Klingons Only Playable During PVP in Star Trek Online

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Klingons Only Playable During PVP in Star Trek Online

A Cryptic Studios representative has confirmed that you will only be able to play as a Klingon in the PvP sections of Star Trek Online.

Today, Jack Emmert confirmed on the Star Trek: Online forums that yes, indeed, you will only be able to advance your character as a Klingon when undergoing PvP missions. The news on Klingons was first brought to light during a STOked [http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?cat=377] podcast interview with Daniel Stahl, producer of Star Trek: Online.

"Yes, Klingon gameplay is almost entirely PvP," said Emmert, the chief creative officer of Cryptic Studios in a stickied announcement [http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=42062]. "We are trying to get some PvE in (there's already a tad bit). And, if the players demand it, we'll add more content (like episodes). I want us to be agile as a company and respond to what the customers want."

Emmert added that MMOGs are not just the game they are at launch and pledges to add more PvE Klilngon content if that is what players want.

The podcast interview with Stahl gives a little bit more detail on Klingon PvP (around 36:00 in the video linked above.) Players will be able to level up a Klingon character in the same way as a Federation character with similar skill trees and talents. The difference is that most of the missions a Klingon character will undertake involve attacking Federation players. "You can't just tell a Klingon that your objective is to go explore the galaxy and, you know, meet new cultures. [laughs] They have a completely different objective system," Stahl said. "You have to shoot things in order to level up as a Klingon."

Stahl said that STO is handling PvP much differently then LOTRO's Monster Play as the Klingons are full characters. "It's just as robust a power tree system," said Stahl and the only real difference is the content at which you are pointed.

The entire podcast covers a lot of information (and is quite long) but if you're getting excited about STO as much as I am, then it's worth a listen. Or watch, I guess. Looking at 3 fat dudes talking into microphones about aliens and ships gets a little old.

Source: Jupiter Broadcasting [http://ims.warcry.com/module/96/ims_news/add_news]

blitz609

Sep 11, 2008
Personally if the missions are all PvP oriented objectives, I think they will be a nice change from the standard PvE missions/quests MMOs are so fond of. This vid made me want to play a Klingon for sure.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
looks cool. i find it tempting, really depends on what kind of time investment it wans..

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
mmm this may sound kind of mean coming from someone who considers himself a trekie, but is anyone actually going to play this game?

I've watched every episode of Star Trek at least once in my life, most twice or more, I own the DVDs (and in some cases even VHS), I've seen the movies, I've even read some of the books... however... as good as the series can be when it's not being skull raped by B&B (I hate those guys) it just doesn't lend it self very well to a game system.

The Star Trek universe has too many "god" (transporters/relicators/holodecks/etc) devices that have to be conveniently disabled for the plot of any given game/episode otherwise people say "err duh why don't you just use the transporters?"

And I can't see a mix of ship/ground combat/exploration ever working.

Star Wars can get away with a lot of the stuff they have because a) very little in the way of "god" devices (do the Jedi count?) and b) they've got a larger time-scale to work with.

I just don't see a Star Trek game ever being more then a small market.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
tkioz said:
The Star Trek universe has too many "god" (transporters/relicators/holodecks/etc) devices that have to be conveniently disabled for the plot of any given game/episode otherwise people say "err duh why don't you just use the transporters?"
Good point, man. It will be really interesting if they can pull a MMOG out of this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
008Zulu said:
I hope they arn't all PvP orientated, don't really like PvP. Big thanks to xbox live there.
Much the same here. If it is all PvP im not going to be latching on for very long...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wow, guess the galaxy is a Humans-only club. This is plain BS from the word go. These dorks should know a large portion of the potential players would want to play as a Klingon, and now they are going to kill any potential sales with this....quite possibly even mine. If it was a matter of lacking for mission ideas, there's a lot of people out here who would be happy to chip in. Grrrr. I have to wonder if this is something from Atari?
008Zulu said:
I hope they arn't all PvP orientated, don't really like PvP. Big thanks to xbox live there.
I agree with you there, though I would enjoy PVP in this case, just not PVP only. Where's the fun of taking back planets from the Romulans? Hunting down members of the House of Duras? Dealing with piracy and the borg in Empire space? Finding new planets with resources for the Empire? It's obviously not going to be in Star Trek Online, which is ironic with a trailer featuring the Klingons for the game.
Greg Tito said:
"You can't just tell a Klingon that your objective is to go explore the galaxy and, you know, meet new cultures. [laughs] They have a completely different objective system," Stahl said. "You have to shoot things in order to level up as a Klingon."
Wow, way to promote stereotyping there. If Worf isn't alive during this time the game takes place in, the better he's off.
Well I won't be preordering this, and it may even be a year before I decide whether or not to. Unfortunately for Cryptic and Atari, quite a few others might think the same way, and that might hurt game development. But I am not putting money down for narrow mindedness and laziness.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
That revelation fills me with a really angry form of Meh. I like the Klingons, but I am not interested in playing them at all. I am not sure if I am going to play this one because I am pretty sure that I cannot play a Romulan or a Cardassian in this game. I would rather search the Delta Quadrant or the Gamma Quadrant than patrol the border between the Klingons and the Federation.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
the guy whit the sun glasses is kinda rude and arrogant, he says some smart, entertaining and relevant things along the way but still, also Greg Tito, was it really necessary to call them fat?, the guy in the middle is overweight, granted, but after using them as a source of information i think its rude and uncalled for to call them all fat.

ot: i understand that if they wish to stay true to the original material Klingon's cant be the classic adventures that ride around on space ponies helping citizens all over the galaxy's, but if you cant figure out a way to make them a full playable race then you shouldn't be making a star trek mmorpg, it seems like they just slapped them in there to pleasure the fans, don't make a game just to pleasure the fans.

Woem

May 28, 2009
tkioz said:
Greg Tito said:
tkioz said:
Good point, man. It will be really interesting if they can pull a MMOG out of this.
Did they really leave out those devices? Wouldn't it be more realistic if they gave everyone full access to those resources? It would be equally balanced whether they give no-one access to them, or if they give everyone full access.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Greg Tito said:
tkioz said:
Actually, it's not that hard to make a believable Star Trek game. The Starfleet Command series did a good job of showing how you can adapt the world to a gameplay perspective: one of them even had a sort of MMO territorial control mode where people picked factions and then battled it out until one side controlled the galaxy.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Woem said:
tkioz said:
Greg Tito said:
tkioz said:
Did they really leave out those devices? Wouldn't it be more realistic if they gave everyone full access to those resources? It would be equally balanced whether they give no-one access to them, or if they give everyone full access.
As far as I know they are in the game, the problem is making the game interesting, how would you go about a standard MMO collection quest? I saw a good Penny Arcade Comic on it a while back.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/13/

Maybe every planet has some transporter blocking technobable.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
To be honest, I would have been more impressed if they said that they intended to be rigid about the Klingon objectives. To say that a race's creed IS combat, and IS confrontational, and that to play as that race, you will have to play more than a cut out template that molds into the rest of the game just as any other template.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Well I was probably gonna go Federation anyway, but this might be an interesting///fun change of pace, to be honest.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
blitz609 said:
Personally if the missions are all PvP oriented objectives, I think they will be a nice change from the standard PvE missions/quests MMOs are so fond of. This vid made me want to play a Klingon for sure.
For me it also makes the prospect of playing the federation more interesting, as when you get a mission to the edge of the terrority there actually is a risk of a player coming along to try and kick your arse. More importantly trying to beat you for his mission, not just to be annoying.