"Frumpy Mom" Responds To Attacks

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
"Frumpy Mom" Responds To Attacks

Marla Jo Fisher, staff writer at the Orange County Register, responded by saying that videogames are for "young men with no self-esteem" and that games "are doing bad things to kids' brains."

Earlier this week, My bad: Video games are not from Satan. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97259-Frumpy-Mom-Says-Videogames-Made-by-the-Devil] She specifically mentions The Escapist and sarcastically thanks everyone for their comments. She then goes on to criticize videogames with even stronger language than her first post.

First, she takes a swing at the designers of videogames. "I'm not too convinced by people who were such ardent gamers they became video game creators," she said. "That's like saying, "'Gee, I loved crack so much, I went to Colombia and started my own business and now I'm rich.'"

She goes on:

Video game addiction is becoming more and more recognized as a social problem, mostly for young men under the age of 30 with low self-esteem. There are even addiction clinics all over the world for guys who need help.

Fisher emphasizes the following sentences with bold-face, as if to make them more true.

Video game obsession is a serious illness in this country that many people recognize.

Video games and other electronics are doing bad things to kids' brains.

She cites anecdotal evidence from schoolteachers as verifiable scientific proof:

All you have to do is ask any teacher about his or her students' critical thinking skills these days and you will hear a TORRENT of horror stories about kids who have lost the power to think.

Where do you think that's coming from? Right. TV, computers and video games.

Once again, she rewrites history by wondering what would happen if Einstein played games while backhandedly insulting people who play games:

But, hey, maybe you're right.

Maybe, if Albert Einstein had only been able to play video games when he was a youth, maybe he would have come up with that Unified Theory that all physicists hope to find instead of merely the Theory of Relativity.

You do know who Einstein is, right? The dude with the hair.

These quotes were taken from only one of the Frumpy Mom's blog posts. Fisher continues to argue with commenters over the course of the week in Yes, my kids have sad, pathetic lives [http://themomblog.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/07/kids-on-computers-in-middle-of-the-night/42955/] where Fisher shows off how rich she is by all of the international vacations she is apparently able to afford.

Source: Orange County Register [http://themomblog.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/06/my-bad-video-games-are-not-from-satan/42829/]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I like it that she accuses people of having low self esteem, when she describes herself as "Frumpy". But anyway, this women is nothing short of bait for another flame war, but with this one going on in the outside world. (You know, that place where theres no roof, and sometimes the sprinklers can go on for hours).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
So... raise your hand if you think she's a DICK?

*raises hand*

In all seriousness, I'd prefer to be a devil-child with low self esteem, than a spiteful, middle-aged woman who describes herself as frumpy.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
All you have to do is ask any teacher about his or her students' critical thinking skills these days and you will hear a TORRENT of horror stories about kids who have lost the power to think.

Where do you think that's coming from? Right. TV, computers and video games.

"Lost the power to think"?

What, really?

Did you check that, you know, they can still BREATH?

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
No self-esteem eh? Wonder how she managed to get married if she has to attack everything that makes her unhappy.

Mrkittycat

Dec 2, 2009
*raises hand*

I HATE people that believe that video games are the devil and make you stupid. I play games regularly, and have a 3.9 GPA, with plenty of friends

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Greg, I thought you knew better than this. Despite the fact that it is concealed beneath a layer of shine and professionalism, she is still very clearly a troll, and you are definitely feeding it.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I hate her... I hate her so much.
Sparrow said:
So... raise your hand if you think she's a DICK?

*raises hand*

In all seriousness, I'd prefer to be a devil-child with low self esteem, than a spiteful, middle-aged woman who describes herself as frumpy.
Yes i agree to both of these. She is annoying, and down right stupid to be honest. If she meant it as a joke then why say it in a way that people will consider a fact rather then joke. And also, why the hell bother commenting on us? All we were doing was putting our views of her forward. She didn't have to read them nor like them. She wanted the attention, she got the attention.

EDIT: WTF? upon reading the article, why the hell has she put "Satan did not invent video games...Lord Voldemort did."
Jesus this woman is mad. Don't tell me, this is another one of her "jokes", well then its about time she got a new joke book coz these are not funny and purely make her look stupid and silly. If she wants to be a clown and act like a clown and look like a clown then by all means, i now call her a clown.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
She is just another arrogant jerk who stumbled on the internet to voice her stupid opinion. Ignore the troll.

Video game obsession is a serious illness in this country that many people recognize.
this though reminds me when they called homosexallity as a serious illness.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
She's backing up her claims with Harry Potter references. She's clearly just grasping at straws at this stage.

Shouldn't our (mostly) highly intelligent community of gamers be a testament to how wrong she is?

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
Movies and games are bad for people. but she uses Lord Voldemort as a reference. i understand that harry potter is a series of books. but to have the picture of the film up there, while shouting about games and films.

I will never listen to hyporcrites !

[small]well not this one, shes evil[/small]

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
*also raises hand*

I'd like to personally volunteer to fly to California and club this woman in the head with a +6 mace.
And then after the club-fest, I'd quote the greatest of all video game quotes, everyone say it with me:

"I'm here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum."

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Why does anyone care? She is a moron who makes one way accusations without actually listening to both sides. Simply she is an idiot.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Funny she calls us gamers pathetic, when she doesn't see the big, fat redwood log in her own face.

Fine, a small percentage struggle with gaming addiction, should this culture be abolished because of a minority? No, it shouldn't.

I'm all for criticism, but that twat should get her facts and figures straight.

Dec 14, 2009
ToonLink said:
*also raises hand*

I'd like to personally volunteer to fly to California and club this woman in the head with a +6 mace.
And then after the club-fest, I'd quote the greatest of all video game quotes, everyone say it with me:

"I'm here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum."
Better make it a +10 mace of stupid bashing.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Nimbus said:
Greg, I thought you knew better than this. Despite the fact that it is concealed beneath a layer of shine and professionalism, she is still very clearly a troll, and you are definitely feeding it.
I think we're in Poe territory actually. It's crazy enough that it could very well be legit, but equally just be a well crafted troll.

You do know who Einstein is, right? The dude with the hair.
So we can safely cut out every bald person to narrow it down. I suppose she said 'dude' which insinuates it's a male as well, so every male, non-bald person in history.

Let's get cracking, eh?

I would respond to all her points, but most of them defy logic.

I don't care if 'many people' recognise it. I do care if the medical profession recognises it though. To my knowledge, neither the American Medical Association nor the American Psychiatric Association recognise Video Game Addiction as an official medical disorder/illness.

Unless she's willing to produce some medical degrees which can back up her diagnosis, I think she should go be quiet in the corner, because the real doctors who actually know about such things have deliberated it and found there to be inconclusive evidence.