Valve Announces First L4D2 DLC Featuring Original Survivors

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Rev up those chainsaws, Survivors: Valve has announced the first DLC campaign for Left 4 Dead 2, bringing both groups of Survivors - new and old alike - together in "The Passing."

While the datamined DLC hints found in the L4D2 demo merely placeholders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95830-Fans-Find-Left-4-Dead-2-DLC-Hints-in-Demo-Code], it seems that there was a grain of truth to them: The game contained character portraits for the first four Left 4 Dead survivors as well as the new quartet, and the very first piece of DLC for the game will in fact bring both groups together.

Targeted for release on PC and Xbox 360 in early spring 2010, "The Passing" brings Zoey, Louis, Bill and Francis down South for a run-in with Coach, Rochelle, Ellis and Nick. According to the official press release, the new campaign takes place immediately after "Dead Center," the game's intro - after escaping the mall in Savannah thanks to the stock car of racing legend Jimmy Gibbs, Jr., the L4D2 survivors encounter the first quartet in a small rural Georgian town.

Though the press release only mentions being able to play as the L4D2 cast in the normal campaign mode as they meet up with the L4D1 folk, it also says that "The Passing" will "include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play." Presumably we'll be able to choose any of the eight in Survival and Scavenge, and this "new co-operative challenge mode" makes me think that there will be a mode specifically designed for all eight Survivors to be played at once - in other words, an official Left 16 Dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96303-Left-16-Dead-Doesnt-Go-Very-Well] (16 if you include the zombies, that is).

The new campaign will also introduce a brand-new "uncommon common" zombie (if I'm reading that right, not like the Spitter, Hunter et al, but like the CEDA agents, clowns, or riot police zombies unique to each campaign) as well as a new melee weapon and gun.

"The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign," said Valve's VP of Marketing, Doug Lombardi. "It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry."

New melee weapon, eh? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Reaper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/6009-Stolen-Pixels-85-Left-4-Dumb-Part-7].

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Wiiiiiiiiie!

Any word on what/if it costs something on the PC? (maybe a stupid question)

DObs

Jul 4, 2009
Woo, cant wait! I miss Bill - hope they give em all a bunch of new dialogue. My money in on the new melee weapon being a spade.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
cant wait for my free update, haha boy its sure is good being a pc gamer when valve is in charge.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
If it's a broom just to be ironic, I think I'll shit a brick.
Please let it be a broom, Valve!
Also, I was hoping to play as the original survivors in L4D2, just to hear Francis's reaction to picking up a chainsaw.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Let's hope they can do this right, I hated playing the 16-man servers in L4D2, it was disastrous.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
BluePunctuation said:
8 survivors + 8 special infected = 16 players.
but that includes zombies, unlike all proper left(number of SURVIVORS)dead
still a fail.
ANNNDD i bet it'll still just be 8 players, as two TEAMS of survivors co-competing to finish a level congruently, occasionally working together for common obsticles

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Rev up those chainsaws, Survivors: Valve has announced the first DLC campaign for Left 4 Dead 2, bringing both groups of Survivors - new and old alike - together in "The Passing."

While the datamined DLC hints found in the L4D2 demo merely placeholders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95830-Fans-Find-Left-4-Dead-2-DLC-Hints-in-Demo-Code], it seems that there was a grain of truth to them: The game contained character portraits for the first four Left 4 Dead survivors as well as the new quartet, and the very first piece of DLC for the game will in fact bring both groups together.

Targeted for release on PC and Xbox 360 in early spring 2010, "The Passing" brings Zoey, Louis, Bill and Francis down South for a run-in with Coach, Rochelle, Ellis and Nick. According to the official press release, the new campaign takes place immediately after "Dead Center," the game's intro - after escaping the mall in Savannah thanks to the stock car of racing legend Jimmy Gibbs, Jr., the L4D2 survivors encounter the first quartet in a small rural Georgian town.

Though the press release only mentions being able to play as the L4D2 cast in the normal campaign mode as they meet up with the L4D1 folk, it also says that "The Passing" will "include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play." Presumably we'll be able to choose any of the eight in Survival and Scavenge, and this "new co-operative challenge mode" makes me think that there will be a mode specifically designed for all eight Survivors to be played at once - in other words, an official Left 16 Dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96303-Left-16-Dead-Doesnt-Go-Very-Well] (16 if you include the zombies, that is).

The new campaign will also introduce a brand-new "uncommon common" zombie (if I'm reading that right, not like the Spitter, Hunter et al, but like the CEDA agents, clowns, or riot police zombies unique to each campaign) as well as a new melee weapon and gun.

"The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign," said Valve's VP of Marketing, Doug Lombardi. "It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry."

New melee weapon, eh? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Reaper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/6009-Stolen-Pixels-85-Left-4-Dumb-Part-7].

Funk, hate to tell you but you got ninja'd by at least 2 and a half hours...

Uber Polarbear said:
Valve has unveiled the first of many expansion packs for Left 4 Dead 2.

Titled "The Passing," this new downloadable add-on will see the original Left 4 Dead survivors, Francis, Bill, Zoey, and Louis, crossing paths with the current L4D2 cast.

This new campaign takes place after the Dead Center mission in Left 4 Dead 2, and packs plenty of new singleplayer, mutliplayer, and co-op features.

"The Passing" includes new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode, as well as introducing a new "co-operative challenge mode of play." Also included is a new "uncommon common" zombie class, melee weapon, and firearm.

"The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry."

No price or release details were given, but Valve said it's targeting an "early spring" launch.

Read original article at: http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/105/1054953p1.html

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
What are the odds that the first survivors are either mutating or die in the act so Valve don't have to work on L4D1 anymore.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Hopefully Valve will continue in their goal of creating more character development, meaning that not only do we learn more about the new survivors, but the original ones as well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
wordsmith said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Funk, hate to tell you but you got ninja'd by at least 2 and a half hours...

Uber Polarbear said:
Valve has unveiled the first of many expansion packs for Left 4 Dead 2.

Titled "The Passing," this new downloadable add-on will see the original Left 4 Dead survivors, Francis, Bill, Zoey, and Louis, crossing paths with the current L4D2 cast.

This new campaign takes place after the Dead Center mission in Left 4 Dead 2, and packs plenty of new singleplayer, mutliplayer, and co-op features.

"The Passing" includes new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode, as well as introducing a new "co-operative challenge mode of play." Also included is a new "uncommon common" zombie class, melee weapon, and firearm.

"The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry."

No price or release details were given, but Valve said it's targeting an "early spring" launch.

Read original article at: http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/105/1054953p1.html
As always, forum threads mean absolutely nothing when it comes to what we post in the News Room. Sometimes we will take interesting stories from the forum (see: Norwegian spiral), but for the vast majority of the time, it's completely irrelevant to the news we post on the front page of the site. Not everyone reads the forums, and we have certain standards to uphold that require writeups beyond just throwing out a link.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If they add 'the Reaper' aka a broom it would mean these guys read the escapist mag! which is awesome XD

looking forward to this 'best be free' on PC release ^-^

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Awww, I totally thought of this before, but never posted it. I wish I had, for the bragging rights.

Still, this is awesome. I wonder if it'll come out for L4D1 and L4D2, keeping their promise of L4D2 post-release content for L4D1, or maybe even letting players with one game play with players in the other. (although I wonder how they'll handle new special infected in L4D1).