Internet Sleuths Guess at Kratos' Brother in God Of War 3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Internet Sleuths Guess at Kratos' Brother in God Of War 3

An enterprising internet denizen has guessed that Kratos' brother will appear in God Of War 3, possibly as a villain.

In the first God of War, there was a video which was played after finishing the game on any difficulty, explaining the origins of Kratos as a child of Sparta and that his brother was abandoned in the mountains for being too weak to be trained as a fighter. The brother came of age in Hades and is out for revenge against Kratos for leaving him to die. The God of War Collection released in November for PS3 offers a silver trophy (Playstation 3 Center [http://www.psu.com/ps3-trophies/god_of_war_collection/legend_of_the_twins/] has surmised that this must mean that Kratos' possibly demonic brother will appear in the next God of War game.

While it's not completely far fetched that this might indeed point to the content in God of War 3, which is due out in March, it seems a little bit of a stretch that this is a deliberate hint from the developers. On the other hand, games have had much more elaborate marketing campaigns of late (Dante's *cough* Inferno [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96316-Send-Megan-Fox-to-Hell-With-Dantes-Inferno-Facebook-App].)

Perhaps publishers seeding of viral content like this is the next step in the battle to get big dumb journalists to write about their next game.

Hey, wait a minute...

Source: PS3 Center [http://www.ps3center.net//news/4213/next-god-of-war-to-feature-kratos-brother/]

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i have a hard time imagining an evil kratos, what would he do to become eviler than kratos? kratos already have a goatee, maybe he is the evil twin DANDANDAAAAAM!

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Well, If Kratos' brother appears in the game, it's no doubt that Kratos will kill him. I mean, for Gods sake, imagine this:

Kratos: Oh, hey bro!
Kratos' Brother: I WANT REVENGE!
Kratos: OW! I'm dead now, you have your revenge.

I hate all games/stories where theres no way in hell the main character can lose.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Having giving no other hint except for that video i will find it hard to believe that a brother of Kratos will appear. But if it does i'll be slightly surpirsed

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
swaki said:
i have a hard time imagining an evil kratos, what would he do to become eviler than kratos? kratos already have a goatee, maybe he is the evil twin DANDANDAAAAAM!
Long haired mystic and demonic version of Kratos

As colour codes go, Kratos is Red and his brother would be Pitch Black (tricks, dirty-fighting, lying, treachery, poison, etc. instead of mutilation, gut-ripping, etc.)

At least it's my guess

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:

As colour codes go, Kratos is Red and his brother would be Pitch Black (tricks, dirty-fighting, lying, treachery, poison, etc. instead of mutilation, gut-ripping, etc.)

At least it's my guess
you make some very thoughtless and invalid points, the goatee = evil twin, heck everyone with a goatee is evil, back in 00 a candidate for prime minister of Denmark went from underdog to the democrats candidate simply by shaving his goatee (there may have been some other stuff leading to this, i don't really follow politics).

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
swaki said:
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:

At least it's my guess
you make some very thoughtless and invalid points, the goatee = evil twin, heck everyone with a goatee is evil, back in 00 a candidate for prime minister of Denmark went from underdog to the democrats candidate simply by shaving his goatee (there may have been some other stuff leading to this, i don't really follow politics).
I am looking at what you wrote and not being able to interpret how the hell does that apply to what I wrote...

Are you using a Google Translator or something?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Austin said:
Well, If Kratos' brother appears in the game, it's no doubt that Kratos will kill him. I mean, for Gods sake, imagine this:

I hate all games/stories where theres no way in hell the main character can lose.
Ever played Mafia?

Or heard anything about the up-coming Mass Effect 2?

Or Heavy Rain?

Or Fallout 3 (pre-DLC)?

Or that bit in CoD 4?

Or the King Kong game?

