Celebrate Life Day with the Star Wars Holiday Special

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Celebrate Life Day with the Star Wars Holiday Special

What better way to celebrate the holidays than to watch the worst Star Wars-related piece of entertainment ever created, and I don't mean the prequels.

The Star Wars Holiday Special was broadcast in its entirety only once on November 17, 1978. It is generally regarded as one of the worst moments in television history, and was a disappointment to Star Wars fans everywhere. George Lucas has been reported to say that, "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it." The special follows the story of Chewbacca as he tries to make it back to his home planet of Kashyyyk to celebrate Life Day with his Wookiee family, complete with grunty dialogue that is never translated. So many of the segments are inexplicably awful, like Bea Arthur in the Mos Eisley cantina and Art Carney as a comedic shop owner fighting for the Rebellion. But the worst is a possibly drugged-up Carrie Fisher singing the Life Day song set to the tune of John Williams' Star Wars Theme.

In all honesty, the special is so bad that it's almost good. It's definitely worth watching for the novelty value alone and many believe that the 10 minute animated introduction of Boba Fett to the universe was pretty good. Considering that Lucas screwed with his universe so much more by simply making the prequel movies, the special isn't so bad by comparison.

If you don't agree with me, there's a 70-minute review of The Phantom Menace [http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70-minute-video-review-of-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/] being talked about on the interwebs that basically points out everything that I hate about those films. The reviewer has some personality problems of his own which seem rather forced, but everything he says about the Qui-gon Jinn being the most morally corrupt Jedi ever, or how lightsaber duels are more interesting without ridiculously acrobatic fight choreography, is spot on.

I actually put in the non-special edition Star Wars this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The movie is still good. It's still got it. I was happy again like I was when I first saw it, and I was able to fight through all of the negative feelings that the prequels have given me when I consider anything Star Wars. I mean, I used to be a big time Star Wars nerd and was excited for any kind of related merchandise. Websites like this Star Wars weather [http://www.tomscott.com/weather/starwars/] are awesome and should be lauded, instead of being associated with all of the crap that was the prequels.

Which reminds me, the worst piece of Star Wars-related entertainment is the Donny & Marie "revue [http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/12/donny-marie-star-wars-skit-1568221]" and not any of these other things. Hands down.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Do not fear, people, Santa Christ shall make this movie worth while!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Escapist, be glad it is Christmas Day and not Christmas Eve right now, as reminding us of this would negate world peace on the good-naughty scale.

Then again, coal would help out on the heating bill...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The only good thing the Star Wars prequels [small](that do not actually exist, that which does not exist can not be as a plague upon us!)[/small] ever did was to convince a fantasy author to base a character off of me after I said something amusing about how terrible they were.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A part of me died inside when I watched that video. Again. Thanks for reminding me of the awfulness.

But have no fear, for in 45 minutes, we can watch the Doctor Who Christmas Special, and those are always awesome.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
George Lucas has been reported to say that, "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it."
Funny...we're trying to do the same with certain other elements. A sledgehammer is so much more clumsy and random than a blaster.

Results 1 - 10 of about 44,500 for kill jar jar binks
Assassinator said:
But have no fear, for in 45 minutes, we can watch the Doctor Who Christmas Special, and those are always awesome.
Oh god no... not RTD bastardising canon again with his mixture of direct ripoffs and forced choke moments!

I'm just going to go and cry somewhere. Hurry up Moffat, you've a fan that needs some REAL Who not this Who-lite.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Jeez, you trying to drive us to madness or something, Greg?

[http://img268.imageshack.us/i/sobaditsworseblack.png/]​

XKCD warned us about this! Watching the Star Wars Holiday Special's the visual equivalent of looking at the Necronomicon! :p

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm just going to go and cry somewhere. Hurry up Moffat, you've a fan that needs some REAL Who not this Who-lite.
Still, Tennant is going to die, we all know that. I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!! *weeps*

Well, it's starting *gulp* I don't want him to go *sniff*

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
What better way to celebrate the holidays than to watch the worst Star Wars-related piece of entertainment ever created, and I don't mean the prequels.
Call me wierd if you like, but actually LIKED the prequels

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Reminds me of this article I just found yesterday on Cracked:

The Seven Most Baffling Moments in the Star Wars Holiday Special [http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-look-back-at-the-star-wars-holiday-special/]

It's incredibly funny.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I'm going to thank you for reminding me of this.

Seriously, I am.

I mean really.

Honestly.

I was already having a good Christmas buy now you've made it better.

Merry Christmas, The Escapist <3

May The (utter, utter) Farce Be With You!!!

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Wow, that was truly horrible. Finally I can agree with Lucas about something. That special sucked.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked the prequels. At least I remember seeing the prequels.

Don't remember shit about the originals that I saw back-to-back when I was 9. So, they can't have been THAT good.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I liked the prequels. At least I remember seeing the prequels.

Don't remember shit about the originals that I saw back-to-back when I was 9. So, they can't have been THAT good.
Heretic! Unclean!

Seriously, I grew up watching those films, and my family will still watch them every so often (last time through the trilogy was a few months ago actually). I've seen that which does not exist if we all put our fingers in our ears and sing LA LA LA! really loudly a grand total of once, and that was too many times.

Nobody over the age of 20 will ever take you seriously if you admit to liking those abominations, just saying.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Okay, lemme sum this up. The nonexistant Star Wars Holiday Special is the Star Wars movie that made George Lucas feel unclean. Not Jar Jar Binks, not the crap CGI Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network, but the does-not-exist Star Wars Holiday Special.

Besides, if it did exist, there's so many Big Lipped Alligator Moments [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigLippedAlligatorMoment] in there, it qualifies as a Big Lipped Alligator MOVIE.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
The best part about this is that you can tell Carrie Fisher really enjoyed cocain.
I thought the best part is that she didn't kill herself after she came down from the high and realized that she had effectively ruined her career.