Sega Trades Project Needlemouse Info for Sonic Trivia

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Trades Project Needlemouse Info for Sonic Trivia

Do you want information on Project Needlemouse, the upcoming retro-inspired 2D Sonic the Hedgehog? If so, you'll have to muster all twelve remaining Sonic fans for a bout of trivia with the overlords at Sega.

In case you aren't familiar with the idea, I present to you the Sonic Cycle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/61775], which generally goes like this: 1.) A new Sonic game is announced, promising a return to the series' roots and the Hedgehog's triumphant return from languishing in mediocrity. 2.) Screencaps surface showing all of Sonic's old friends - who people don't like playing with as much as the classic Blue Blur (and Tails and Knuckles, naturally) - as well as the new ones, and anticipation begins to wane. 3.) The game comes out, is crap, fans bitterly complain that they will never be fooled again, see (Step 1).

While Sega Blog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94573-New-2D-Sonic-Coming-in-2010], it was announced that the upcoming week would feature multiple reveals for Needlemouse - who the playable characters were, who the figure in the logo was, and all that jazz - as long as fans can answer trivia questions about the past Sonic games.

But the interesting - and kind of hilarious - part is the format in which the "character reveals" will happen: The logo features all the potential playable characters, and if the community meets the collective trivia challenge, the site will be updated with stamps over the names that aren't in the game. So effectively, the promotion department at Sega is telling us who won't be in the game, which is sort of amusing given the infamous Cycle.

One can only hope that at the end of the week, there's only one name left remaining. Well, maybe two - "Sonic's New Friend Mr. Needlemouse" sounds awfully enticing.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Ahh man its good to hear the old "Segaaaaa".

No Knuckles? Ah come on he's the best one!

Just Sonic, Tails and fucking Knuckles.

Edit - Who the hell is Big the cat?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Sir Ollie said:

He was playable in Sonic Adventure for dreamcast, he fished for his frog the entire game..I will kill my self if he makes it in.

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

Or Tails or Knuckles for that matter?

Yet they have Sonics own name up there, surely hes going to be in it?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
coxafloppin said:
Sir Ollie said:

He was playable in Sonic Adventure for dreamcast, he fished for his frog the entire game..I will kill my self if he makes it in.

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

That's the thing man....the silhouette up there in the logo......

As far as I can tell it doesn't actually look like Sonic and that's something that's had me worried for a while as I'm one of those twelve remaining fans.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lordlee said:
Step One: Remake Adventure 1 and 2 with better camera
Step Two: Release on all platforms as full price combo game
Step Three: Make mint
Profit all araound...yay!

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
coxafloppin said:

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

I want Robotnik back, that sounded more sinister.. And while I am fantasising I want the good old Character deisgns back, along with good plattforming and good storys.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
anthony87 said:
coxafloppin said:
Sir Ollie said:

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

That's the thing man....the silhouette up there in the logo......

As far as I can tell it doesn't actually look like Sonic and that's something that's had me worried for a while as I'm one of those twelve remaining fans.
It may not look like modern sonic, it kinda resembles the older fatter sonic from the 90's tho.

Imagine it was Crash Bandicoot, You would shit bricks (Impossible i know, but its something ive allways wanted)

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
Sir Ollie said:
I did miss it so.
I miss the fast taling Sega myself

A 2D sonic game huh? Hopefully it will be better than the ones that were on the GBA.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Sir Ollie said:
O those were the days.

On a madder note, why are Big and Froggy split up? You can't have one without the other!

cde

Jan 11, 2010
And another obvious point:

There are 10 non-Sonic names. 10 is a good number for a trivia quiz.

My guess it is counts down to just "Sonic" and the crowd goes wild...

(Call me an old guy or a GameGear/Megadrive purist, but they lost me at Tails.)

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I'm thinking that Sega saw how well New Super Mario Bros Wii has done and thought. "Hey, we could go back to the 2D thing right?"

While I liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I would just really like a Sonic game that doesn't have a huge ensamble cast. Here's to hoping they get back to just an awesome 2D game.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Sir Ollie said:

A big, rather dim purple feline whose story mode in Sonic Adventure consisted of fishing for Froggy (his best friend) in various locations.
Oh, and if Froggy is playable I'm going to kill someone - although I'm not too thrilled by the idea of Chip or Charmy making a reappearance either.
And Tikal, last time we saw her, was living happily with Chaos - why would she come back?
Who the hell is Shade?

1 Smith

Aug 11, 2009
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
Sir Ollie said:

A big, rather dim purple feline whose story mode in Sonic Adventure consisted of fishing for Froggy (his best friend) in various locations.
Oh, and if Froggy is playable I'm going to kill someone - although I'm not too thrilled by the idea of Chip or Charmy making a reappearance either.
And Tikal, last time we saw her, was living happily with Chaos - why would she come back?
Who the hell is Shade?

Shade is a Echidna (like Knucles)but form a opposing clan, She has only been in Sonic chronicles by Bioware