Spider-Man No More

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Spider-Man No More

MovieBob reflects on the sudden death of the Spider-Man movies.

Read Full Article

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yeah, I know what you mean, I have this kind of uneasy feeling in the back of my head whenever I read about this Spidey-remake.

*Sigh*

It was good whilst it lasted.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Nice, Looks liked your about as pissed as the rest of us about this. I didn't think they would ruin spirderman but here we are.
Fat cats and the wallets...farewell to a francise which could have been so epic

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I agree with you MovieBob. Sony recently hasn't been known for making good business decisions recently, and this is just another example of it IMO. Raimi made 2 Great Spiderman movies and 1 ok - good one. The latter being the ond where control was taken away from him, because we all know Studio Exec's who probably never read a comic book know better then the guy who made them a few hundred million...

Bah... Here's hoping WoW is a blockbuster and the new Spiderman bombs.. Maybe then they will figure it out...

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
I honestly think it's better for Raimi to get out now. He made his Spiderman movies and they were good. Let the franchise rest after 3 good films and move on to bigger and brighter things. I remember hearing a while ago that Raimi didn't want to make a 4th film anyway.

It's Sony supposed reboot that's the problem. My bet is that after 3 or 7 rewrites and director changes, the project gets scrapped.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
I'm sure alot of people are gutted about this but the movies never really grasped me.
Also my favourite spiderman villian; Venom
hardly got screen time which was pretty naf to be honest.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Maybe it's the comic book snob in me, but everytime I see someone say Venom is their favorite spider-man villain I can't help but roll my eyes ;p... he's not even one of his interesting bad guys.

But heh, I guess he looks cool.

And can't agree more about Spider-Man 3 not being as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I certainly don't like this development, but I'm not entirely unhappy with the prospect of an Ultimate Spider-Man movie.

After all, it's one of the very few Ultimate series worth reading, and there's certainly some potential for a movie conversion.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Yet more elitist complaining and moaning from a person who hard as I try, am completely incapable of simply dismissing as the rantings of a fanboy with delusions of privilege.

Everything I've ever seen or heard come from this guy just screams "comic book guy"

Who says the new direction for Spider-Man isn't the correct choice? and to be frank YES the third film was as bad as everyone says, it was a confused mess with obvious attempts at sabotage of the trilogy by the director.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I hated spider man 3. I really did.

The first 2 were brilliant, but what where they thinking in 3?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Tis a great shame, I love how Raimi made the films, in fact I remember certain stupid Tabloid critics panning the film before it was finished simply because of the director.

I also remember my friend Scott at the time telling me
"Spiderman is great, he's just like us"

Yes Scott, just like us.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Wasn't Spider-Man the original angsty teen with superpowers?

Edit: Come to that, if they increase Mary Jane's role in these new movies this might be a good way to ween the twilight girls off their sparkly vampire milk and onto some serious comic book whiskey.

Or it could just suck.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Here's hoping it marks the end of the superhero era... I can't think how many great films like Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko didn't get made as a result of studio focus on milking the great cash cows.

Wait, actually I'll say this after Kick Ass comes out.... That film looked great!

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Tarkand said:
Maybe it's the comic book snob in me, but everytime I see someone say Venom is their favorite spider-man villain I can't help but roll my eyes ;p... he's not even one of his interesting bad guys.
I don't get why a lot of people seem to dislike Venom. Is it backlash over the child-like impulse to think he's cool, and you want to distance yourself from that? Whatever, Venom isn't really my favorite villain, he's my favorite character, because after combining with Venom, Brock moved from cardboard cut-out to someone with depth (speaking of the animated series, here).

Anyway, glad to see someone else doesn't like the Ultimate series. They're hit and miss, but for me, they miss far too often. And any series where canon is thrown out the window because the new author felt it wasn't interesting, yeah...

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
ravens_nest said:
Here's hoping it marks the end of the superhero era... I can't think how many great films like Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko didn't get made as a result of studio focus on milking the great cash cows.

Wait, actually I'll say this after Kick Ass comes out.... That film looked great!
Donnie Darko is a comic book movie without a comic...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
First film was good.

Didn't like the second.

Third was OK (albeit too confusing).

OT: As long as they don't do this too the Batman films, I'll live - although I can see why people are pissed.

I wonder sometimes if producers think they know what will sell, when really they'd make more if they let the people making the product take charge.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Heathrow said:
ravens_nest said:

Donnie Darko is a comic book movie without a comic...
Its a great film nonetheless...

I'm not complaining about films like The Dark Knight, they would have been made regardless...

What we didn't need was a shopping list of the most popular Marvel and DC characters to be churned out into mediocre films one after the other, sapping all the funds and man power from more original and creative movies like Donnie Darko...

Tazzlefrass

Libido Knievel
Oct 12, 2009
Forget all of this! Saved By the Spider-Bell will kick ass!

Imagine: Michael Cera as Peter Parker. Megan Fox as Mary Jane (who will refuse to dye her hair). Cast Diablo Cody to write it and we can have a great Juno meets Twilight movie featuring a brooding yet awkward teenage protagonist who has to take care of his eight month pregnant girlfriend (nothing connects with today's youth like teen pregnancy). Also, it will be directed by Michael Bay, because Spiderman was meant to shoot explosions instead of webbing. We can have a great 'Splosion Man tie in! We'll need to hire Uwe Boll as producer, he's had a lot of experience with video game-based movies.