Harmonix Denies Layoffs Are Due to Poor Sales

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Harmonix Denies Layoffs Are Due to Poor Sales

The music game company Harmonix announced that it has recently laid off 39 workers.

The Boston-based Harmonix, maker of Rock Band, said that laying off 13% of its workforce was unrelated to the recent publicity claiming that music games have plateaued. The company pointed to The Beatles: Rock Band, which has sold 1 million copies since its release on 9/9/09, and said that it is happy with current forecasts for its games. The layoffs were mainly in the QA department, as well as administrative positions, and represent a shift in business practice as opposed to downsizing.

A representative from Harmonix said, "This was a process and business decision unrelated to the performance of any MTV Games/Harmonix product. MTV Games and Harmonix are very pleased with the sales of our Rock Band titles and we expect to continue to see strong sales throughout the holidays across all of our titles."

"Additionally, those 39 affected (which roughly represented about 13 percent of the staff) were primarily from the QA dept," he went on. "Harmonix staffed up its QA department and support positions based on the 2009 worldwide release schedule. At this time, Harmonix will shift to a combination of temporary/part time help, outsourcing and support from external partners (which is in line with how other game developers manage their QA departments)."

The explanation sounds plausible as Harmonix has said that Rock Band is more of a platform than a game and streamlining the Quality Assurance department makes sense. It is undeniable though that the supply of money-hats made from music games in the past has shriveled up in 2009 so the company cannot be as wasteful in its spending as it might have been in the past.

It just sucks to hear about anyone losing their job, especially in December. "Hey honey, you know that awesome job I had playing games for a living? Let me put it this way, the kids aren't getting The Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition for Christmas this year."

Heartbreaking. My condolences truly go out to the families of anyone effected by these layoffs.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26467/Harmonix_Lays_Off_Staff_As_The_Beatles_Rock_Band_Passes_1_Million.php]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
It saddens me the QA dept is first to go. I do agree with Furburt though. It really shouldn't matter why they laid people off. They shouldn't have to justify to us why they are doing what they are doing since we all know the real reason. To make more money.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
squid5580 said:
It saddens me the QA dept is first to go. I do agree with Furburt though. It really shouldn't matter why they laid people off. They shouldn't have to justify to us why they are doing what they are doing since we all know the real reason. To make more money.
If they're the same QA testers that worked on the instruments, I can't say I'm really sorry!
Totally not joking here. The software has always been great... but the instruments...

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I don't care what company you are, NEVER lay off the fucking Q&A department. This is why shit like Vampire Rain gets released with bonus bugs free of charge.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
More lay offs.../sigh

Well, my heart goes out to them, I hope they will be able to find somewhere to work >.<

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
They tend to close down or layoff due to giving the upper parts of the biz to much, a game is doing well but we hate paying for your dev house so we will close you down as we no longer need you..... and yes I am still sore about clover studios....

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'm sorry to hear about anyone being Laid-off. However, the buzz words used here don't hide the fact that this is only to balance the company's books...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The problem is that you don't need full-time QA people really. So of course they're the first to get the axe.

QA is, with a few exceptions, the "retail grunt" equivalent in the video game industry.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I used to be roommates with a Harmonix QA tester back in the Amplitude days (and before that he did some of the "external testing" they're talking about for Frequency, at Sony to get licensing approval for the game), since I live relatively nearby. I wonder if anyone I met back then is among the 39...

It does suck that QA seems to be the first to go a lot of the time, but at least with Harmonix I have a feeling that they won't skimp on it too much. They seemed to take pride in making sure they did stuff right, and if they're not releasing full new games on a regular basis, just relatively minor updates like Beatles Rock Band and downloadable stuff, it might not make sense to have quite as big a full-time team. Hopefully it won't affect the quality of the games.

And like RvLeshrac said, it's a shame that the instruments are still somewhat crap compared to the ones RedOctane's made for the GH games, both when Harmonix was doing them and since then. Maybe they can use some of the money they're saving on QA to do something about that...