Nintendo Trademarks Zii, Cii, Bii, Oii and Yii

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo Trademarks Zii, Cii, Bii, Oii and Yii

Several sources report that Nintendo has filed a trademark for the following words that may or may not rhyme with Wii: Zii, Cii, Bii, Oii and Yii.

According to some digging by Silicon Era [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/14/what-is-the-nintendo-zii/], Nintendo filed trademarks in Japan for the names and that the request was processed on October 30, 2009 but it didn't hit the Japanese trademark database until today. The request may have been a protection against other companies filing trademarks similar to the Wii. The trademark was apparently originally filed in 2007 and this latest was merely a renewal of the original request.

So what the hell is a Zii?

Despite Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime firmly denying that an HD Wii was in development, a Zii or a Yii might be such a device. Perhaps a Bii or a Cii (pronounced See or Kee?) is an unannounced peripheral for the popular console. My money is that the Oii is an adult-oriented vibrating pleasure stick. Oii!

Creative is also working on an Android device with name ZII, but it wouldn't compete because of the capital letters. I can only imagine that Nintendo wants to protect its trademarks as much as it can, and this request is just to block more companies like Creative from using a similar name.

Source: Silicon Era [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/14/what-is-the-nintendo-zii/]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Where's Xii?

They have at least three more consoles they could bring out if they went Wii, Xii, Yii, Zii.

Silly Nintendo, not planning ahead.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
HAHA! i can still make a Vii, in your face Nintendo.

this is quite weird, btw how much does it cost to trademark a word, i may or may not want trademark somethings.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Okay, now I know they're making crap up. If they spent as much time on the new Zelda as they did on trademarking stupid names, it would be out by now.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Oii, the jewish nintendo.(really bad joke, I know) Why doesn't Nintendo change the last two letters instead. At least it will make me sound manly when I say "I was pwning noobs on the Nintendo Win."

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It could just be that they are trying to prevent more Viis frome coming out.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Okay, now I know they're making crap up. If they spent as much time on the new Zelda as they did on trademarking stupid names, it would be out by now.
They're only doing this to protect their product from copy-cats like the Vii.

And I'm pretty sure that the Zelda team doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo's robot ninja legal team of doom anyway.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
This strikes me as Knock Off Protection more than anything. Prevents other products from "Masquerading" as the Wii to less informed consumers and so on. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
This strikes me as Knock Off Protection more than anything. Prevents other products from "Masquerading" as the Wii to less informed consumers and so on. Not a bad thing in my opinion.
Sadly most people don't realize this.
Mr. Fister said:
Macgyvercas said:
They're only doing this to protect their product from copy-cats like the Vii.

And I'm pretty sure that the Zelda team doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo's robot ninja legal team of doom anyway.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
"I present...Ze Zii!"

I would have loved for it to be called that...so many reasons to develop bad accents!

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
the official Nintendo alfabet: Aii Bii Cii Dii Eii Fii Gii Hii Iii Jii Kii Lii Mii Nintendo Oii Pii Qii Rii Sii Tii Uii Vii Wii Xii Yii Zii (product of Nintendo)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
swaki said:
HAHA! i can still make a Vii, in your face Nintendo.

this is quite weird, btw how much does it cost to trademark a word, i may or may not want trademark somethings.
Vii - the German Wii!

They seriously have no foresight.

Actually, thinking about that - what do they call Wiis in Germany?
just WII you cant translate names unless your name is 4kids

little bear

Nov 1, 2009
little lost on the topic but what's basically going on here are...legal issues? concerning Nintendo's wii's name and chinese copy-catters?

because If I'm right, Nintendo still needs to deal with the boot-leg N64 consoles being imported over here.