EA Ready to "Attack" Modern Warfare

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Ready to "Attack" Modern Warfare

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [http://www.ea.com] to make it a success.

There's no question that when it comes to modern combat shooters, Activision's recently announced [http://www.modernwarfare2.com/agegate.php] Medal of Honor overhaul.

"In March we will launch Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is our first strong attack on Call of Duty," EA Europe Senior Vice President Jens Uwe Intat said in an interview with MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37072/EA-DICE-can-topple-Call-of-Duty].

"The shooter space is one we don't want to give up. It's an important genre and we were the number one," he continued. "So we are certainly working on how we can get that crown back and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is an important product in that context. The franchise is strong, with a good product record."

When I first saw the headline I assumed that the revamped Panama Canal gameplay [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970632&sr=1-1] trailer, I can't help but think that maybe Intat is onto something. "If any of our studios can take on Modern Warfare then it's DICE," he added.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is scheduled for release on March 2 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Let me point out that ever since I saw gameplay videos for Bad Company 2, I immediately saw it as vastly superior to MWII.

Although, it's all down to words and specs right now, the final word isn't till BC2 is playable and in the hands of the people.

If there's anyone capable of tackling the money shitting behemoth that Call of Duty became, I'd say that's undoubtedly the Bad Company franchise.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I think this is great. Too giants going at each other to compete who's got the better game means better game expereinces for players, more or better future DLC and much more care and time being put in the creation and polishing of games.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Hmmm, i like Medal Of Honor, but i also like Call of Duty. But which one is better?

There's only one way to find out..............[HEADING=1]FIGHT![/HEADING]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Fox KITSUNE said:
I think this is great. Too giants going at each other to compete who's got the better game means better game expereinces for players, more or better future DLC and much more care and time being put in the creation and polishing of games.
Definetly, if anything it will push them to work harder and to make better games. Competition breeds good and fresh ideas!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Jaredin said:
Fox KITSUNE said:
Definetly, if anything it will push them to work harder and to make better games. Competition breeds good and fresh ideas!
I agree, the more furious this competition gets the better quality games we are given :D

GOOOOO EA GOOOOOO

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
Bad company 2 is without a doubt better than MW2 but I still hate EA. I will support IW to the end no matter what stupid shit they pull.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
The problem with the Battlefield franchise - when compared to something like Modern Warfare 2, is that it's not casual enough. Modern Warfare 2 has a huge movie-like story, fast easy-to pick up and play gameplay and a sense of progression whatever you do.

Battlefield can try to copy that sense of progression, but by its very nature large scale team battles aren't going to attract the same attention as small, fast paced games that anyone can play. What's more, Battlefields last title in this franchise (Bad Company) was a terrible failure - an extremely poor single player campaign with a sometimes fun multi-player; not really the sort of game you want to compete with Modern Warfare 2's adrenaline-rush style gameplay. However, the success of the spin-off 1943 might have given the series sufficient public knowledge to get a large number of sales - who knows?

Medal of Honour might have a better chance as it's a more console-orientated franchise - even so, many "non-hardcore" (you know what I mean; the sort that don't spend their time discussing games on the internet but play Call of Duty for hours) gamers have never heard of either franchise, and if they have their experiences are mixed (from personal experience).

Sorry EA, I wouldn't go around claiming they can challenge Modern Warfare 2 in terms of sales just yet...

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Well, IMHO Bad Company 1 was the worst single/muliplayer game I've ever played, only being beaten by the Uncharted 2 multiplayer (but the singleplayer was good). Unless they changed a lot of things in Bad Company 2, I will continue to think it is a horrible game.

Medal of Honor looks interesting, though.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Ranooth said:
Hmmm, i like Medal Of Honor, but i also like Call of Duty. But which one is better?

Well I'm not gonna top that...

Or am I...

There's only one way to -- NO!

Bad Comadorcrack, You lost the joke, let it go...

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I have always been a fan of the DICE games BF2 2142 and soon to be BC2. I have enjoyed countless hours of intense online combat and look forward to many many more with BC2.

Don't get me wrong, I think EA is the devil. But that can't stop them from producing soul devouringly fun games.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Ranooth said:

There's only one way to find out..............[HEADING=1]FIGHT![/HEADING] [HEADING=1]BATTLE ROYALE![/HEADING]
Fixed

Dec 14, 2009
Ranooth said:

Harry Hill ftw.

Looks cool...I'll wait to see the response before buying.

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Coaxill said:
Bad company 2 is without a doubt better than MW2 but I still hate EA. I will support IW to the end no matter what stupid shit they pull.
Despite them reducing the quality of your gaming experience, you'll let them walk all over you?