Quantum Theory: Japan Does Gears of War

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Quantum Theory: Japan Does Gears of War

Tecmo's Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Theory-Playstation-3/dp/B00320J6W8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280785376&sr=1-1], only Japanese and not very good.

It really is a cultural thing, but you can't take two steps in an internet gaming forum without hearing someone complain about how male protagonists in Japanese games tend towards the androgynous end of the masculinity spectrum. "Why don't Japanese games have burly men who look like they've had steroids injected directly into their necks who riddle their opponents' corpses with bullets?"

Well, Tecmo's upcoming third-person action game Quantum Theory looks to dispel the notion that "Japanese games can't have grizzled burly male protagonists," because it certainly does. The buff gunman Syd looks like he's been transplanted straight out of Epic's Gears of War, which kind of makes sense because so does everything else. I'm certainly not the only one who gets a sense of deja vu from this gameplay footage, I can tell you that much.

Quantum Theory differs from other third-person cover-based shooters in that the terrain is technically living so it forms and deforms as you progress through the level - oh, and your partner is not an equally brick-like stanchion of masculinity (sorry, no Marcus-and-Dom bromance here) but a buxom, not-quite-so-armored girl whom Syd can throw at the enemies a la Elika and the Prince in the latest Prince of Persia. I guess that's kind of unique for the genre, in a way.

But yes - interesting idea of living terrain aside, this may be why more Japanese game developers don't ape Western design aesthetics: Because it doesn't turn out looking very good.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5448940/quantum-theory-gameplay-looks-familiar])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
360 users get a God of War rip-off, so we get a Gears of War rip-off.

Or I don't know, is it coming for PS3?

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
Actually it looks better than gears of war in my eyes...

maybe because the trailer proves that you can miss in this game

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wow, it does look like a not-so-good Gears of War...
well...
I just don't know what to say.
Maybe they should stick to making games they know best?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
As I just posted on another forum, this game looks terrible - abysmal graphics, poor gameplay mechanics (look at the character movement throughout, along with the shooting mechanics and the screen tearing at around 2:40) and, based on other trailers and information - a horrible storyline. In short there's nothing new or interesting about this game that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
This looks terrible. It would of probably been better if they just copied gears of war entirely.
At least then they could have had 'some' quality in there...

Certainly not looking like that at the moment...

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Seriously, this is appalling plagiarism. The HUD, the central character, even his voice are exact copies of Gears Of War. At the start of the video I presumed that it was a comparison video showing GoW for starters, until I realised that it was indeed QT and it looks EXACTLY THE SAME.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
I have a feeling that the entire game will be searching for some kind of electronic device that doesn't work.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
I have a feeling that the entire game will be searching for some kind of electronic device that doesn't work.
Japanese games never do that.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Er.. What's with the Gears of War knockoff? It looks exactly like it, but not as good, the enemies kinda explode into nothingness when killed, that slow mo kill cam will get annoying after watching the animation over and over, and where exactly does your sidekick come from? Seems like she just drops straight from the sky or whatever. I don't see this being successful in either market.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Hubilub said:
360 users get a God of War rip-off, so we get a Gears of War rip-off.

Or I don't know, is it coming for PS3?
God of War rip off? it's a good hack and slash so you consider it a rip off?

This on the other hand is completely ripped off...

*Prepares for onslaught of PS3 users