Yes, There Will Be a Next-Gen Guilty Gear

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Do you think that the current generation of gaming has too few cross-dressing nuns and rock-and-roll witches? If so, you'll be glad to hear that there's apparently a brand-new Guilty Gear in the works.

If you don't think Guilty Gear X2 was the best fighting game of the last generation, then you're obviously not me, because I sure as hell did. It was fast, it was furious, it had the best bizarre character designs I'd seen in a fighting game in ages, and it became the college multiplayer game of choice in my circle of friends - who needs Halo?

Alas, when this generation rolled around, we learned that developer Arc System Works had apparently lost the right to their IP to publisher SEGA Sammy, and after making one final - and really mediocre - action game (Guilty Gear 2: Overture), ASW passed the torch to a new spiritual sequel, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. Which turned out to be totally awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6240-Review-BlazBlue-Calamity-Trigger], so that's all good.

However, it looks like the torch may not have been completely passed after all. On a visit to the NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2122/next-gen-guilty-gear-in-the-works] offices, ASW Business Development Director Tomo Ohno was asked if the company had any plans to do a "Versus" crossover between GG and BB in the vein of Marvel vs. Capcom or SNK vs. Capcom.

His response? "Personally I don't like that idea," said Ohno. "What we can say about Guilty Gear is that it is not dead yet. It has not ended. The producer/creator of Guilty Gear, Daisuke Ishiwatari, his comment for this meeting [was] 'I have the full intention to create Guilty Gear for PS3 and 360.'" As far as we can tell, he means an actual 2D fighter, and not something weird and unfortunately mediocre like Overture.

That doesn't rule out an eventual crossover, though. "It's a different world - it's not BlazBlue taking over Guilty Gear, but Guilty Gear is an important thing for us and we want to make sure fans of Guilty Gear continue to have fun in that world ... BlazBlue is a new thing, and there might be some crossover but at the moment we don't have any plans."

Anyone who has played Guilty Gear or BlazBlue's story mode knows that Ishiwatari is just beyond Hideo Kojima on the Insanity Meter, so whatever he does come up with will likely be describable as "really freakin' weird." However, I think this is a good thing - don't get me wrong, I love my BlazBlue a hell of a lot, but the world needs more Guilty Gear. The world needs more games where you can get your friends to admit "Hey, that nun chick's kind of cute" before freaking them out with the revelation that "she" is really a guy.

Maybe that's just me.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I got confused and thought there was a Guilty Gear coming out for the next generation of consoles, and no that wasn't a sarcastic remark.

Either way, I loves me some Guilty Gear. They better not nerf Millia and Order Sol any more than they already have.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Aw hell yeah! Can't wait 'till this is released, and I hope that my campus arcade is able to "import" it. It's one of our more popular games next to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 of course.

Oh, and my fave characters? While Ky is my bread and butter, I'm currently training with not-really-Axel Rose-Axl Low. Great for distance and counters, just a bit tricky to handle.

Oh, and they don't call it "dropping a Bridget" for nothing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
wildcard9 said:
Aw hell yeah! Can't wait 'till this is released, and I hope that my campus arcade is able to "import" it. It's one of our more popular games next to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 of course.

Oh, and my fave characters? While Ky is my bread and butter, I'm currently training with not-really-Axel Rose-Axl Low. Great for distance and counters, just a bit tricky to handle.

Oh, and they don't call it "dropping a Bridget" for nothing.
Psh. Slayer, Millia, and Johnny > *

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Oh, that would be interesting, if it comes out here in the UK. (Still waiting for BB.)

A versus would be one of the weirdest things ever, I mean...-Facepalm- There ideas are so crazy.

Also, excited for the BlazBlue sequel in any way?

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
I'm still waiting for Accent Core Plus to be released for the euro market.
Altough, I propably shouldn't hold my breath.

Edit: Oh, cool. I just did some Googling and it seems that they are actually releasing it here sometime Q1-Q2 next year.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
I'm wondering if they will break Eddie again and give him quadruple unblockables by accident, or just leave him like they did in accent core so i dont need to relearn stuff again.
On a minor note, i really hope bridget gets buffed and becomes either high or mid teir because he sucks way to much in AC (he was just right in #R and Slash). Robo-ky getting better with the only reason being that he is awesome. Also, if they could get the annoncer from #R and slash, that would be fucking awesome.
Main Eddie (unblockables ftw)
Subs Robo-ky, Zappa, Venom.
SilentHunter7 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
...but...the next-gen consoles haven't even been announced yet...

:p
The last guilty gear was on the ps2, so gg on either 360 or ps3 is why we are hyped.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
I wonder if they'll try and do a 2.5D thing like in SF4.

Chipp is my all time favourite character from a fighting game.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I could make so many Bridget jokes, and post many a surprisingly safe for work picture, but I won't. I will just by unoriginal and say "Eevryone is gay for Bridget!"

Anyway, yes, new Guilty Gear would be a great thing. So would a Guilty Gear/BlazeBlue crossover. So much awesome.

Edit: Also, the fact that Bridget is male has little impact on his cuteness. The Japanese know how to make a completely androgynous but still really cute character (see, Jun). It's only creepy if you go to 4chan, and they have a Bridget thread going. Then it gets weird.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The DSM said:
This looks like its going to be awesome.

Bridget.... oh god Bridget....
It's a trap!

Sounds good, wouldn't mind getting my Guilty Gear on.

b1u3too said:
I'm excited.
But I still hope it isn't a trap. ='(