Wizard101 Community Raises $126,000 for Charity

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wizard101 Community Raises $126,000 for Charity

Testament to the power of gamers to put their money where their hearts are to help people out, the community of free-to-play MMOG Wizard101 raised a combined $126,000 to give to children in need.

Last month, Wizard101 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96869-Wizard101-Sells-In-Game-Mount-for-Charity], had hopped on board the Child's Play train with its in-game Meowmodon mount, a giant rideable tiger that fetched a price of approximately $15 (in real world money). The proceeds were split evenly between Penny Arcade's Child's Play as well as the Austin Children's Shelter, an institution that "provides emergency shelter and care for abused and neglected children," meaning that each charity got $7.50 for each mount sold.

By my count, that's a total of 8,400 Meowmodons sold. So eight-and-a-half-thousand young aspiring Wizards are now riding around Wizard City on their Meowmodons while doing their Wizard Training and honing their Wizard skills (or just hanging out and chatting), and they helped support a good cause for doing it. As every MMOG player knows, tiny contributions add up over time.

"Wizard101 fans have shown that there truly is strength in numbers," said Elie Akilian, CEO of KingsIsle Entertainment. "We were thrilled to see the Wizard101 community band together to benefit these two great organizations."

Nice job, guys. As we say in the MMOG biz, "for the win," indeed.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Great Job Guys! Glad to see the gaming community raising money for Child's Play. Between them and the folks from LRR, I am sure they raised a lot of extra money this year.

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
Guess a bunch of killer gamers have a talent for being kind people. Weird.

Lothalis

Jan 11, 2010
I am proud of these guys for doing this.

If anyone plays this look for me Robert Mooncaster

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Well that is sweet.

Schools should actually do that to raise money. I do love it when they sell candy for dances and extra curriclur activites, but I would love riding a giant white cat to class more.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Wow, i remember reading this and thinking there would be like maybe 20,000 raised. But this is fenominal, and its great!

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Kudos. Congrats to the developers and all those who contributed to such a good cause. (Any cause to help out those less fortunate, especially kids is ok in my books)

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
Crimsane said:
That's the way to do a damn charity, not 5% of the profits. *coughNDoorscough*
This. Seriously. Ndoors made 95k profit (minus a small operating cost for the person who had to process the orders) and gave 5k to charity. That is of course if they are even giving that whole 5% of all orders for that. I doubt it though because 5k is a little too round of a number.