Meet All Eight Mega Man 10 Evil Robot Masters

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Meet All Eight Mega Man 10 Evil Robot Masters

Dr. Wily must be hard up to come up with new ideas, as Mega Man 10 pits the Blue Bomber against such luminaries like Sheep Man, Strike Man, and Pump Man.

On some level, you have to feel sorry for Dr. Wily. After years and years of trying to take over the world in more than ten games, his Robot Masters just keep getting destroyed by a meddling blue robot. And then, the next time, he has to design and build eight more. You'd figure that it might be time for him to start reusing old designs, rebuilding Guts Man and Metal Man (and fixing their flaws) rather than sitting at the drawing board for hours before going "Eureka! Chicken Man!"

You'd figure, but that's not the case: Capcom's Japanese page for over at the Mega Man Network [http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/10/boss.html]. We already knew about Sheep Man, but there are some fresh new faces here for Mega Man to take on (in Easy Mode, if you'd like):

[blockquote]
Sheep Man, who uses static electricity stored in his wool to zap people. And he just follows the crowd's opinion, I guess.
Commando Man, who was once tasked with removing land mines and who now uses bombs as an attack. I guess we know what he did with the mines.
Nitro Man, who was a stunt robot and now transforms into a motorcycle. If that's the power Mega Man gets from him, why need Rush?
Blade Man, who was created as a guide robot at a historical castle. Why would you give a guide robot two blades for arms and another blade for a head?
Solar Man, who worked at a solar research facility and creates a miniature sun on top of his head. OK, I'll give them this one - that's kind of cool.
Chill Man, who was apparently an amateur photographer who posted nature pictures to the Internet. And now he uses ice to freeze Mega Man. Okay then.
Strike Man, who despite the name is not a labor official, but a former baseball pitching robot. Talk about practice from hell.
Pump Man, who is a neat freak and uses his water pumping powers to clean graffiti off city streets. His favorite game is probably Mario Sunshine.[/blockquote]

In all seriousness, these aren't the worst Robot Masters we've ever seen, but good lord does Pump Man look stupid. I do kinda like the idea of Commando Man, Solar Man, and Nitro Man, though.

How about you guys? Who wins and who loses in this new bunch?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sheep man must be Welsh /nod

...seriously though...Sheep man?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Sheep Man? If his power is shocking people, why not just rebuild Elec Man? Chill Man? Why not rebuild Ice Man? Blade Man? Why not rebuild Cut Man? I could go on...

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Commando man? I wonder how this will turn out.

Remember when I said I would kill you last? I lied.

Edited Note* No one got the joke.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
John Funk" post="7.168240.4531964 said:
Why would you give a guide robot two blades for arms and another blade for a head?

Because Japan.

That should really be the standard answer to questions such as this. :p

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I dunno, I like the wacky designs. Reminds me of how MM2 had more traditional (if you can call them that) designs and then MM3 had some wacky stuff, like Top Man, Shadow Man, and Gemini Man. Strike Man's stage looks really cool.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Capcom Employee 1: "Okay, this is Cloud Man. He stores electricity in his body and then unleashes it as a devastating electric attack."
Capcom Employee 2: "But we already made a Cloud Man!"
Capcom Employee 1: "That's not a problem. We just need to think of a different name."
Capcom Employee 3: "How about Sheep man?"
Capcom Employee 2: "Why would there ever be a robot sheep?"
Capcom Emploree 1: "It will have to do. Make it happen."

Seriously, that's the only way I can see Sheep Man coming into existence. Though I still can't decide if he's more ridiculous than Pump Man.

Rhade

Jan 2, 2010
I really, really loved the original games up to, and including, the X series and others like RM&F. That said, I was also really attached to a lot of the RMs and their stages/music and the fact that, for a while anyway, no two were almost exactly the same or with the same power.

Many of these, though, seem like retreads of characters done before, just with a synonym for the original name and a somewhat different design. I can't read Japanese but if that green guy with cannon arms, whom I take it is Commando Man, pretty much smacks of being a recoloured Napalm man to me. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I tend to like to see the really new ones, like a motorbike, or baseball man.

We'll see. Honestly I think they should probably retro-ize some of the navis from the Exe series that aren't from an original RM. Bowlman, Laserman, Gateman, Footman (football), and the like might be neat to see in old school RM designs with stages.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
John Funk said:
You'd figure that it might be time for him to start reusing old designs, rebuilding Guts Man and Metal Man (and fixing their flaws) rather than sitting at the drawing board for hours before going "Eureka! Chicken Man!"
Am I the only one who read that and thought of rebuilding Guts Man and Metal Man together into one bot? That might be a different way to take the series. Fuzion bots. Especially if you mix the bots together who were the others weakness. Cut-Guts Man anybody?

Illustro Cado

Jan 8, 2010
Khell_Sennet said:
It's pretty much been pure crap since MegaMan 3... Maybe 4. But it's all rehashes since, and nobody will ever be as cool as Metal Man.
I dunno, the robot designs have never been spectacular. In the first Mega Man everything was purely generic. Ice Man? Fire Man? Seriously? And in MM2 we were graced with the presence of...Wood Man. Really, Metal Man and Quick Man were the only robot masters that had a cool design. Maybe Crash Man, too.

While it's up for debate which game had the lamest robot master, it's always been a mixed bag. For every Shadow Man and Gravity Man you've got a Toad Man and a Plant Man. In a way, lame robot masters are part of the charm. Just think of the mileage my inner adolescent boy will get out of Pump Man.

Although I initially misread that as Pimp Man, and I have to admit that'd be bloody awesome. You walk into his room and there's two robo hoes doting on him, he sees Mega, makes one of them take his jacket, then he snaps his fingers and they teleport away. Yeah, that'd be stylin'.

Illustro Cado

Jan 8, 2010
Khell_Sennet said:
What about Air Man and Quick Man, possibly Flash Man? And knock Woodman all you want, his weapon was useful.
Really? I never thought it was. In fact all the shield weapons are pretty sucky in my opinion, but Wood Man's was the worst because you couldn't move while you had it up. This is ignoring the fact that the Metal Blade trumped everything else.

Read my post-I mentioned Quick Man as being one of the cooler bosses. It was in the quote you used. Flash Man was badly designed, in my opinion. He looks like some creepy old dude (bad fit for the name). He also felt really clunky when he moved around. Air Man was... A giant fan. He's hardly the epitome of creative boss design. Capcom has done worse, and perhaps the design stood out more when the game was released, but now he's just another generic boss sprite.