Dark Void Morphs Into 8-Bit Side-scroller

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dark Void Morphs Into 8-Bit Side-scroller

Classic remakes must be doing well for Capcom, as the company is giving Dark Void the retro treatment.

Mega Man 10 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96926-Mega-Man-10-Trailer-Gives-Robot-Masters-Swine-Man-Flu] isn't the only 8-bit game Capcom has in the pipeline, Dark Void Zero has recently been announced for DSiWare, the PC, and mobile platforms. Dark Void Zero is an NES-style side-scroller based on the upcoming PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC title Dark Void, though Capcom would have you believe the opposite.

Along with the announcement of Dark Void Zero, Capcom released a story about how the game came into existence. According to the story, Capcom was working on a game called Dark Rift in the late '80s for the NES and the PlayChoice-10 arcade cabinet, which used two screens just like the DS/DSi by the way. Along came the SNES, and Dark Rift was shelved and became a legendary lost project, until now. Capcom says in the story that Dark Void Zero is a revival of this lost project, rather than a retro remake. The full story can be found here [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2009/12/21/introducing_dark_void_zero?num=5&pg=4].

I'm sure everyone will call me a gullible moron that should be taken out into the street and mauled by a gang of rabid gophers for even thinking that this back-story for Dark Void Zero could be true, but there is at least a slight possibility. Either way, Dark Void Zero looks seriously awesome, and it shows that somebody in Capcom is in touch with the videogame community at large that tends to stuff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96181-Go-8-Bit-Zombie-Hunting-With-the-Left-4-Dead-Demake] in an 8-bit style already. It could be a really fun extension to the Dark Void universe, which sounds pretty cool on its own anyway.

Dark Void Zero follows Rusty, the first human born in the Void, the alternate dimension that Dark Void takes place in which is ruled by aliens trying to get through to our world. Nikola Tesla will be lending a helping hand to Rusty, just as he will to the main character in Dark Void. With only three levels and a cost of 500 Nintendo Points ($5), I would hope that they're pretty big levels. Dark Void Zero will hit DSiWare in January, followed by a PC and mobile release in February.

This faux NES-style Dark Void Zero box cover is also worth sharing:

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Awesome, like the original NDS lol. Looks like fun, and the music kicks sweet 8 bit ass.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Looks nice, but just for DSiWare and 'Mobile Platforms'? Darn it, this looked nice. I hope it pops up on the App Store.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Am I the only one getting annoyed with Capcom still going along with this NES style thing? Okay, it was pretty cute when you did it with Mega Man 9, but now it's just getting annoying. But I digress, I guess it's more fodder for people who want to relive the past.

Bleh, modern up....

[sup]though I'd be lieing if I said it didn't look pretty cool...[/sup]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dark Void could quite possibly be the dullest looking game I've seen all year.

The guy's working on it don't even seem to give a shit because they know it looks crap.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with Capcom still going along with this NES style thing? Okay, it was pretty cute when you did it with Mega Man 9, but now it's just getting annoying. But I digress, I guess it's more fodder for people who want to relive the past.

Bleh, modern up....

(after editing out a rather pointless mini-tirade of mine that basically the gist was "well Megaman X7 was a bad way to try and reinvent the series so maybe nostalgia is the better way to go")

Personally I like it because Capcom shows an ability to laugh at themselves for having some of the most atrocious localized boxart back in the NES days. Also just the concept of a game they could never make being given a chance to see the light of day is awesome, whether true or not.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Huh. Maybe Capcom also took a cue from Dragon Age: Journeys? Would be cool if you could unlock items in this game to be used - boomvoice - IN THE FUTURE!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:

Bleh, modern up....

(after editing out a rather pointless mini-tirade of mine that basically the gist was "well Megaman X7 was a bad way to try and reinvent the series so maybe nostalgia is the better way to go")

Personally I like it because Capcom shows an ability to laugh at themselves for having some of the most atrocious localized boxart back in the NES days. Also just the concept of a game they could never make being given a chance to see the light of day is awesome, whether true or not.
It's not that I have anything against nostalgia or anything (though nostalgia is the only thing keeping Sonic alive, so you can hate it for that), it's just kind of losing it's humor to me. It was funny the first time with Mega Man 9, but now it just seems that they're doing the exact same thing with what they did for the past Mega Mans only covering it up with NES graphics. If there's a Mega Man 18 with the same NES style as the past 9 Mega Mans, something's fishy.

That and for some reason NES visuals make me agitated slightly. Dunno why, it's kind of like after being surrounded in pink for a long time, you just start hating the pink...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
B-lockdown080 said:
Im glad their still catering to the retro gamer in us
As long as they dont try and destroy the soul of the original...somethings are better as memories

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I approve of these de-make games. The story also parallels that of the real game, Earthbound Zero (Mother), on the NES.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Jumplion said:
Bleh, modern up....
A whopping 3 games in a 15 year continuum of trying to reinvent the franchise and turn it into something different while failing. I'd be worried if these games were all that Capcom was doing but it really isn't the case here. You should be checking how Mega Man was doing before Mega Man 9 when they did make an effort to "modern up" (Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X7 are good places to start as any... but then again you did make the mistake of thinking those are NES games. They aren't.)

The fact is that MM9 isn't just an NES game audiovisually. Rather, it's a complete package. For this reason you most likely wouldn't even be in the intended audience if it did have good graphics, audio and all that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Jumplion said:
Bleh, modern up....
A whopping 3 games in a 15 year continuum of trying to reinvent the franchise and turn it into something different while failing. I'd be worried if these games were all that Capcom was doing but it really isn't the case here. You should be checking how Mega Man was doing before Mega Man 9 when they did make an effort to "modern up" (Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X7 are good places to start as any... but then again you did make the mistake of thinking those are NES games. They aren't.)

The fact is that MM9 isn't just an NES game audiovisually. Rather, it's a complete package. For this reason you most likely wouldn't even be in the intended audience if it did have good graphics, audio and all that.
I do worry though that Capcom would continue to exploit nostalgia by going "Hey look! NES stuff! You remember that stuff, right? You nostalgic wallets gamers you!" Nostalgia is the only thing keeping Sonic alive after all.