Guitar Hero Recreated Using Christmas Lights

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Guitar Hero Recreated Using Christmas Lights

Playing Dragonforce on expert with no mistakes might take some skill, but try making it through this Guitar Hero Christmas light display.

Former Disney special effects guy Ric Turner has created the flashiest version of Guitar Hero yet with a Christmas light display he developed for his house. His display isn't only for looks, it can actually be played in real time just like Guitar Hero on your television. It also uses one of my favorite Guitar Hero songs, Cliffs of Dover.

According to Ric: "Even expert Guitar Hero players have a hard time with the lights, and nobody has made it through without errors (yet)." The game is set to easy, with only three buttons required, but the timing is a bit different than the actual game. You can follow a television showing the actual game playing on the Wii, but that's cheating.

As for the technical prowess behind Ric's display, it was completed using "7 light controllers from Light-O-Rama built from kits to control 21,268 lights and LEDs. Each controller has 16 outputs and 2-3 TTL level control inputs that are used by the game system to fire different programmed light sequences depending on what happens in the game." It's definitely one of the most creative Christmas light creations I've ever seen, representing every note in Cliffs of Dover with a different sequence of lights and a very cool finish at the very end. I just can't imagine what people must think that have never played Guitar Hero or Rock Band when they drive by this display.

Source: Kotaku [http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/12/christmas_light_hero.html]

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
This may just be the coolest thing I've seen all year, as well as that guy who jumped into a wall.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
MetaKnight19 said:
This may just be the coolest thing I've seen all year, as well as that guy who jumped into a wall.
Okay, I really want context for that last one.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I gotta admit, this is cool, though I'm fairly sure the song choice is helping with that feeling. One wonders how the neighbors feel, though...

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
That is awesome!

Is it just me or do people have way more free time to concoct cool stuff like this now more than ever?

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Cliffs of Dover.

F-ck yes. My favorite song in the game, because of my dad, who had me listening to Eric Johnson music for years before the game came out.

Scikosomatic

Sep 15, 2009
HO
LY
SHIT...
as someone with experience setting up complicated lighting, trust me when I say this is quite the feat

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
And in one 4 minute video, I now feel that my house's christmas ligts are inadequate in comparision.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
MetaKnight19 said:
I don't know how to embed videos so here's the link for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vwxLGH43M

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
...Pretty badass. But, being the cynic I am, this had to cost quite frankly stupid amounts of money.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Elesar said:
...Pretty badass. But, being the cynic I am, this had to cost quite frankly stupid amounts of money.
But people always spend stupid amounts of money on their hobbies and seeing as he's an ex-special effects guy, I imagine a challenge like this would have been fun.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
MetaKnight19 said:
I don't know how to embed videos so here's the link for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vwxLGH43M
Anything I say will only detract from the hilarity of the video.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
That is pretty awesome, though I'll admit I expected a more realistic version of the game. This reminded me of the McDonalds GH toys they had a while ago. Really creative though.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
There we see the combonation of genuius, awesomeness...and too much spare time! Great though!