Valve Brings Crafting to Team Fortress 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Brings Crafting to Team Fortress 2

Valve is introducing crafting to Team Fortress 2, giving players a chance to finally do something with all that useless crap they've been lugging around in their inventories.

Crafting, the technical term for the art of turning crap into other kinds of marginally-less-useless crap, has historically been an RPG-focused activity and not the sort of thing your average online FPS really paid attention to. But no longer!

All those months of carrying around duplicate weapons, stupid hats and other assorted garbage you have absolutely no use for are finally going to pay off. Valve is releasing a series of "blueprints" that will provide formulas detailing how various objects can be combined into other items that are actually useful for something; other blueprints will remain secret until players figure them out. "Think of blueprints as recipes, but instead of making Chicken Cordon Bleu, they make guns!" the company wrote on the TF2 blog [http://www.teamfortress.com/crafting/]. "And hats! And Sandviches, which in retrospect would have helped our analogy better if we'd mentioned that first."

As an example, a "smelt primary weapons" blueprint was posted to illustrate how excess guns could be put together to create "useful scrap metal." Clearly, not every crafted item is going to be a game-changer, but it's better than having 27 jars of Jarate lying around. TF2 crafting isn't available quite yet (I just blew a half-hour "checking") but should go live fairly soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
Ahh Team fortress 2 and its mild RPG elements...I hope this is real because I want to be able to make half sniper rifle half minigun weapn! It would be hilarriously over powered.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"Think of blueprints as recipes, but instead of making Chicken Cordon Bleu, they make guns!"
Why does Valve hate America?

Interesting path to take. Considering the size of the playerbase I'm sure it won't be long before most every blueprint is discovered and posted on GameFAQs or somethin'.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Canadaftw said:
Ahh Team fortress 2 and its mild RPG elements...I hope this is real because I want to be able to make half sniper rifle half minigun weapn! It would be hilarriously over powered.
I believe you would only be able to use scrap to make existing weapons:
I.E. Two Huntsmans create a Jarate.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I wonder what I could make with jarate, a hat, a flame thrower, a sandvich, and a needle gun...

dark_taint92

That's Cap'n Taint to you
Jan 26, 2009
Canadaftw said:
nope sorry to ruin you minigun with a scope dream but its just making other weapons in to already made weapons. like say if you need a backburner other items will combine to make the back burner put you'll need the blue print to make it.
any way it looks fun it'd help me get the weapons i need

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Hate to be that guy, but... Old news much? This was posted at December 12th.

But it's good anyway. Finally i will be able to do something with these stupid duplicates.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
thats awesome, i love what valve did with tf2, from back in the days when i was just a small fps bundled whit episode 2 to a huge awesome fps still able to compete whit the newest 60 euro titles (boy what game could i be talking about).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
This is why I love Valve. If only other companies continued to support their PC games this way.

tscook

Aug 9, 2009
my theory is that blueprints will be for all classes 4th weapon at some point. whoever wins demoman vs soldier just gets theirs' first

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
tscook said:
my theory is that blueprints will be for all classes 4th weapon at some point. whoever wins demoman vs soldier just gets theirs' first
hopefully the pyro's weapon is better than the backburner....

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
And TF2 is officially an RPG. Congratulations.
Better than that - it's an MMORPS! Woo!

I can't seem to get any drops. I just have a spare Backburner, so I guess this won't affect me for a looooong time...

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Amnestic said:
"Think of blueprints as recipes, but instead of making Chicken Cordon Bleu, they make guns!"
Why does Valve hate America?

Interesting path to take. Considering the size of the playerbase I'm sure it won't be long before most every blueprint is discovered and posted on GameFAQs or somethin'.
Is that such a bad thing though? I think I'd rather know what I'm making than end up with something even more useless than what I started with.

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
dark_taint92 said:
Canadaftw said:
nope sorry to ruin you minigun with a scope dream but its just making other weapons in to already made weapons. like say if you need a backburner other items will combine to make the back burner put you'll need the blue print to make it.
any way it looks fun it'd help me get the weapons i need
VGFreak1225 said:
Canadaftw said:
I believe you would only be able to use scrap to make existing weapons:
I.E. Two Huntsmans create a Jarate.
Why must you all crush my dreams of a long range, fast firing, high damage, scoped minigun? You people are like the Grinch...YOU RUINED CHRISTMAS FOR ME! *Ahem* Sorry about that but why must you crush my dreams? :"(

Beardon65

Jul 16, 2009
orangebandguy said:
Tough Guy's Toque you shall be mine!

I challenge you to find a hat more awesome than that.
Saxton Hale's hat...

That he made with his damn bare hands!