Facebook Fugitive Found

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Fugitive Found

Craig "Lazie" Lynch, the escaped prisoner who spent his time on the run updating his Facebook page, has been captured.

A brief recap for those who missed it Hollesley Bay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97181-Prison-Escapee-Continues-to-Update-Facebook], an "open prison" in the U.K. where he was serving out the end of his sentence. Why he felt the need to go on the lam when his freedom was imminent anyway is a bit of a mystery, but his conduct following the breakout makes it clear that he's probably not in any danger of landing on anyone's "Smartest Guy on the Planet" list.

Instead of lying low as you'd expect an escaped convict to do, he took the time to update his Facebook page on a regular basis. He taunted the police, talked about his disdain for MySpace and even his plans for New Year's Eve, and he also managed to build up quite a following among Facebook users, at one point having more than 27,000 people registered as fans of his Facebook page.

But Lynch's bid for freedom has finally come to an end: He was captured by police in Kent last night and has been charged with escaping from lawful custody. His "Where Is Craig 'Lazie' Lynch?" [http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=233116425985&so=15#/group.php?v=info&gid=233116425985] page has filled up rather quickly with comments celebrating his arrest and asking where all the "idiot groupies" have gone.

Strangely enough, Lynch might actually have a "get out of jail free" card on this one, despite being on the run for several months: In July 2007 a U.K. court ruled [http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/reports/article2395081.ece] that a prisoner who had failed to return from an unsupervised day pass from an open prison wasn't an escaped prisoner because he had not actually escaped custody; therefore, he could not be guilty of the offense of the "common-law offense" of escape from lawful custody. The circumstances may be different or the law may have been changed since then, but it's also possible, however unpleasant this is to consider, that our go-boy isn't quite as stupid as we thought.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/8456182.stm]

Monkeytacoz

Sep 22, 2009
i escaped from jail, so the smart thing to do would be to keep updating my facebook page and making fun of the cops....... sounds like a good idea to me

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Can we execute him? Not because his crime was bad, but just because a) he's an obvious utter asshole, and b) anybody that stupid needs to be keep away from the gene pool.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
He was captured by police in the city of Kent last night and has been charged with escaping from lawful custody.
Uhh. Kent is not a city...

On topic, this guy wins my idiot of the week competition.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Kalezian said:
dear diary, today I broke out of jail and I am bored, I might make a facebook account so I can keep in touch with my friends and play farmville!

last entry: Dear Diary, oh no! they found me, even though I was on the internet playing my vidiya games they somehow must of tracked me down somehow, one of the officers said something about an internet tracer but I think it was someone who was closest to me..........wait, DIARY HOW COULD YOU?
hahaha, niiiiice... :p

Honestly, I don't know why he's such a phenomenon. I've seen bigger idiots before...

buut then again, I've seen smarter people too...

...Meaning he's just an indecisive middle-man. :p

My logic works and you know it!

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
he's probably not in any danger of landing on anyone's "Smartest Guy on the Planet" list.
Unless, of course, if that was part of some kind of master plan.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
in the city of Kent
Pstt its a county not a city.

Also this guy is pretty smart I can easily seem him getting interviews and appearing on shows soon, thats a good job for a a lazy guy.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Doug said:
Can we execute him? Not because his crime was bad, but just because a) he's an obvious utter asshole, and b) anybody that stupid needs to be keep away from the gene pool.
He lives in England. Not America. Or China.

Andy Chalk said:
But Lynch's bid for freedom has finally come to an end: He was captured by police in the city of Kent last night and has been charged with escaping from lawful custody.
Kent is a county, not a city.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Doug said:
I thought the whole thing was pretty funny to be honest. A huge farce involving the authorities and fugitive. Like watching two clowns chase each other.

No need to be all serious business about it, its not like he raped a child.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SikOseph said:
It was a fun story whileit lasted. Reflects badly on Facebook that they shut his page down - disdain for authority isn't against their ToS.
And disdain for criminal escapee's isn't?
Sparrow said:
Doug said:
He lives in England. Not America. Or China.
I'm English, and I'm sure we have the old hang man setup in storage somewhere; just as a special exception...
Zac_Dai said:
Doug said:
I thought the whole thing was pretty funny to be honest. A huge farce involving the authorities and fugitive. Like watching two clowns chase each other.

No need to be all serious business about it, its not like he raped a child.
But the thing is... this idiot HAS A VOTE! That means his opinion gets an equal weight to yours and mine (I don't think we take the vote away from criminals..?)...

I mean...he breaks out of an open prison shortly before his official release, and then continuously updates his facebook! He needs a Darwin award!

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Strangely enough, Lynch might actually have a "get out of jail free" card on this one, despite being on the run for several months: In July 2007 a U.K. court ruled [http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/reports/article2395081.ece] that a prisoner who had failed to return from an unsupervised day pass from an open prison wasn't an escaped prisoner because he had not actually escaped custody; therefore, he could not be guilty of the offense of the "common-law offense" of escape from lawful custody. The circumstances may be different or the law may have been changed since then, but it's also possible, however unpleasant this is to consider, that our go-boy isn't quite as stupid as we thought.
So Lynch may not go to jail because of a law that passed in 2007? If that law didn't change then Lynch would celebrate by posting all over facebook about it. Good luck, mate!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The fact that he might get away from escaping from prison baffles me. It's even more absurd when I consider an article I read a while back about a man who got arrested and is facing jail time for turning in a gun he found in a dumpster to the police.

UK legal system is one wierd piece of poop...

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
So after all of his shouting, this guy gets released just like that. So he didn't have anything to talk about in the first place. It looks to me like the joke has been specifically on him this whole time.