The Escapist's Official Holiday Unboxing Post

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist's Official Holiday Unboxing Post

Share your memories of Holidays Past and Present - what'd you unwrap this year, and what are your favorite memories of seasons gone by?

Okay, maybe the Nintendo 64 Kid isn't the best example of a normal holiday unboxing - to say the least, he's a bit more, erm, enthusiastic than your average kid - but let's not fool ourselves here: Even if we've never reached the screeching furor of the Nintendo 64 Kid, we can all remember one Christmas (or Hanukkah, or Festivus) where we got that gift that we'd always wanted.

For me, it was ... the Nintendo 64, actually. I'd made it very clear to my parents that it was the thing I wanted above all else for the holidays, and would spend hours at my friend's house watching him play Mario 64, but it was rare beyond belief. Nowhere had one, and even though I discreetly kept peeking into the closet where my parents hid the wrapped presents looking for something the size and shape of the Nintendo 64 box, there was nothing.

Cue Christmas morning - still nothing the size and shape of the N64 under the tree. Presents were opened, and my brothers and I got some great gifts, but I was still a bit disappointed that the one thing I'd wanted more than anything wasn't there. Finally, my parents handed me the final box with my name on it, and I tore off the paper to find... WaveRace 64? But we didn't have a --

-- and then they pulled one final box out from where they'd been hiding it beneath the sofa (of all places), and it was just the size I'd been looking for. It was the Nintendo 64 that my brothers and I had been hoping for all winter - as it turned out, the grandfather of a good friend of mine (living in retirement in Hawaii) had stood in line in the early morning to pick up two N64s, one for his grandson and one for his grandson's friend, and had shipped them all the way across the Pacific and the United States to be there Christmas morning.

And that's a memory I don't think I'll be forgetting anytime soon. I may not have been N64 Kid, but I can see where he's coming from.

So, Escapists, get some eggnog, pull up by the fire, and tell us your stories. What are your fondest holiday memories, unwrapping a gift and being shocked? What's your favorite gift from this holiday season? Don't be shy, now!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just got a Wii.

Which will allow to me to finally play the Gamecube re-release of a certain N64 game that rhymes wit "Macarena of Mime". If the Gamecube controller I got with it worked. OKAY! I WAS STUPID! I had it in the controller 4 slot. I never played "Macarena of Mime" before, and it looks like I still have to wait to enjoy am soon to be enjoying the promised greatness.

Stoorm_

Dec 22, 2009
i got 5 pairs of socks
never had so many socks in my life

EDIT: that made it sound like i dont own many socks
*most socks ive been given at the same time each from a different family member*

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
Oddly enough, I also got a few pairs of wool socks. I did ask for them though. Few pairs of wool socks, couple pairs of sweatpants and a hoodie. Seventeen books. I did good this year.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Two years ago, I was behind the technology curve when it came to gaming. I had a Wii, but having already purchased and finished both Zelda and Mario titles the previous year, it couldn't be said that I was keeping pace with other gamers. No PS3, no 360, no nothin'. I don't remember being bothered by this too much, because there weren't many games that I absolutely had to have at that point... Except, of course, Portal. I'd heard so much about it, seen so much footage, and was absolutely in love with it. Of course, I thought I'd never get to play it, because my computer wasn't fit for playing games, and I didn't own any next-gen consoles.

So imagine my surprise that Christmas when the first gift I opened was The Orange Box. I was puzzled by this gift, because I didn't own an Xbox 360. Then, my mother pointed to the large box in the corner.

I played Portal all day. Best Christmas ever.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
My brother gave me Assassin's Creed 2, which I was more than pleased with.
And then he gave me a new mobile phone.

Kinda trumps the T-shirt I got him...
(To be fair, he wasn't expecting much of me this year, it being my 2nd year of university, so naturally I'm broke, but still...)

Gorlasintan

Jan 4, 2009
Episode ten of There Will Be Brawl would make an excellent holiday gift, with appropriate 'unwrapping' story. >.>

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Gorlasintan said:
Episode ten of There Will Be Brawl would make an excellent holiday gift, with appropriate 'unwrapping' story. >.>
How do you unwrap and episode?

Barakiel

Nov 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Gorlasintan said:
How do you unwrap and episode?
I use the slide-and-chop method.
Saves scissors.

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Space Spoons said:
Two years ago, I was behind the technology curve when it came to gaming. I had a Wii, but having already purchased and finished both Zelda and Mario titles the previous year, it couldn't be said that I was keeping pace with other gamers. No PS3, no 360, no nothin'. I don't remember being bothered by this too much, because there weren't many games that I absolutely had to have at that point... Except, of course, Portal. I'd heard so much about it, seen so much footage, and was absolutely in love with it. Of course, I thought I'd never get to play it, because my computer wasn't fit for playing games, and I didn't own any next-gen consoles.

So imagine my surprise that Christmas when the first gift I opened was The Orange Box. I was puzzled by this gift, because I didn't own an Xbox 360. Then, my mother pointed to the large box in the corner.

I played Portal all day. Best Christmas ever.
Got portal the other day as an early present from my gf(along with a gold and silver wolf talisman). finished in the wee small hours of the morning. was so happy

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
An absolutely fabulous black trilby hat.
I love it.

Though I do believe I need to go to the barber sometimes soon, my current hair volume isn't all too fitting for a hat.

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Fragamoo said:
My brother gave me Assassin's Creed 2, which I was more than pleased with.
And then he gave me a new mobile phone.

Kinda trumps the T-shirt I got him...
(To be fair, he wasn't expecting much of me this year, it being my 2nd year of university, so naturally I'm broke, but still...)
know that feeling, have told everyone they will be getting presents for the russian christmas in january, if my loan has arrived by then...

Malevolent Stranger

Jun 28, 2009
Colt Anaconda
Assassin's Creed 2
Switchblade, golden handle, wicked edged
A black 32 gig ipod nano, complete with video camera.