PS3 hits top form in four to six years, Sony says

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
PS3 hits top form in four to six years, Sony says

It's going to be a matter of at least four years before the Playstation 3 is performing optimally, said Sony Computer Entertainment President Kaz Hirai in an interview in Official Playstation Magazine.

"The power that we've packed into PS3 will really manifest itself in software titles that come up four, five or six years down the line," Hirai said in the interview.

Hirai also commented on reports from third-party developers that the PS3 tools are too difficult to program with.

"If they came back and told me, 'PS3? We can do this in a heartbeat,' that would be worrying because what it is telling me is that we're not pushing the envelope from a technology standpoint," Hirai noted, pointing out that this was a familiar scenario for Sony. "If you look back at the commentary we received when we launched PS2, there was a lot of talk to the effect that 'It's very difficult to program for' and 'It's easier on a Dreamcast'. It's happened before."

On the heels of Hirai's interview came a statement from Guerrilla Games lead developer, Herman Hulst, who adamantly defended the PS3's controversial Blu-ray device in an interview with CVG during a playthrough of Guerrilla's forthcoming PS3 title, Killzone 2.

"The level you've just seen is 2GB. We really need Blu-ray to make the game. I don't know how you could fit it on Xbox 360 without taking some shortcuts," Hulst said, adding that, "Blu-ray isn't important for watching movies; we need it for making games."

dazirius

Oct 10, 2007
To take a moment's psyche from my favourite game reviewer:
"You need 2Gb per level if your a foaming pile of cock."
Sorry, just came to me. I think I have yahtzee disease.
Who in the hells of all that's satanic needs 2Gb per level.
Perhaps someone who's never heard of compression or thinks that textures stored in a BMP format are "cool".
Nuff said.
Grrrrrrrr.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Everytime I think Sony can't dig the hole any deeper, here comes more news that least four years before the PS3 is "tapped". Seriously, the Dreamcast at least had a strong launch before it's life ended before three years were up. Is Sony just going to keep this thing dangling out there and let their well of cash just continue to soak the blow?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
dazirius said:
To take a moment's psyche from my favourite game reviewer:
"You need 2Gb per level if your a foaming pile of cock."
Sorry, just came to me. I think I have yahtzee disease.
Who in the hells of all that's satanic needs 2Gb per level.
Perhaps someone who's never heard of compression or thinks that textures stored in a BMP format are "cool".
Nuff said.
Grrrrrrrr.
That is because each game is now loading with a full HD video playing at the same time, and all textures have such a high resolution that even with a microscope, you couldn't spot the pixel.
And I'm not counting the ads in levels: now, there are screens. No posters anymore. These screens constantly play looped HD ads, each one weighting near 0.8 Gb. They're also interactive. That's game in the game.
Of course, the environment can be destroyed, safe the ad screens.
If you destroy the building which the screen was clutched to, the screen will, in the best case, fall on the ground, and since both sides play the video, the ads will always be visible.
In the worst case, the screen still floats in midair, while the building is nothing more than smoking debris.

Now, dissing aside, it's obvious that the PS3 is nothing more than a long term console.
The question is: Is it necessary, and rewarding on the long term, to have its core being hard to program for?

... when globally other machines, like the 360 for example, are not that behind in terms of power, are apparently simpler to code for, and will probably be followed by a more powerful sister console in the years to come, at a time when the PS3 will be in its middle ages...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Sssso, if I understand this correctly, the PS3 will finally reach peak performance about the time that Microsoft releases the successor to the XBox360.

*blink*

*blink*

gg Sony. gg.

(Dammit, I want this to be a truly open race among the three parties. Competition breeds better products. Sony, stop gimping yourself!)

-- Steve