Console Thefts Up 285 Percent

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Console Thefts Up 285 Percent

The holidays are here and to celebrate the spirit of the season, the FBI [http://www.fbi.gov/] has released figures showing that videogame console thefts have jumped a whopping 285 percent over the past three years.

The pressure to come across with the goods during the holidays is enormous, but some folks just really hate shopping for presents. The compromise solution? Avoid long lines and high prices by busting into somebody's house and taking their stuff. It's not an ideal solution, no, but more and more people seem to think that the risk of going to jail is more palatable than fighting the crowds at the mall.

Game console theft has absolutely skyrocketed since 2007, according to figures recently released by the FBI, when 11,074 consoles were reported stolen. That number nearly doubled in 2008 to 21,732 and then doubled again for 2009, with 42,615 systems swiped.

"Local and state police officers routinely see a spike in these type of crimes during the holiday season," said FBI Special Agent Jason Pack. "Stolen electronics are easily sold on the street for quick cash."

Game systems are popular targets of theft in large part because they're so much smaller than other high-value items. "Criminals are rational. They steal things that have high value, are easily transportable and easily sold," noted University of Massachusetts-Lowell criminologist Larry J. Siegel. "The most expensive thing in my house is my refrigerator, but nobody is trying to steal my refrigerator."

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-12-15-gadget_N.htm]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Avoid long lines and high prices by busting into somebody's house and taking their stuff.
Shouldn't there be a way to trace these consoles?

I mean, if Microsoft can mass ban you, can't they be your Onstar too?

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Well, makes sense - console values have gone up considerably in the last 3 years. A PS3 or 360 can sell quick, and for a damn good price on a non-traceable site like Craigslist (by non-traceable I mean difficult to trace).

Monkeytacoz said:
why would you steal a console? steal a PC instead
A PC is heavier, and what are they going to do? Lug the mouse, keyboard, and monitor with it?

hansari said:
Andy Chalk said:
Avoid long lines and high prices by busting into somebody's house and taking their stuff.

Technically, yes. But then you have to remember not everyone plays online, and why would they want to assume this role? It would require a greater expense on their end, interacting with the police, and setting up more servers/tech with maintenance staff than they already have to run XBL/PSN. With no public demand, why would any business undertake such an endeavor?

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Furburt said:
Nova5 said:
A PC is heavier, and what are they going to do? Lug the mouse, keyboard, and monitor with it?
Thats why nobody steals mine!
Damn right, man! Buy those tower cases big an' heavy, manufactured from solid steel with a 32" monitor. It's not only a better gaming experience - it's a theft deterrent!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nova5 said:
Monkeytacoz said:
Damn, beaten to this.

Anywho, ok, console theft is up alot, but I thought console ownership was up alot too? Maybe we've just reached the critical mass where their wipe spread enough for criminals to realise their value?

The Brewin

Aug 23, 2009
this is incredibly misleading really. More people own consoles now, look at the sales of the freaking Wii... so as a result when burglaries occur no doubt they are gonna take the console. This isnt a case that simply more people want to steal consoles...just that there are more consoles to steal

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
hansari said:
Andy Chalk said:

I know/knew someone who did that. His console was stolen, he found the guy online along with his address, told the guy online that he stole his Xbox, then went to the guy's house and stole it back.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Nova5 said:
Furburt said:
Nova5 said:
Damn right, man! Buy those tower cases big an' heavy, manufactured from solid steel with a 32" monitor. It's not only a better gaming experience - it's a theft deterrent!
Yeah, but when you need to move you need to dismantle the thing, or get an elephant to haul it.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I knew there was a reason why I bought a tiny GPS transponder and hid it in the casing. A little overboard on the security aspect, but a problem solved nonetheless.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Monkeytacoz said:
Far too bulky, plus, they would want to take everything else with it. They just want to pick up, and go.

Which im glad for, Dont want my PC going walkies...

Although had my Wii stolen last christmas...wasnt impressed

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Furburt said:
Nova5 said:
because everything is put together like an apple II? lol

I assume they wouldn't steal the cheapest fucking parts of your computer.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Jaredin said:
Monkeytacoz said:
Far too bulky, plus, they would want to take everything else with it. They just want to pick up, and go.

Which im glad for, Dont want my PC going walkies...

Although had my Wii stolen last christmas...wasnt impressed
You put your hand on the back of the case
pull out the wires
pick it up
and go

notice the difference from stealing a console

reach around the tv
rip out the wires
pick it up
and go

The difference is the TV and how you need to reach around the damn thing to pull the wires, therefore stealing a computer is easier because you can always pick up a cheap ass monitor somewhere else.

Muffinthraka

Aug 6, 2009
I get around this by always staying several years behind the trend. For last xmas my sis bought me a ps2 and a couple of months ago I bought an xbox (not 360). These are the first consoles I have ever owned.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I wonder if console thefts has gone up because more people have consoles or because consoles are considered more mainstream then 10 years ago

Cookie for anyone who gives me an answer