Tron: Evolution Announced, Prequel to Upcoming Film

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tron: Evolution Announced, Prequel to Upcoming Film

[gametrailers=59814]

Tron, the IP that turned simple videogames into life-or-death situations, is coming back for another go on next-gen systems.

Disney Interactive Studios has officially announced Tron: Evolution, a videogame prequel to the 2010 film Tron: Legacy. Evolution will serve as a lead-up into the film, providing background information and referencing its story, but will also stand as an experience of its own.

Not a whole lot is known about Evolution currently, other than what can be gleaned from the trailer. It's set between the original Tron film and the upcoming Tron: Legacy, and involves disc-based combat and light cycles. The game's major antagonist will be the trailer's virus/trojan/worm/malware-type character whose goal is to "spread, infect, and destroy everything in [his] path."

Tron: Legacy follows Sam Flynn, the son of Tron's Kevin Flynn (played by Jeff Bridges), who gets pulled into the digital world while looking for his father. The only character other than the neon-yellow virus known to be in Evolution at this time is Kevin's confidant Quorra, played by Olivia Wilde in Legacy and also voiced the by her in the game.

If not for Tron: Legacy, another Tron videogame may not have seen the light of day, as 2003's FPS-style Tron 2.0 — released for the PC, Mac, and original Xbox — did not meet sales expectations. Tron: Evolution is set for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in "holiday 2010" to coincide with Tron: Legacy's December 17, 2010 release date.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
That looked epic. Now, all of a sudden, I'm excited to see the movie. You can't say Disney is bad at advertising.

Also, the voice of the virus sounded really familiar. . . does he remind anyone else of Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts?

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
You could replace the characters with someone who looked like Neo and I wouldn't have a hard time believing this is a new Matrix game. Granted, this is probably just from the music and the city backdrop.

Looks pretty, but I'll hold out for some gameplay videos. It's the kind of thing that could fail quite horribly from here if they get the gameplay wrong, or it's the usual game made to sold with the movie that just doesn't have any depth to it. Still, nice trailer.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Tron 2.0 was a fun game; I'm really not sure why it didn't sell better. Haven't seen this trailer yet (I'm at work right now and they block video), but I'll definitely add it to the "must look at later" pile.