Halo 2 At Illinois Library Sparks Some Protest

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Halo 2 At Illinois Library Sparks Some Protest

A library in Mount Prospect, Illinois launched a Halo 2 event to attract more children, but controversy has followed in the wake of the decision.

The game bears an "M for Mature" rating, delivered by the industry's own ESRB. In light of the rating, the library has asked participating youth to bring permission slips signed by their parents.

That move has not appeased David Walsh of the National Institute on Media and the Family, which is based in Minnesota. "I think it borders on irresponsibility to sponsor an activity for kids as young as 12 that the industry itself has said is for adults," he said.

Library Director Marilyn Genther said in response, "It's the parents' obligation to know what their kids are doing."

The library moved forward with the idea when its teen advisory board suggested a tournament based on the popular title.

A similar tournament attended by about 45 boys, mostly high schoolers, was held in January without incident.

"I've talked to a number of parents who thanked me for having the tournament. They said their son now wants to come to the library," said Rose Allen, Teen Director of the library.

Source: Daily Herald [http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=334068], Arlington Heights, Illinois.