Court Documents Show Secret Elder Scrolls MMOG Underway

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Court Documents Show Secret Elder Scrolls MMOG Underway

Transcripts of the courtroom battle between Bethesda and Interplay have revealed that Bethesda is working on a secret "World of Warcraft type" MMOG, but the company is now scrambling to cover it up before anyone finds out too much.

The two Interplay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97415-Interplay-v-Bethesda-Court-Transcript-Revealed] and of course the still-mysterious Project V13. But there's even more meat on that bone: Apparently, buried somewhere in the 218 pages of court transcripts is information about another MMOG, thus far unannounced, currently in development.

According to Mythic Entertainment [http://www.duckandcover.cx/] founder Matt Firor at the helm. The company has reportedly sunk "tens and tens of millions of dollars" into the game and has "close to a hundred people" working on it.

Fallout 3 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/20/secret-world-of-warcraft-type-mmo-in-development-at-bethesda/], the Elder Scrolls remains Bethesda's flagship franchise and given the depth and breadth of the world already established, it would appear ready-made for the massively multiplayer treatment. Furthermore, it's hard to believe that anyone would sink that much time and money into a game without having the ironclad right to do so, yet the dispute over the Fallout 3 license is what brought Bethesda and Interplay before the court in the first place.

Bethesda declined to comment on what ZeniMax Online is up to and is in fact moving to have information regarding the game redacted from the transcripts so that the information won't wind up in the hands of competitors. Duck and Cover claims that for the moment, the unredacted documents are still "publicly available at the Maryland courts," so there's a chance we could find out more in the very near future. We'll keep you posted about anything else that comes up. (And if you happen to live in Maryland, feel free to stop by a courthouse and let us know what you dig up.)

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Pure music to my ears. If it's first person, I think I will be permanently aroused until I die.

EDIT: And probably after.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Gotta keep my ear to the ground about this. IF this is true, then we'll probably see an awesome game come out in about.. 6 years?

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Well, if they change the way levelling works, so im not expected to shoot a billion iron arrows at the face of glass-armored bandit.. maybe it might be good.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
I dunno I think one of the fun points of elder scrolls games is that you can kill pretty much anyone (curse those essential npc's) im not sure that could carry over to an mmo so well. But thats only a minor complaint really so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for any new info.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Quick! Marylanders! to the courts!

I dont know though. i only have time in my life for one MMO and thats gonna be KotOR. I would consider it if it was on the 360 though.

But I wont be getting it for my computer

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Well, it's TESV for the fans. Maybe.

But if it's gonna be WoW like, I think I'll just go play WoW instead. When I get the money....

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
If they keep the formula similar to their previous games then yeah, I can see this working out. It'll be one pretty big world I imagine, maybe the biggest made in an MMO? That would be cool. Might not be able to get as big as EVE though.

I sure as hell am not going to play it though. The Elder Scrolls is pretty great fantasy wise but I don't like fantasy MMOs. Running around with swords and magic, it feels like more of a single player kind of thing. In Dragon Age I can pretend that I'm swept up in this world, on an online game I'm on a server with another few thousand people running around and doing similar things to me. I will be playing SW:TOR though and that borders close to fantasy. Still, it is Star Wars, you can share that shit around.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
If it's actually gonna be like WoW, then no, I'm not gonna play it. I want TES V more than anything, not some MMO. It'll need some serious awesomeness for me to even consider giving it a chance.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What the fu-

Kill me now. Choke me with the barrel of the gun first, I don't care. Just blow my brains out.

First KotOR, now this. I will actually murder the people coming up with these things.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Oh. My. LORD!

I can see it now, travelling Vvardenfell killing Kagoutis, Cliffracers and Scamps! In an MMO!

Hallelujah!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
If an MMO means I can waltz around the whole of Tamriel, then awesome - for the time it takes me to sight see at least.

Jan 23, 2009
NOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO!!!

Unless it's epic... but... MMOs are just different, its elder scrolls co-op that would rock... not this... not this...