Duke Nukem Forever Designers Speak Out

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Duke Nukem Forever Designers Speak Out

Former employees of 3D Realms explained why Duke Nukem Forever took forever: too many resources, overwhelming perfectionism and the lack of a deadline.

In May of 2009, it was announced that all development on Duke Nukem Forever ceased. 3D Realms had been making the game since 1997, under the helm of lead designer George Broussard. Despite showing well at trade shows and possessing a rabid fanbase, Duke Nukem Forever never materialized and there was never a clear reason why. 3D Realms is now being sued by Take Two for never delivering the game so Broussard has refused to speak with the press about the process. However, former employees, some anonymously, discussed with Wired [http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/] their experiences at 3D Realms and their opinions on why DNF eventually failed.

The staff had a running joke to not let Broussard play any new game, because he would invariably want to incorporate elements of it into DNF. "One day George started pushing for snow levels," said an anonymous employee. "He had seen The Thing [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)] and he wanted it." Another employee claimed that after Half-Life came out, Broussard entered the office praising the opening narrative sequence and said, "Oh my God, we have to have that in Duke Nukem Forever."

"George's genius was realizing where games were going and taking it to the next level," says Paul Schuytema, who worked on Prey with Broussard. "That was his sword and his Achilles' heel. He'd rather throw himself on his sword and kill himself than have the game be bad."

Broussard was also in a unique position after the success of Duke Nukem 3D: 3D Realms had a lot of money. The company had so much money in the bank to continue development that it might have stifled the desire to ship the game. "One day, Broussard came in and said, 'We could go another five years without shipping a game'" one employee said. "He seemed really happy about that. The other people just groaned." Another developer said, "I was hoping for George to come in and say, 'OK, that was great, we got what we wanted, let's get this done now! But he never did."

Then there was the constant rebooting of the project whenever a new game engine was released. 3D Realms licensed the Quake II engine in 1997 for a reported $500,000. When the Unreal engine was released a few months later, they decided to use that one instead. "It was effectively a reboot of the project in many respects," said former programmer Chris Hargrove. DNF switched engines again in 1999 when new Unreal engine came out.

12 years is an eternity in game development and the lack of any clear direction from Broussard seems to have been a major cause of the delay. It's a tragedy for the creator, but I feel worse for the other artists who worked on a game that will most likely never get played. Imagine a movie that spends 12 years being edited or a play that rehearses for 12 years without ever being seen. Those contributors put a lot into the project with almost nothing to show for it but some crazy anecdotes about the mad genius that was their boss.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/]

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
...So it took so long because those guys were IDIOTS.
You're not making a giant masterpiece, you're making fucking duke nukem.

Feb 13, 2008
Pardon me for saying this, but that's not genius. That's stupidity.

If you're taking 12 years to make something that never even ...exists...

Let's put it this way, if you were playing WoW for 12 years, 40+ hours a week, and at the end of it, someone deletes your character - would you be hailed as a genius or a social outcast?

I'm sure he has some great ideas but... Twelve Years? People get less than that for murder.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pardon me for saying this, but that's not genius. That's stupidity.

If you're taking 12 years to make something that never even ...exists...

Let's put it this way, if you were playing WoW for 12 years, 40+ hours a week, and at the end of it, someone deletes your character - would you be hailed as a genius or a social outcast?

I'm sure he has some great ideas but... Twelve Years? People get less than that for murder.

...well you could just ticket a GM to get your character restored ;>

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Kinda sad that they wasted all that time on nothing.

All that money, talent and dedication gone to waste... While they could be working on something else...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Why are you people still giving any attention to them? They wasted time of hundreds of Duke Nukem fans and money of investors. They deserve to be laughed at and ignored.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Being over-ambitious is never a good thing.

Truly a shame. It's almost sad.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
3D Realms, there's no fucking excuse for having a game in-development for 12 goddamned years. 12 fucking years? No. You guys weren't perfectionists, you guys weren't over-achievers, you guys were lazy. You didn't fucking work on the game, you pissed around. And so I was glad when you went under, and that Take Two is suing you. Serves you right for jerking around for so damned long.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...its dead now, unfortunatly. Long rest Duke Nukem and the game we will never have.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
...but I feel worse for the other artists who worked on a game that will most likely never get played.
THats what you feel bad about?

How about the fact that these guys have spent a decade with nothing to put on their resumes!!!?

Who is going to hire them now? Out of pity!!?!

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Lack of a dead line?

Did anyone ever think of saying "Ummm.... Guys, dont you think we should do something?"

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
From the sounds of it, they tried too hard to make DNF "the next big thing," and just couldn't stand to see game after game defeat them in the department of innovative gameplay. It's actually quite a tragedy, when you think about it. What a waste of effort.

Elesar said:
So it took so long because those guys were IDIOTS.
You're not making a giant masterpiece, you're making fucking Duke Nukem.
Did you even read the fucking article? The folks at 3D Realms are hardly idiots (well, maybe their boss was), just really unfortunate. And yes, while Duke Nukem may have the simplest premise in the world, a tremendous amount of work goes into making video games, and from the looks of it, these guys tried really hard to make a perfect game. Even if their efforts were placed towards creating what we call a "generic FPS," I'll show support to any team of developers that actually TRIES to do something.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever. The extreme opposite of KotOR 2. There are times like these that the publisher whip is necessary. I feel absolutely no kind of sympathy for him. He should have known how stupid is to develop a single game for so many years where in that space, he could have created 6.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
redmarine said:
Even Blizzard can't top that lol.

Oh wait...
Their working on that, don't worry...

This sheds some light on the subject at least.