Source Confirms Tecmo Bowl Throwback On PSN, XBLA

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Source Confirms Tecmo Bowl Throwback On PSN, XBLA

Tecmo is still working on updating the beloved Tecmo Super Bowl and plans to release it on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network.

There is now confirmation from a source at Tecmo that they are working on a Tecmo Super Bowl update for the Xbox Live and the PlayStation network and that it is based on the SNES version of the game. No word on an NFL license, but EA has that pretty much wrapped up. The title is reported as being Tecmo Bowl Throwback and there is no word on pricing or a release date.

The series has as storied history. First, there was the arcade cabinet game Tecmo Bowl and its NES port. Then came Tecmo Super Bowl in 1991, and it was the first game to feature both the NFL and NFL players' license. You could play an entire season, saving an impressive level of statistics on the cartridges battery. There were injuries, passer ratings, and of course a playoff tournament resulting in the ultimate "Super Bowl." A Super Nintendo version was released in '93 which added better sound and graphics, as were other sequels, but none captured lightning in a bottle quite like Tecmo Super Bowl. The simple and fun gameplay (there are only 8 plays to choose from as compared to Madden's myriad menus) with a deep level of statistics has earned recognition (EGM, IGN and Gamefaqs all ranked it in their top 100 videogames of all time) and spawned endless modding through emulation and a huge community of players who play each other online [http://www.knobbe.org/joomla/front.html].

Tecmo released Joystiq [http://www.amazon.com/Tecmo-Bowl-Kickoff-Nintendo-DS/dp/B00198PO6W/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280861835&sr=1-1] reported that a game which was then called Tecmo Bowl Wii was cancelled and the company would continue developing a more family friendly football game to fit with the Wii's demographic. It appears that Tecmo Bowl Throwback is a continuation of that project.

I, for one, wish I could play the Raiders circa 1991 and let Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen school all your asses.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/rumor-tecmo-bowl-throwback-coming-to-xbla-psn/]

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Although I may not know anything about this primitive game "American football" it does give me hope that I might see a remake of the Michael own endorsed football game I used to have for, I think, N64 although it may have been psone

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
messy said:
Although I may not know anything about this primitive game "American football" it does give me hope that I might see a remake of the Michael own endorsed football game I used to have for, I think, N64 although it may have been psone
Same here...I know nothing of American Football, but, it does make me wish they would do something similar with the old fashioned Football games on the older systems, which, were actually fun (Ah, to be young!)

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Jaredin said:
messy said:
Same here...I know nothing of American Football, but, it does make me wish they would do something similar with the old fashioned Football games on the older systems, which, were actually fun (Ah, to be young!)
Ever play sensible soccer for the megadrive? That game was epic; and it even had a edit team options so you and your mates could live out your dreams (all be it 2D)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
messy said:
Jaredin said:
messy said:
Ever play sensible soccer for the megadrive? That game was epic; and it even had a edit team options so you and your mates could live out your dreams (all be it 2D)
I did! God, those were the days. Used to play it for hours on end

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Jaredin said:
messy said:
Jaredin said:
messy said:
I did! God, those were the days. Used to play it for hours on end
It's actually amazing, it goes to show you don't need expensive licencing, perfectly rendered players or even a decent physics engine to have fun with a sport game

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Tecmo bowl is possibly the only sports game I ever gave a shit about. This will be awesome.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I, for one, wish I could play the Raiders circa 1991 and let Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen school all your asses.
Phah! They couldn't beat Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith's Cowboys and you know it.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
akmarksman said:
Time for some Jerry Rice and Joe Montana.. :)
Ack... you beat me to it. I just hope there is an edit players/teams options so that we can actually make it the game it was OR the game we want it to be. Imagine Montana to Rice vs. Brady to Moss. That would be a showdown of the ages.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Giants punter Jeff Feagles is the last remaining active player who appeared on the original Tecmo Bowl; that's longevity in a career; even as a punter

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Screw this. When do we get Tecmo Cup Soccer Game?

Imagine a soccer game RPG and this was it. It had special attacks, charecter developement and a story. It was fucking excellent. As well as really difficult, but then all games used to be hard.