DJ Hero Sequel Coming Later This Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DJ Hero Sequel Coming Later This Year

Despite unimpressive sales, Activision is sticking with the DJ Hero [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-DJ-Hero-Bundle-Turntable/dp/B0028ZNX68/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280783764&sr=1-1] franchise and says it will "get it right" with a sequel that's planned for release later this year.

Far from heralding the rebirth of the music game genre when it was released in October 2009, DJ Hero flopped. The game sold 122,000 copies across all formats and editions in October, a reasonably respectable figure given that it came out at the tail end of the month, but then managed only 211,000 more copies for the whole of November. The game was well-rated by critics but failed to catch fire with consumers, who may have been put off by its high price, weariness with the music genre in general or the fact that air turntabling remains something of a niche behavioral oddity.

Whatever the case, Neversoft [http://www.activision.com], all took time to really hit their stride. "If you're going to make a commitment to doing something original, the odds are that you're not going to get it right on the first chance," he said.

"I think DJ Hero is a really innovative product. I can't wait for you to see [this] year's," he continued. "That's the thing; we're sticking with it. We'll stick with it and get it right. But it's going to be less games, better games. That's our strategy."

I don't know much about the DJ Hero game, but I do know that when it comes to forging successful franchises, Activision rarely makes a misstep. I was more surprised to see the company recommitting to the series than I was to see it tank the first time around but, with that path chosen, I have to think that there's a reasonable chance Activision will find a way to make it work. On a personal level, it doesn't mean much to me either way - neither the music nor the game are my cup of tea - but is a new and improved DJ Hero something you'd be interested in giving a chance?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I can't say I'm stunned. Maybe this will justify a £40 outlay for the controller.

I suspect that if this one doesn't set the world on fire (or, worse, flops completely) then Activision may shoot the developers.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Why waste money? I dont know a singer person who even bought the first one

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Cool, signs of life from Activision! It's hard to justify new types of gaming in the current economic climate, especially if the first attempt failed, but I'm glad to see someone trying.

Hell, it could be to try to get a bit of EA's kudos boost with their new titles over the last year or so, but still, new and innovative games and IPs still win here, so the reasoning behind it doesn't really matter.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
By "get it right", they'd better mean not releasing 2 direct competitors at the same time (GH5 and RB Beatles). In econimics, it's called opportunity cost.

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
I guess I'm in the minority on here that bought and loved the 1st game then. The initial price nearly put me off but it was soon on sale for £60 if you looked hard enough and at that point it was nothing short of a bargain.

It's great for when friends are round - everyone pushing to have a go and it's more addictive than gh/rb in it's score attack system. (Though maybe that's becuase I'm better at DJ Hero).

I was a little worried they weren't going to make a sequel so this is great news....

Although I can't believe I've put myself on the same side as Ol' Bobby there. =/

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
By "get it right", they'd better mean not releasing 2 direct competitors at the same time (GH5 and RB Beatles). In econimics, it's called opportunity cost.
....You mean Band Hero, right?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I read that Game Informer interview with Bobby Kotick and now hate him less.

Still, I didn't buy it because the only music game genre I'm willing to invest in is singing.

That's a transferable skill to reality, as a bonus.

If only Activision would stop release 90 Guitar Hero games every year, I might pick one up. After all, my only real issue with Guitar Hero is the uncomfortable plastic. Or at least the old 360 Guitar Hero 2 controller is REALLY, REALLY uncomfortable.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
Really..? I mean come on. My friend has this game and I played it for a little while.
I did not like it. I think that Activision might be milking the whole fake musice star thing too much.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Oh no... I just don't see the appeal. It might be because I have nothing but contempt and disgust for every song on the list. It might just be because "air D.Jing" seems just weird, but plenty of people do air guitar and air drum, so Guitar Hero always seemed like a logical step to me.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
wow, and i thought they where getting smarter when they announced they will make fewer movie tie in games, but clearly thats not the case, i think they have too many money, stop playing wow and they will lose money and thus be forced to make better and new games.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Maybe this will help get rid of all the extra money Activision has to burn
As much as I wanted to get Dj hero, £100? I'm sorry but that is just too much for a a game and one controller

Also if anyone from Activision is reading this, please go back to the guitar hero 2 controller, it was just so much better in every way