Final Fantasy XIV Beta Apps Open for Business

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy XIV Beta Apps Open for Business

If you're lucky, it's time to get your Final Fantasy on, next-gen MMORPG style.

Square Enix has opened up beta applications for its upcoming PC and PS3 MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV. This will be the first chance for gamers to experience the new gameplay systems Square Enix is said to be implementing in the game that differ from typical MMORPG conventions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93648-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Will-Have-Jobs-Wont-Have-Levels-or-Experience].

Applying is easy. First, visit the go here first [http://entry.ffxiv.com/]) and fill out the information required on the application page. I just found it a little strange that Square Enix forces you to say you run a fansite of some kind in the very last question. The beta is currently only taking place for the Windows version of the game, with details for the PlayStation 3 version coming along later.

In a recent interview with Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada], Square Enix president Yoichi Wada said World of Warcraft is very tough competition, but he believes Final Fantasy XIV will be a serious rival. This is in part due to whatever Blizzard's next MMOG will be, as Wada points out that it is unlikely for a company to have the number one and number two MMOGs at the same time, giving FFXIV a chance to steal some thunder. It could happen, I suppose, especially if Square Enix implements everything it says it will into FFXIV, including a focus on viable solo play. Those lucky enough to get into the beta will be able to see if Wada is full of hot air, or if he has some substance behind his predictions.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
"Region is different".

Wow, why am I not surprised to see an Asian developer NOT caring about the Western audience.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Abedeus said:
"Region is different".

Wow, why am I not surprised to see an Asian developer NOT caring about the Western audience.
What are you talking about? Square-Enix has gone a long way to support the Western markets in recent years.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Jonci said:
Abedeus said:
"Region is different".

What are you talking about? Square-Enix has gone a long way to support the Western markets in recent years.
Yes, this explains why I can't get into the beta.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Well, I'm all signed up and good.

I imported my copy of FFXI from the US, and thus had to create an American Square Enix account to go with that, and as a final consequence had to apply for the FFXIV beta through the American section of the beta site.

Still, it let me set my actual Swedish address, and Sweden as my country of residence, so it shouldn't do any harm.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So...Wait...they think they'll be serious competition for WoW because "There's no way Blizzard can make two awesome juggernaughts and run them at once, right!? AMIRIGHT?HEHEheh..heh...oh god"

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Abedeus said:
Jonci said:
Abedeus said:
"Region is different".

I had that same thing here in the UK. I see from your profile you're in Poland, so both European (is Poland also PAL?). Hopefully it'll be rectified by the morning...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Already put in my App. I hope I get a chance. Will be fun!

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
I was interested in perhaps getting this for the PS3, but while it may be stupid of me to think there wouldn't be subscription fees, I was pretty disappointed when I found out there will be.

The thought of having to pay an extra $10 a month for a game I already bought doesn't seem right, so I suppose I'll be giving this a pass.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I get the same stupid "Region is different" message every time I try to log in as well. Has it got something to do with the entire EU/UK login system, or is just because the rest of the world still hasn't quite got used to the idea of Australia existing yet?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Jonci said:
Well don't know where you are, but that sucks for your area.
He's from Poland, and I'm from the UK. Both of us are getting the same thing so it must be NA and JAP only.

I guess "western" means "North American" in this case...

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I have a European Square Enix account, to get into the UK beta you must have one, the NA account will only work for the NA beta, although i do have an NA account as well it refuses to recognize my account.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Trivun said:
Abedeus said:
Jonci said:
Abedeus said:
"Region is different".

I had that same thing here in the UK. I see from your profile you're in Poland, so both European (is Poland also PAL?). Hopefully it'll be rectified by the morning...
Yep, Poland has been PAL for some time. They can't get it right, it seems..

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
Looking forward to this beta. Loved FFXI as well, just was enamoured with WoW when it hit the scene, so I moved over. Maybe going back will be even more fun this time around with the promised enhancements.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Jonci said:
Well don't know where you are, but that sucks for your area.
He's from Poland, and I'm from the UK. Both of us are getting the same thing so it must be NA and JAP only.

I guess "western" means "North American" in this case...
If I were you, I'd try again. No way the UK should be excluded. If they already have French and German localizations, they aren't about to skip a major country of Europe. Maybe the servers were having a bad day.