Wizard101 Sells In-Game Mount for Charity

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wizard101 Sells In-Game Mount for Charity

Free-to-play MMOG Wizard101 is selling a special in-game mount and donating the proceeds to charity, showing that you don't have to be an industry juggernaut like WoW to help a worthy cause.

Wizard101, a free-to-play MMOG set in a wizarding school (much like a certain Book-Series-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named), is hopping aboard the Child's Play wagon with its special Meowmodon [https://www.wizard101.com/game/promotions/charity] mount, a black-and-white tiger-thing that sells for 7,500 Crowns, the game's currency - approximately $15 in real-world money.

The developers, Kingsisle Entertainment, will be donating the proceeds from every Meowmodon sold to not one but two charities: Penny Arcade's Child's Play as well as the Austin Children's Shelter, an institution that "provides emergency shelter and care for abused and neglected children." The proceeds will be split evenly, which means that a single Meowmodon sends approximately $7.50 to each charity.

"We have an opportunity to give back by tapping into the power of our Wizard101 community - our 5 million players can make a real difference to deserving children," said Elie Akilian, CEO of KingsIsle Entertainment. "We chose these organizations because we wanted to support the communities that we are a part of - one located in the same city as our design studio and another with global reach, just like Wizard101."

The tiger mount will be available in the in-game shop from December 14, 2009 (that's yesterday) through January 5, 2010. So if you play Wizard101, and have an extra $15 lying around, why not? It's for a damn good cause.

(Via WarCry [http://www.warcry.com/news/view/96848-Wizard101-Unveils-New-Mount-to-Raise-Money-for-Childrens-Charities])

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
First time I've heard of this "Wizard 101"

I'm glad that something small (in mmo standards(I'm guessing?)) is donating to a cause :)

[sup][sup]Though my Sadistic side is telling me that they are profiting from it[/sup][/sup]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dududf said:

I'm glad that something small (in mmo standards(I'm guessing?)) is donating to a cause :)

[sup][sup]Though my Sadistic side is telling me that they are profiting from it[/sup][/sup]
Considering all the proceeds are donated, it's hard to imagine how they'd profit from it... :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think its really cool. Its a free to play game, with this optional side parting...It dosnt obligate you to it, and, its for a good cause.

Seems win-win to me. The best kind of victory!

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
dududf said:

Considering all the proceeds are donated, it's hard to imagine how they'd profit from it... :p
Free publicity?

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
UltimatheChosen said:
Free publicity?
Don't have kids do you? They aren't worried about free publicity as they air commercials all day and night long on Nickelodeon, Disney, Cartoon Network, and any other kids channel you can think of.

Not to mention kids talk about it at school and next thing you know you are playing into the wee hours of the morning helping your son (or daughter) get that next spell card. Of course they feel asleep on your lap 3 hours ago.

An in-game mount cost them a little bit of time in art and engineer. Its a win for the charity and the players who donate. It is a cool mount. I should know my son has one.

Jul 22, 2005
Delmar Wynn said:
Of course they feel asleep on your lap 3 hours ago.

It is a cool mount. I should know my son has one.
Granted, one of your older sons hasn't fallen asleep on your lap in some 14 years, but he does still have the mount:

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
dududf said:

My Sadistic side is telling me they are profiting in some shape or form.

So, to continue on my Sadism (that was cleverly hidden in [*sup][*/sup] They are getting publicity.

Hell, right now the Escapist put out news of this, and it's pretty likely that a reader of this will infact try the game out.

Then factor in when the Charity deal is over, there will be some jelousy as people will be on these mounts flaunting the "It was for a good cause" getting other people to buy said mount even after the charity deal is done.
[/speculatory-Sadist-Mode-that-doesn't-believe-in-corporations-do-good-for-no-return]