The 2009 List of Awesome

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The 2009 List of Awesome

Shamus looks back on 2009 and finds that it wasn't all bad news.

Read Full Article

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Hate to burst your bubble, but apparently DNF isn't dead. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97147-Duke-Nukem-Due-for-Resurgence-in-Coming-Years] According to Scott Miller, 3D Realms "never said that Duke Nukem Forever has ceased development."

Great article though, as always. Due to my cheapskate nature in buying gaming titles I always find myself a year or two behind the curve, but I'm sure that in a year or two when I'm finally playing the titles of 2009 I'll agree with your list of games there.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Kind of a pity those were the only good things that happened last year, thanks to Gordon Brown mainly...

But yeah thats the good things of last year pegged pretty solidly, now I can get a PS3 without having to take out various loans ;)

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
VHS tapes are forever... now beta (we won't need those until the days of cowboy bebop)...

I would not say this was the best year. People who don't give a damn about multiplayer (like me) find the experience of Call of Duty: MW2 significantly less satisfying than a 'game of the year' experience should be. There were some solid titles that came out this year. Dragon age has made me cry on more than one occasion. It's been a while since I swore so much at my TV (reminds me of old nintendo days). Fallout 3 DLC took an awesome game and made it better. On the whole, I would say that this year was NOT as good as 2008 for releases. Maybe if some of the developers would have gotten off their asses and released stuff for christmas, it would have been better. Most of us agree that with FFXII, Starcraft 2, WoW: Cataclysm, Mass Effect 2 and a host of other great titles that 2010 will be a GREAT year for gamers.

Oh, and will E3 ever return to the top? I kinda hope that it fails. Gamers should boycott that crap and go to 'alternative' gaming conventions instead.

I agree that the PS3 had a great year. I'm almost tempted to buy one, if only for Valkyria Chronicles (I know, that came out last year, but the price was still not right for me). Some of the other exclusives look nice. Generally I try to buy things for my Xbox 360 if I can, with a few exceptions for my PC. I just may make the plunge this year and get another system. Nope, I still have no real reason to ever invest in a wii (or even accept one if I were to be given it for free).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm still hoping that motion control ends up where it belongs.. as a little brother to proper control schemes. If the success of the Wii has shown me anything, it's that motion control can be a great enhancement to a limited array of titles but it has little to no place in most games (particularly in ones I actually want to play).

Anywho, a great year it was. :)

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
gim73 said:
Oh, and will E3 ever return to the top? I kinda hope that it fails. Gamers should boycott that crap and go to 'alternative' gaming conventions instead.
E3 isn't a games convention. It's a games trade show. There's a major difference.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
I really am fed up of DNF. I find it amazing that DNF is also an acronym for "Did not finish".
Maybe they've been planning it all along.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
Miki91 said:
Jory said:
I really am fed up of DNF. I find it amazing that DNF is also an acronym for "Did not finish".
Maybe they've been planning it all along.
Hmm, got me thinking...
You gotta admit. It would be an incredible inside joke.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
I'm still hoping that motion control ends up where it belongs.. as a little brother to proper control schemes. If the success of the Wii has shown me anything, it's that motion control can be a great enhancement to a limited array of titles but it has little to no place in most games (particularly in ones I actually want to play).

Anywho, a great year it was. :)
...and thanks to Fallout we won't be using any tranquility chamber style simulators now will we.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
what about brutal legend, i remember you complaining allot (and rightly so) about activisions decision to cancel it because it wasn't sequel friendly, which i disagree on, it ended with a small cliffhanger, but i guess they won in the end [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97178-Brutal-Legend-Suffered-from-Lawsuits].

this was an awesome gaming year for me, i stopped playing wow and went from having braid on my steam account to have braid and 85 other games, i got an slim and elite, sold my Wii and corrupted my brother into gaming.

heres to another year filled with Shamus, cheers.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ahh, Shamus. You and your self-effacing shenanigans. Why wouldn't the Escapist want to keep a comic that has brought us both Travis Taylor AND the Reaper?

I also cheer for the decline of DRM. May it go the way of the dodo, the wax cylinder record, and having to wear clothing in public.

[small]*whisper whisper*[/small]

...what? Dammit. Fine. Nix that last one... for now.

Happy new year!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
JC175 said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but apparently DNF isn't dead. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97147-Duke-Nukem-Due-for-Resurgence-in-Coming-Years] According to Scott Miller, 3D Realms "never said that Duke Nukem Forever has ceased development."
Of course not. You can't cease a process that is not ongoing! *rimshot*

...2009 was a bad year. It was a bad year all around, with the recession and all those famous people dying, from Michael Jackson to that guy that did the green revolution. (Look out for my new garage band, The Green Revolution.) And I think there wasn't a single game released on it that will live on to be a classic. I haven't played MW2, but I think it'll be a footnote in history, and I haven't played AC2, but once AC3 comes out and a few years go buy it'll be the weird middle sibling.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
What basis does #1 have in reality? How many commercial developers dropped DRM in 2009? I can't think of a single one.

Considerably more games now require online activation even for single player, which makes your use of the product dependent on the publisher's good will as well as online connectivity forever. The year has also seen major titles and announced titles (Modern Warfare, Starcraft, ...) drop support for LAN multiplayer without internet connectivity. Single player content that would previously have been released as boxed expansions is now coming out as online-only DLC encumbered with a lot more restrictive DRM than the boxed copies have (cannot be resold, etc.). I'd say the DRM situation has steadily gotten worse.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Shamus Young said:
4. The Escapist had a great year

Actually, The Escapist had a really great year. There are over 50% more of us reading the site now than there were a year ago. Add to that the fact that in 2009 we got more cool stuff to watch like Unskippable, ENN, and MovieBob. And yet despite the staff's unwavering dedication to quality, they didn't cancel my webcomic.

So, it's been a good year for all of us.
*Waves*I'm part of that 50%! And all because I read someone's blog that mentioned Zero Punctuation.(Sorry Shamus, your webcomic that didn't get canceled wasn't my pull, but it is part of what keeps me around.)
So until Duke Nukem Forever goes gold, the Cubs win the world series, and Bobby Kotick sells an IP for a nickel, make mine The Escapist!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: The 2009 List of Awesome

Shamus looks back on 2009 and finds that it wasn't all bad news.

Read Full Article
An interesting round up of what was good in 2009. Its nice to read with all of the doom and gloom thats been around. It was a good year for XBLA too with lots of big games on there.

I spent a fortune with MvC 2, Shadow Complex, Trials HD all eating up my time. I am currently mulling over whether to buy Alien Breed. Will it kill my fond Amiga memories?

You never mentioned it but which was your game of 2009? What ate up the most of your time?

I spent the most time this year on Endwar (which was released in 08) although MW2 and Dragon age have made sure I've not slept since November.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Gaming wise I thought it was a pretty pathetic year. I'm playing Knights of the old Republic (made in 2003) and I'm enjoying it more than Dragon Age and any other AAA title i've played this year.

And there was a gaming drought in the summer holidays.