E3 2007: Nintendo Takes a Bow

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
E3 2007: Nintendo Takes a Bow

Today, 33 weeks after the launch of Nintendo's Wii console, there is still a shortage. Nintendo has sold over 40 million of the devices and they are still flying off of store shelves as fast as they come in. And it is a hit among key, market growing demographics. Mainly with adults and adult women ( a third of all women polled in households with a Wii report using it "regularly"), the demographic frequently called "the other 90%."

"We see today as a celebration," said Fils-Aime, "for all of us." And by "all of us," he means the entire industry.

Mory Buckman

Jul 12, 2007
I'm a huge fan of Metroid Primes 1 and 2, and I'm not "wetting my pants" over number 3. On the contrary, it would not be an exaggeration to say that I am depressed over what they've just shown. They've taken out the exploring, and replaced it with a much heavier emphasis on generic action. (Because simple action is more marketable than a real Metroid game.) In other words, they've taken out what was great and special about Metroid in the first place and they have so little respect for their fans that they think no one will notice.

Their other fans they've shut up by releasing a barely-changed Mario Kart and a slightly-changed Super Smash Bros., without offering anything new at all. Apart from Super Mario Galaxy (which does indeed look amazing), they've stopped caring about their fans much at all.

And then they're replacing them with people who like to exercise a lot. What a good long-term plan.

Okay, maybe it is a good plan. I'm just bitter.

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
On the Wii front, trailers for Medal of Honor, Soul Caliber, Mario and Sonic Olympics and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were shown
Quick request for clarification here: that's Soul Calibur Legends, right? Not Soul Calibur IV?

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
Wait, 40 million? That must be a typo, right?

I loved Metroid Prime, and it sold me my first-ever console, but I'm actually more likely to buy a Wii for Wii Fit at this point than for what I've seen of Metroid Prime 3. I'll be waiting for the reviews to tell me whether the control scheme I know and love is available as an option -- unlike the people who complained about the lock-on system and minimization of free aiming, I liked those things and want to keep them. This new stuff about locking on, strafing around, and then free aiming actually turns me off.

Wii Fit, however, looks very interesting and useful.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Mory Buckman said:
They've taken out the exploring, and replaced it with a much heavier emphasis on generic action. (Because simple action is more marketable than a real Metroid game.)
Could it be that's just the part that they've decided to show? If you're limited to a few minutes of non-interactive footage, wouldn't it be best to show off the most impressive and marketable part?

You can count me among those who was a bit underwhelmed by the emphasis on casual minigames. I understand the purpose of it and the timing, but I'd have liked to see anything to suggest they're still going to give traditional gamers the time of day, as a developer, rather than just a publisher (in which capacity they continue to impress). I don't mean necessarily blowing their entire budget on a triple-A title for the ages - but as for major titles for the insatiable minority, they didn't give a sign of anything that we didn't know about as far back as Tokyo Game Show. So those of us who were looking forward to seeing what the Wii remote could do with a deep and complex game will get Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 - all of which look nothing short of fantastic, I might add - and then... what? Being left at the mercy of third parties, who, if the past year is any indication, are either following Nintendo's lead or are reluctant to release anything at all?

I'd have liked to see some inkling of what they're planning with Wii Ware, for example. Perhaps some comment on the rumors that previously unreleased games might be distributed on the Virtual Console.

Things are still looking up for Wii owners, even those of us who aren't that interested in Wii Fit. But it's clear that this conference wasn't for us.

rblaa [deprecated]

Sep 19, 2006
Mory Buckman said:
I'm a huge fan of Metroid Primes 1 and 2, and I'm not "wetting my pants" over number 3. On the contrary, it would not be an exaggeration to say that I am depressed over what they've just shown. They've taken out the exploring, and replaced it with a much heavier emphasis on generic action.
I'm a huge fan of Metroid Primes 1 and 2 and I am completely "wetting my pants" over number 3. To me it seems exactly what I am looking for: more levels of Metroid Prime, better than ever.

What indicates to you that exploration is in any way lessened?

I have held off getting a Wii until now, and am only getting one because MP3 can only be played on it. Of course, once I get it, then I simply must check out Super Mario Galaxy.

rblaa [deprecated]

Sep 19, 2006
Ajar said:
unlike the people who complained about the lock-on system and minimization of free aiming [in Metroid Prime], I liked those things and want to keep them. This new stuff about locking on, strafing around, and then free aiming actually turns me off.
From what I recall from recent interviews and videos, this is actually an option, i.e. you can have the traditional locking if you choose.