Rockstar Responds to San Diego Allegations

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Responds to San Diego Allegations

A leaked email attributed to Rockstar New York denies the allegations of the "Rockstar Wives" and encourages dissatisfied employees to speak out about their concerns.

You should know the story by now: A group of "determined devoted wives" of Rockstar San Diego employees recently published an open letter Rockstar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97391-Rockstar-Wives-Complain-About-Working-Conditions] itself has also come to light, admitting that the last few months have been "tough" but disputing most of the wives' allegations.

Posted on Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RockstarSpouse/20100107/4032/Wives_of_Rockstar_San_Diego_employees_have_collected_themselves.php#comment40275], the email from Rockstar New York to San Diego employees is dated January 11, soon after the initial controversy erupted. In it, the company says it "takes issues related to working conditions extremely seriously and will look to address any genuine concerns immediately."

"We do not agree with the allegations in the Gamasutra post (e.g. there has been no reduction in health benefits or ancillary benefits and perks (such as free dinners and massages etc), wage increases across the studio have kept track with cost of living increases, and anyone who feels they have been overlooked for a bonus for a game they worked on please contact HR to discuss as soon as possible)," the email continues. "Nevertheless, we do know that the team is working very hard right now, and we care deeply about the physical health and mental well-being of every single person on our team. We are committed to working through any issues anyone at the studio may have, and to providing support wherever possible."

Employees who have "concerns" are directed to contact one of Rockstar's human resources people or, to speak "in confidence outside of Rockstar," to get in touch with the head of human resources for Take Two Interactive [http://www.take2games.com/].

It sounds good, but not everyone is convinced that the sentiment is genuine. One follow-up comment said the email was either "twisting the truth or an outright lie," while another, posted by someone claiming to be a member of the Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054769&sr=1-1] development team, implied that the situation has already gone too far. "It's very hard to imagine a bright future working under a management that we have already lost trust in," he wrote. "On the behalf of many, I suggest that the two current studio managers quit."

With the response from Rockstar New York in the books, we've now heard from everyone except the San Diego developers themselves. A few have commented on the matter individually but unlike the wives, the management or the IGDA, they have yet to get together and speak with a unified voice. It could be that they're afraid to rock the boat, or that they're spending every waking moment on the game and simply don't have time to make themselves heard; it's also possible, I suppose, that they just wish the women would go away and do something else so they could get on with their jobs. Whatever the reason, until the employees make themselves heard, or Red Dead Redemption comes out on time and is as awesome as everyone hopes, this mess will continue to be an ugly blemish on Rockstar's record.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
There cup runneth over. It seems all that is happening is everyone outside the actualy controversy has an opinions but those it actually affects are keeping pretty quiet.

It would be nice to hear from the workers as a unified force rather than all these associated third parties.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jaredin said:
There cup runneth over. It seems all that is happening is everyone outside the actualy controversy has an opinions but those it actually affects are keeping pretty quiet.
Maybe that's because there isn't one.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That doesn't sound very promising. I'm still going to rent RDR but I doubt it will be anything worth buying. If everything there is so mismanaged, we probably wont see a decent final product. Even if it wasn't, let's face it the best thing R* has done this generation is Chinatown Wars.

And I can understand why individual employees haven't come fourth. They would be next on the chopping block and as much as their jobs may suck, it's a really bad time to be looking for employment in the US. Especially in game development.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
"anyone who feels they have been overlooked for a bonus for a game they worked on please contact HR to discuss as soon as possible"

Ah, the ages old HR trap to find the malcontents and replace them ruthlessly.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Maybe that's because there isn't one.
Or maybe the involved parties are so busy that responding to internet controversy isn't just a threat to their livelihood, but impractical given the situation's inherent time constraints.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I'm willing to bet DarkSaber's comment is the correct one. I've worked at a big corporation long enough to know, if you are willing to complain, then you are willing to find yourself another job, because there is such a demand for jobs, that they could fire you and hire someone else to take your place for a fraction of your wage.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Bretty said:
I still want their jobs

"(such as free dinners and massages etc)"
Exactly, I would gladly trade in my benefits (the occasional free broken donut or muffin) for theirs (FREE DINNER and MASSAGES!) Plus, the pay would be nice. If they don't like it, why don't they ban together and make their own company? Also, if they don't like it, they should find another job because people would gladly take theirs.