Rumor: ESPN in Talks to Stream Sports on Xbox Live

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumor: ESPN in Talks to Stream Sports on Xbox Live

The New York Times reported that ESPN is currently in talks with Microsoft to stream video of live sporting events to Xbox Live subscribers.

An anonymous source close to the negotiations claimed that the Walt Disney Company, owners of the ESPN network, were working towards a deal with Microsoft. ESPN currently offers a service called ESPN 360 which streams live sporting events to your computer, but the service is only available if your internet service provider has paid ESPN to show the content. The potential deal with Microsoft and Disney could bring a similar streaming service to subscribers of Xbox Live, but it is unclear whether users will need to pay an additional fee. Microsoft refused to comment on the story and have indicated that the Times article was "rumor and speculation."

The deal seems like a no-brainer for Microsoft, who has always tried to expand its videogame console beyond games into movies and social media, as evidenced by pioneering Netflix and Facebook apps on Xbox Live.

"Our goal is, really, how can we get as much content there as possible," said Marc Whitten, general manager of Xbox Live.

Sports viewing is always a hit or miss affair, and it often depends on the whims of your cable or satellite provider whether your team's game will be shown. A live streaming service on Xbox Live would hopefully cut down a lot of that frustration, especially for fans that no longer live near their favorite team.

The thing that excites me the most is if Microsoft and ESPN were to offer some sort of DVR service. The Xbox 360 Elite has a pretty big hard drive and I could see this streaming service allowing you to record games that you might not be able to watch live. If I could watch every game I wanted, whenever I wanted, then I would be a happy man.

Now, if only the Yankees would stop buying the World Series...

Source: Deadspin [http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/business/media/19xbox.html?src=twt&twt=NYTimesAd]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Isn't this like...the most redundant thing ever?

So... You get TV on your xbox... Which has to be connected to your TV... So you plug your xbox to your TV, then turn your TV on, and your Xbox on, to watch TV!

...What?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Caliostro said:
Isn't this like...the most redundant thing ever?

So... You get TV on your xbox... Which has to be connected to your TV... So you plug your xbox to your TV, then turn your TV on, and your Xbox on, to watch TV!

...What?
I dont know what you are on, but the idea behind it is that ESPN games would be streamed over the internet to your Xbox, much like Sky do already im guessing. The DVR idea is something different altogether, much like PLayTV for the PS3, or SKY+, the idea being that one could record content onto your xbox. However, i have heard of no such device being made for the xbox as of yet and that seems like speculation if nothing else.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Goddamnit! Disney! Just go away! But ESPN can stay

OT: Sounds good. My Dad loves sports and I have a XBOX360 so... hope this happens I guess?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I suppose will be good for those intrested in sport. Microsoft sure like beefing up whats available. Not a abad thing at least, offers alot of choice!

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Sci-Fi luver437 said:
Goddamnit! Disney! Just go away! But ESPN can stay
Disney owns ABC, and ABC owns ESPN, so ESPN will continue to suck by not airing any hockey as Disney's tentacles grow longer. They're forever intwined in incestuous cross-promotion and advertisement whoring.

It would be a great thing to do if they release it in time for the 2010 World Cup. If I can view the full slate of games and not have to worry about the time-zone related problems like a job or waking up at 6am; I'd be a happy camper.

The further discussion about making it a DVR and not having to deal with local cable/satellite providers sounds too good to be true, but one can hope. Cool rumors in general; here's hoping there's some truth to them.

Now, if only they'd make Hulu available...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
tk1989 said:
I dont know what you are on, but the idea behind it is that ESPN games would be streamed over the internet to your Xbox, much like Sky do already im guessing. The DVR idea is something different altogether, much like PLayTV for the PS3, or SKY+, the idea being that one could record content onto your xbox. However, i have heard of no such device being made for the xbox as of yet and that seems like speculation if nothing else.
Ok, maybe I'm not following but... The idea is to stream tv shows onto your xbox to watch am I right?

... So, why wouldn't you just watch them on TV? Like... The same TV you're using as a monitor to your xbox? Isn't ESPN a TV station? What gives?

Maybe there's some particularity I'm missing but, what's the catch that makes this worth it?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Caliostro said:
tk1989 said:
Ok, maybe I'm not following but... The idea is to stream tv shows onto your xbox to watch am I right?

... So, why wouldn't you just watch them on TV? Like... The same TV you're using as a monitor to your xbox? Isn't ESPN a TV station? What gives?

Maybe there's some particularity I'm missing but, what's the catch that makes this worth it?
I dont know what it is like in the USA or other countries, but I know in the UK you have to pay for ESPN, and you can only actually receive it through cable/satellite (You might be able to get it through DVB Freeview, but i really dont know).

Do you get ESPN for free on terrestrial in the states? i really dont know

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
tk1989 said:
I dont know what it is like in the USA or other countries, but I know in the UK you have to pay for ESPN, and you can only actually receive it through cable/satellite (You might be able to get it through DVB Freeview, but i really dont know).

Do you get ESPN for free on terrestrial in the states? i really dont know
I'm not from America, so I dunno about the states, but over here ESPN comes with cable. As does internet... So... It's very, VERY unlikely that you have the internet connection to even use Xbox live, and don't have cable to watch ESPN.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Caliostro said:

ESPN is at tons of games but they only have 2 main channels for live games so if they chose not to air the game you want then your out of luck. With espn360 you have access to whatever game they are at. Pretty much every sporting event from a college lvl up.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
ESPN is at tons of games but they only have 2 main channels for live games so if they chose not to air the game you want then your out of luck. With espn360 you have access to whatever game they are at. Pretty much every sporting event from a college lvl up.
Ah, see, that explains it.

Nice then, even though I have very little interest watching sports, this is definitely added value.