50 Years of Space Exploration on One Map

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

It's hard to believe that it's only been a half-century since humans began exploring space in earnest, a half-century represented on this map created by National Geographic.

In case the ridiculously-rapid pace of technological development in the second half of the 20th century doesn't astound you already, consider this: Just 50 years ago, NASA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasa] was barely a year old, and humanity was just trying to figure out how to leave the cradle of Earth with the Mercury rocket program. The first man-made satellite had been put into orbit scant years before with the launch of Sputnik in 1957 - and little over a decade later, there was a man standing on the surface of the Moon.

Now, people live in space for months at a time. Our space tools make the vehicles used in the Mercury and Gemini - and even Apollo - programs look positively ancient. If that doesn't boggle your mind, then it should.

National Geographic has put together a map [http://books.nationalgeographic.com/map/map-day/] chronicling the past fifty years of human space exploration, and the missions that we've sent to the Moon, Mars, and Venus as well as out into the cold depths of space to investigate Jupiter, Saturn, and beyond.

It's kind of a sobering look, because as much as we've learned, there's still so much we don't know. But that doesn't make it any less fascinating - just look at the photo taken of the center of the Milky Way Galaxy [http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/11/10/hub-of-beauty/] last month to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Galileo's invention of the telescope. You may be able to make out the supermassive black hole in the center of the Galaxy, because it is four million times the size of our own Sun. Holy crap.

If anyone makes a joke about "50 Years, 1 Map" I'm going to ban them.

(Via Gajitz [http://gajitz.com/the-last-50-years-of-space-exploration-on-one-map/])

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I...nah, not worth it.

"Eight failed NASA missions, two successful NASA missions."
"Two failed USSR missions, two successful USSR missions."

Ouch, that's an unpleasant ratio right there.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Just makes you think...
One day, Terrans will rule this system, and then spread across the heavens in a crusade, conquering all that stands before us.

Yes, I love this planet, and Terrans, and wish for us to make our mark. and if we go down, to go down in a blaze of glory. We shall be remembered.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
maybe its due to my complete lack of humor, but that doesn't seem like an obvious topic for jokes, how are you even supposed to do that.

"Soo, have you heard about space? yes apperently man has been exploring space for 50 years now! [applause] i know 50 years, and apparently National Geographic have taken all that information, have you heard about this?, and they putted it down on one map![laugher] HeeHee, thank you!"

if i have understood American talk show humor correct you should all be laughing now.

Typhusoid

Nov 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

I......no.....must resist........

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't said anything.

Where could I get one of these maps?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
My history professor has a map of the time-line of mankind, and it only covers a small section of his wall. We haven't done much in the time we've been here.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's hard to believe that it's only been a half-century since humans began exploring space in earnest, a half-century represented on this map created by National Geographic.
And we're still only in the faffing around area of advancement. :(

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Wow jeez only one map in 50... no, no please, dont. NOOOOOO!!!!. *Banhamer to the face*

I would love to have a copy of one of these maps, screw world domination, the galixy will be mine.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
And now this whole thread is people trying to make 50 years 1 Map jokes. Thanks.

Great article though, amazing to see how far we've come.

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
Very cool stuff.

And that center-of-the-galaxy picture is absolutely wallpapered.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
is it weird that more people have commented about being banned if they make a joke than the actual topic?