last thing it needs is more "technology." That's how abortions like GI Joe get made.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
SomeUnregPunk said:
movie to game to movie?

i don't think that qualifies for videogame movie.
Its some kind of strange hybrid for sure...

Well, I remember playing the game, it was fun, if not a little contrived.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
eljawa said:
God no, the last thing it needs is more "technology." That's how abortions like GI Joe get made.
I dont mean cg technology, ust a less grainy camera and some less jerky slow motion. Not cgi technology. Higher budget, better blood, less dated feel. The movie feels very dated now.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
I never played Stranglehold, but I really liked the concept art for it from Tae-young Choi. If the film's got good sets like those, I'll check it out.

dreamtime

Jan 10, 2009
Too bad it will probably be made in the US; Woo has not produced anything near as good as Hard Boiled during his years in America. Either he's lost his magic touch, or Hollywod-moviemaking doesn't allow for the kind of workethic that Woo clearly needs.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
i loved stranglehold and i was a big fan of the original hard boiled, i fully support this improbable motion

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Stranglehold was pretty good...until later in the game where the action was just so repetitive. I had to put the game down for a month or so before I picked it back up and finally finished it. So...yeah, that one line about it being just blowing stuff up real good is pretty much spot on.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Kollega said:
Look! We've come full circle, it lapses back onto itself! OMFG TOME PARADIX!
OH NO!!! If that movie comes out it will disrupt the space time contimium!!!!