MLG Win Destroyed by a Crashed Xbox

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
MLG Win Destroyed by a Crashed Xbox

A Major League Gaming match that was almost certainly going to result in a win for team Triggers Down had to be replayed because the host Xbox 360 froze.

Major League Gaming held its Halo 3 National Championship in Orlando, Florida this weekend. Seeded first, many believed that the team Triggers Down would win the championship for the third year in a row, but they never got the chance. They would have at least advanced past the semi-finals had an Xbox 360 not malfunctioned in the closing seconds of a match in which Triggers Down was about to defeat Classic. Classic lost to Believe The Hype in the finals.

Playing Halo CTF, Triggers Down had all 4 team members of Classic dead, and only had to turn in the flag in order to win the match and proceed ot the next bracket. But just as the player Heinz was about to turn it in, the hosting Xbox froze up. According to MLG rules, when there is a hardware failure of any kind, the entire round is eligible for a replay. In the do-over, Classic beat Triggers Down by a score of 5-2 and advanced.

All sports arenas have their little idiosyncrasies and house rules that can sometimes alter major sporting events. Hitting the catwalks above the field at nearby Tropicana Field [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropicana_Field#Catwalks], for example.

But to have your match taken away because your rig froze? Within inches of victory? That sucks. Hard.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5445667/mlg-win-ruined-by-faulty-xbox-360]

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Har Har...Xbox 360 freezing..
It's funny because it's true! (Mine freezes randomly, but only during specific games)

That is pretty much a slap to the face though. There's a good chance that freeze. which resulted in a rematch, demoralized them quite a bit and that of course resulted in their loss.

Oh well...

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
That has got to be embarissing. I got good money that after the rematch at least one member of triggers Down ran into the nearest restroom and either cried or yelled profainty at the top of his lungs.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
They should have got the win. There is clearly no way they were going to lose that close to the flag.

Gotta love the xbox hardware issues though, gives online gaming a whole new dimension. Will the opposition or the hardware beat you?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
RabidWombat said:
This is why consoles suck, and "pro gaming" should be left 4 pc.
And PC's never EVER freeze, or fail?

Daystar Clarion said:
God's way of telling them that they have wasted their lives. Bloody tourney tards.
True that. Maybe if they were playing a sport and one of the end-zones blew up I'd be sympathetic, but this is video games people!

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
RabidWombat said:
Yeah, PC's NEVER crash, freeze, or have any technical problems EVEEEEEEER *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I can't stand pro gaming. All it is is a bunch of glorified cheap online tactics like the flag throwing and spawn camping Halo "pros" always do.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
YOUCH! thats gotta hurt bad. Despite me not giving a damn about all the MLG stuff, I feel sorry for the team :(

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
And at that moment, when their chances of victory and fame were bedashed by a small hardware malfunction, the members of Triggers Down realized just how pathetic their career truly was.

I'm sorry I just can't have sympathy for an MLG team. I have a strong hate towards competitive gaming.

Nex-Falx

Dec 24, 2009
RabidWombat said:
Yeah, PCs NEVER FRE-........

(Get it? Har har)
Edit: Ninja'd by Tyger e.e

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
RabidWombat said:
Wow...really? Just couldn't resist?

They should use my Xbox 360, hasn't froze on me and I've had no issues with it at all

RabidWombat

Aug 19, 2009
Nex-Falx said:
RabidWombat said:
Yeah, PCs NEVER FRE-........

(Get it? Har har)
Edit: Ninja'd by Tyger e.e
Got that memo already, Im just saying, I THINK (Im not a computer or console expert) that computers are moar reliable.

No go quote me and tell me Im wrong

RabidWombat

Aug 19, 2009
Quad08 said:
RabidWombat said:
Wow...really? Just couldn't resist?

They should use my Xbox 360, hasn't froze on me and I've had no issues with it at all
I did have to say it, Ive always hated consoles, ever since my super nintendo broke, consoles have had something against me for the past few years.