The Canceled Division 9 Was Left 4 Dead Before Valve Did It

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Canceled Division 9 Was Left 4 Dead Before Valve Did It

Before working on Left 4 Dead [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279575047&sr=1-1] called Division 9, but never completed it.

[flowplayer=http://media1.gameinformer.com/media/video/2010/irrational/m-division9/m-division9.mp4 width=600]

If you've played Left 4 Dead or CoD: WAW [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ852/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280257124&sr=1-1]'s "Nazi Zombies" mode, we might have seen it a whole lot earlier if Irrational Games had ever completed work on a little project called Division 9.

Irrational boss Ken Levine spoke with GameInformer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/01/12/trailer-for-irrational-s-scrapped-zombie-game.aspx] about the canceled game, showing off a trailer (as seen above) and screenshots. The game would have put a hefty emphasis on scarce resources and base-building, requiring the survivors to make - and stock - their refuge point.

"The reason we were frustrated with zombie games at the time was they never had the sense that you got for Dawn of the Dead [http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Unrated-Directors-Blu-ray/dp/B001CW7ZW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280863822&sr=1-1], because there was really only Resident Evil at that time," said Levine. "That there was this group of survivors and they had to gather resources. They'd lock themselves up in the mall, and then be like 'Oh, sh*t. We don't have any food. We have to go out into the world and take these risks.' And that was the game design, basically. You have a group of survivors, and these resources. You'd have to take on risks to get more supplies, ammo, and people. You sort of build up your group of survivors."

Missions would have had an effect on the city, giving the game a rather ambitious scope: A mission to restore power to the city would provide lighting for further nighttime excursions, rescuing a doctor and bringing him back to your base would, well, let you have a doctor at your base to patch you up, so on and so forth.

It seems like a very interesting idea, and judging from the trailer, the game has a significantly slower pace than L4D, but it's also a much more scary game. For all I love L4D2, there's very little time where you aren't at least splattering some zombies' brains across the wall, but the above clip of Division 9 shows some rather long-seeming moments where you see neither rotting hide nor hair of a single undead. It's a very tense atmosphere (probably belabored by the absolutely glacial pace at which you walk. Jeez Louise).

But alas, the game was lost in the move to Take-Two, which seems a shame. But we did get BioShock out of the deal, so... fair trade?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
That actually sounds a lot better than L4D. It's more realistic (which I prefer in games), it's potentially a better style of play, and it gives a much better game structure in general. I think that would be infinitely preferable to L4D (don't get me wrong, L4D and L4D2 are still brilliant games :D). Let's just hope that the idea isn't completely dead. Perhaps soner or later (ideally sooner) some enterprising developer will pick that idea up from off the ground and get to work on it :).

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Looks like Swat 4 with zombies XD, i'd probably would have picked this up over left4dead, i bet it would have been a smash hit

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Hubilub said:

I want that game.

I'd pick it over Left 4 Dead
We sacrificed something that great for Bioshock!? (it was alright but it wasn't good enough to miss out on something that looked that cool)

I think we got screwed.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
That looks like what I had hoped L4D would have been. I've said it before, but who would remember, I can't stand zombies that are fast or games that are way too frantic.

skullbone

Sep 29, 2008
That looks like it would have been a good game and tbh its more realistic in a sense while being fun. i agrre with Hubilub here i would buy that over L4D anyday since it looks more like a zombie game film (if that makes any sense) than L4D.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
'Tis a shame. Looks like it would have been a fucking blast to play. Unlike most zombie shooters slash survival horror games, this IS a zombie shooter slash survival horror. I would imagine the slow movement is to set the atmosphere, or it could be the characters needing stealth to not waste ammo and remain undetected by hordes of zombies.

I would take this masterpiece over Left 5 Dead 7 any day of the year.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
You know, that actually sounds quite cool... Somewhere between RTS and L4D... Are they sure there's no scope for this (if not, can I haz vapourware please?)

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
A more sandbox-esque version of Left 4 Dead, with walking zombies?

Hell, they should of made this instead of Bioshock.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Fascinating! I had no idea Bioshock's makers were working on something like this before Left 4 Dead, although to give them credit, if there's anyone other than Valve that could come up with something like this, it'd probably be the makers of Bioshock.

The trailer was pretty interesting. Definitely slower than today's Left 4 Dead, but still looks pretty fun. Who knows, maybe some day Irrational might revisit this project!