Yahtzee and Pals to Open Videogame Bar

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Yahtzee and Pals to Open Videogame Bar

If you live in Australia, Yahtzee has your Friday and Saturday nights planned out already, and maybe your weeknights too.

[video=1388]

Yahtzee mentioned his plans for the Mana Bar during his interview with us at GameX. Now, with the help of a few friends, he plans to make that situation a reality with the Mana Bar, opening in February 2010.

The Mana Bar [http://www.manabar.com.au/] is a licensed establishment being put together by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw, Guy 'Yug' Blomberg, Pras Moorthy, and Shay Leighton. It'll be located in Brisbane, Australia, entry will be free, and it won't cost a thing to play videogames there either. LCD screens will be attached to the walls where patrons can play next-gen console systems, and it will also function just like a regular bar so people can order drinks and have a great time.

It'll be more than just a bar with videogames too. The group of owners plan to hold industry and student special events, such as speakers from the game development industry, while Yahtzee himself will regularly host videogame trivia. Certain games will be available for purchase behind the bar, with launch parties to celebrate their releases. The Mana Bar will also hold videogame competitions, with prizes, that will take place regularly throughout the week.

With a 50 person capacity, the Mana Bar will likely be full every night. It might be the most awesome thing I've ever heard of. Gamers need a place to gather that treats them like mature adults, and the Mana Bar seems to be this to the letter. In addition to the Facebook [http://www.manabar.com.au/]

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
sounds like every guys dream, just change videogame to their favorite pass time, sport, gay, pirate, good for him, and good for the nearby gamers and/or drinkers, it sounds awesome.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Good luck to them! Fantastic idea.

4 friends + big screen + mario kart *cough* 64 *cough* + booze = joy

I'd be willing to pay a cover charge if they'd provide dedicated areas for groups.

I love the idea of cocktails called Potions. That's classic. Maybe the urinals could be modelled to look like the Health stations from Half Life 2 (too much?).

Captain Schpack

Apr 22, 2009
Hell, I'm so on board . . . .

But unfortunately I am filthy American and live no where near Australia.

Greta idea, Yatzhee and co. I will definitely check this out if I ever get the chance.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, now I want to live in Australia. The closest thing you get here is an internet cafe. Wahoo?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That would probably be the only bar I would actually consider going to. Hmmmmm, if by the off chance I'm ever in Australia I'll have to check it out.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Good name, good concept, good luck gettin in as I guess it will constantly full, but then that's good business.

Shame about the location. Nothing against Brisbane, but as a demographic, gamers from Brisbane are less than, well virtually everywhere else.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Bloody hell, I really do wish Yahtzee hadn't emigrated now. I'm in the UK and where I live we have nothing like that. That's just bloody awesome. If I'm ever in Australia I'll have to drop by sometime :D.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Health potion = Bloody mary!
Mana potion = Blue Angel

now give me a share(drink) in the company(bar) for my brainstorming!

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I've totally thought about this before. If only I could afford to buy a bar and all the things I'd need for the setup.

Lady K

Apr 16, 2009
I might actually want to go to Australia now. Before I was dissuaded by the poisonous animals that seem to run rampant >>