XBLA Indie Game Tries to Help You Talk to Girls

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
XBLA Indie Game Tries to Help You Talk to Girls

A new XBLA indie game aims to help men work on their conversation skills with women.

Ever wondered how to talk to girls without sweating profusely and making them hate your guts in the process? Well, you're not in luck, because Don't B Nervous Talking 2 Girls (a title that feels like it should have an "lol" in it) won't help with that at all. The Xbox Live Arcade Indie title does, however, have an amusing concept behind it.

The goal of the game is to get 20-ish year old valley girl Jessica's phone number in various locations across the town. You are graded by how long it takes, and a certain average grade is required to enter new locations. Gameplay is very simple, often requiring the player to choose the correct of two choices. If you get it wrong, you try again.

Things to get somewhat more "complicated" when you get to know Jessica better. For example, when I met her in the library and eventually broke down her tough exterior, she needed help with her math homework. She asked me a real stumper (*spoiler warning*): 4+7-1x7. Apparently, she's in the third grade, but I'm going to guess she's been held back for a decade or so and the game developers aren't asking you to do anything illegal. I got it right, and I then had five seconds to memorize her phone number. Questions did get harder later on in the coffee shop, where I had to figure out the birthstone for the month of May.

Don't B Nervous Talking 2 Girls is only $1, but after trying the demo there doesn't seem to be much gameplay in it. To some, it may be worth $1 just to ogle at the girl, but not really for me. Try the demo to see if it's for you, as long as you don't expect to actually gain any female conversation skills. For those, you may have to consult something that isn't a videogame.

(Via: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/10/xbox-360-game-wants-to-help-you-talk-to-women/])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
GamingAwesome1 said:
That's....partially insulting and partially hilarious.
Yeah...

Although, saw it been played on 4PP and it looked fairly entertaining...at least to watch.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
where I had to figure out the birthstone for the month of May.
What on bloody Earth is a 'birthstone'?

Sounds like a very basic dating sim to me. Fairly certain Japan's been well ahead of these indie devs for a while now. Ah well, suppose if the guys make some cash off it they can make something better.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Can't be any worse than Street Fighter IV.

Ba-dum-tish! [http://instantrimshot.com/]

JoGribbs

May 3, 2009
Saw the quick look on Giant Bomb. I thought FMV was over, but it seems to have risen from the grave ready to strike again.

I am a nerd though, so if any game can really teach me how to talk to girls, that'd be swell! Get on it indie devs! Jinkees!

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
Pathetic. Only a really insecure, socially inept, sorry excuse for a human being would ever buy such a sad game. Even then I don't think it would help them that much if they're too scared to go talk to a real life girl in the first place.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Sparrow said:
Can't be any worse than Street Fighter IV.

Ba-dum-tish! [http://instantrimshot.com/]
w00t! instantrimshot!
1st time i've seen it posted here.
still, amusing article for amusing game,

zmanu

Nov 18, 2009
Why report on this thing and not the ten or twenty actually good XBL Indie Games?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
where I had to figure out the birthstone for the month of May.
What on bloody Earth is a 'birthstone'?
Ask and ye shall receive [http://www.galleries.com/Minerals/birthsto.htm]. Basically it's a precious gem of some sort that they decided should be associated with a given birth month. It's mainly something women care about since guys don't much tend to go in for jewelry as a rule. Apparently mine is an emerald.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Why pay a dollar when you can go to just about any flash games site and play just about the same thing for free.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I think I'd rather pay a homeless guy the money and get half an hours worth of coaching from him.

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
I find this stupid, Talk to a girl just like you would talk to a guy, it works every time, unless your the kind of person who talks about tits to his friends 24/7

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Wow...they've got a free (Unreal) engine to play with and they choose to make this? I've played H-game dating sims that are way better than this...