Sure it's unlikely the main character will come out worse off - but it's not like it hasn't happened before.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Haha! They tricked you Greg o.o

I have never played 'em GOW (not starting with 'Gear') games, but I might look into this one.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:

At least it's my guess
I am looking at what you wrote and not being able to interpret how the hell does that apply to what I wrote...

basically i was feeling embarrassed that i went straight to the soap opera solution i.e. that kratos was the evil twin all along because of his goatee, where as you went the more logical way, so i tried, while being very tired, to ironically dismiss your argument/explanation.

and no, i am not using google translator, i once tried that on a German essay and i failed the class.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
swaki said:
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:
Arawn.Chernobog said:
swaki said:

At least it's my guess

basically i was feeling embarrassed that i went straight to the soap opera solution i.e. that kratos was the evil twin all along because of his goatee, where as you went the more logical way, so i tried, while being very tired, to ironically dismiss your argument/explanation.

and no, i am not using google translator, i once tried that on a German essay and i failed the class.
Oh ok, got it xD

Yeah, don't use translators... ever :x

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:

Ever played Mafia?

Or Heavy Rain?

Or Fallout 3 (pre-DLC)?

Or that bit in CoD 4?

Or the King Kong game?

Sure it's unlikely the main character will come out worse off - but it's not like it hasn't happened before.
Um.... Thanks?

What was the point of that?

You just gave me the list of games where the main characters die, and you spoiled the King Kong ending for me. All I said was that I hate games/stories/movies where there is no way the main character would die.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Austin said:
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:

Ever played Mafia?

Or Heavy Rain?

Or Fallout 3 (pre-DLC)?

Or that bit in CoD 4?

Or the King Kong game?

Um.... Thanks?

You just gave me the list of games where the main characters die, and you spoiled the King Kong ending for me. All I said was that I hate games/stories/movies where there is no way the main character would die.
Sorry, you just made it sound like it never happens since you've made the assumption that it won't - I was simply pointing out that it does on occassion.

And I don't believe that you didn't know King Kong dies at the end of King Kong.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:

Ever played Mafia?

Or Heavy Rain?

Or Fallout 3 (pre-DLC)?

Or that bit in CoD 4?

Or the King Kong game?

Um.... Thanks?

Sorry, you just made it sound like it never happens since you've made the assumption that it won't - I was simply pointing out that it does on occassion.

And I don't believe that you didn't know King Kong dies at the end of King Kong.
Oh, I thought you meant Jack Black dies.

What I mean is that when Kratos' brother comes looking for revenge-if he does-than it will be pretty obvious that Kratos would come out on top. He is the God of War after all.

I'm just saying that I think, unless his brother is Jesus or something, Its not going to be much of a contest.

Doge Dominico

Dec 29, 2009
...I had a weird thought, What if he's not as bad as people think he is, What if he's like, the God of Peace or some other hippy god

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
swaki said:
Maybe he might have hair? That could be evil? lol

But seriously, Kratos goes around killing gods, with little respect to anything other than that...he is pretty evil on his own, lol

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
well it's a possible story line. Just like it was a possible story line for GoW2. I don't see the correlation to getting an achievement from watching that video, and it being more likely to happen in GoW3.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I remember an audio track of T.C. Carson as Kratos Kratos talking about hoping to find "him". It would be nice if Sony revisited that.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Yeah, yeah, that's all well and good, but what about "Whatever Happened to Cronos the Titan?" That's the sequel I'd love to see made- A modern god of war, with modern weapons and ancient magic, the ideas touched in that bonus video seemed a lot more awesome. Fingers are crossed for GoW4, as they say Kratos' journey ends with this one...

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
The Austin said:
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:
Woodsey said:
The Austin said:

Ever played Mafia?

Or Heavy Rain?

Or Fallout 3 (pre-DLC)?

Or that bit in CoD 4?

Or the King Kong game?

Um.... Thanks?

Oh, I thought you meant Jack Black dies.

What I mean is that when Kratos' brother comes looking for revenge-if he does-than it will be pretty obvious that Kratos would come out on top. He is the God of War after all.

I'm just saying that I think, unless his brother is Jesus or something, Its not going to be much of a contest.
Read up on Greek/Roman mythology. Just cause you were a god didn't mean you were exempt from death and all that. And the god of war can be beaten. And was if iirc..