Blade Runner Estate Threatens Google Over Nexus One Phone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blade Runner Estate Threatens Google Over Nexus One Phone

The family of late author Philip K. Dick is threatening to have its lawyers gouge Google's eyes out over claims that the new Nexus One smartphone violates trademarks established in the 1968 novel Blade Runner [http://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-Headwords/dp/0194792226/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280953801&sr=1-1].

The name may not ring a bell with most mobile phone customers but Isa Dick Hackett, one of the author's daughters and head of Electric Shepherd Productions [http://www.electricshepherdproductions.com/], is nonetheless unhappy with it. "We feel this is a clear infringement of our intellectual property rights," she said earlier this week. "Our legal team is dealing head-on with this."

The problem, according to Ms. Dick, is that the Android [http://www.google.com/phone/?locale=en_US&s7e=] operating system, which she says serves to reinforce the connection.

"[Google uses the] Android system, and now they are naming a phone Nexus One," she added. "It's not lost on the people who are somewhat familiar with this novel."

The case may be difficult to win, however. Marc Reiner of legal firm Dorsey & Whitney LLP said that characters like Mickey Mouse are much more likely to be protected as a trademark because they've previously been used in conjunction with other products. The estate will also have to prove that people are likely to think the novel and phone are somehow connected, he added, asking, "Will people buying the Google phone hear the Nexus One name and think that is just like in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

When contacted for comment, a Google representative who wished to remain anonymous said, "Let me tell you about my mother."

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703436504574640623301172810.html]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems like some people just getting pissy for no particular reason,,,

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I hate the idea that familys can snarl and sue over a relative's property

If I become a famous writer (an ambition of mine), and I die, I don't want my snotty grandchildren squeezing money out of people in a cruel and pissy way like this

they did NOTHING to contribute to his work, what rights do they have over it?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
I hate the idea that familys can snarl and sue over a relative's property

If I become a famous writer (an ambition of mine), and I die, I don't want my snotty grandchildren squeezing money out of people in a cruel and pissy way like this

they did NOTHING to contribute to his work, what rights do they have over it?
That about the Sherlock Holmes sequel incident?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Perhaps they should join forces with Tim Langdell.

That said, I've never seen a manufacturer pass on savings to the consumer, and that there's no reason for this phone to be so ridiculously expensive (going by the iPhone's years-old build cost, the Nexus *can't* cost more than $200 to produce), I can't feel any sympathy for Google/HTC/T-Mobile here.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
On one hand, she is really reaching here and it's an obvious cash-grab. It's not like Philip K. Dick invented the idea of androids or the word Nexus.

On the other hand, Google has like 95% of all the world's money by now so fuck 'em.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
That's really too bad they feel they need to go forward with this. Blade Runner is one of my all time faves, and even I didn't make this connection. And now that it was somewhat 'strung-together', it just rings as coincidence to me and not alarming at all.

So is she stating that her family has the rights to the word Nexus? She may as well sue half the sci-fi universe then.

Just seems a bit childish and petty and saddens me that they would use this tactic for some unseeming monetary gain in the name of their dead father. If he were alive, perhaps he'd even be flattered if there even was an intended connection.

Poppycock I say.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Why can people sue other people over such trivial things as names...

That's what I hate about copyrighted products. Because in truth, the product isn't actually copyrighted, it's only the name of it that's copyrighted...

Ugh...

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm counter suing Blade Runner for a serious lack of blades running.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
"Let me tell you about my mother"? That sentence is lost to me. I don't know what he's implying with it....

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
"Wake up Google... Time to die" - Ms. Dick
I think this case will be lost in time, like tears in rain... -Me, kickstarting the trend

megapenguinx said:
"Let me tell you about my mother"? That sentence is lost to me. I don't know what he's implying with it....
Go see the film, it's in the first scene.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
What a huge stretch.
Personally, I don't think she has anything even close to a case.
I wonder if she'll sue Blizzard for their use of the 'Nexus' (Protoss) in Starcraft?

Get over yourself, lady. It's a phone, not a tribute.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I never made that connection at all, and I love the novel. Absolutely ridiculous.

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Oh gawd, what is the world coming to. You can't be inspired by anything now?

Can't wait for the Tolkien 'estate' to sue every MMO ever made.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Perhaps they should join forces with Tim Langdell.

That said, I've never seen a manufacturer pass on savings to the consumer, and that there's no reason for this phone to be so ridiculously expensive (going by the iPhone's years-old build cost, the Nexus *can't* cost more than $200 to produce), I can't feel any sympathy for Google/HTC/T-Mobile here.
But every phone they have that is equivalent to an iPhone is cheaper by far, and comes with all the Apps free. Much better deal.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Yeah i immediately thought of that when i saw the phone. Oh wait, i'm lying a little bit.

I really hope this case gets thrown out and the proposer gets a dunce hat and a designated corner