Korean Court Deems Virtual Currency Real

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Korean Court Deems Virtual Currency Real

Buying and selling MMOG currency just became a whole lot more legal in Korea.

Earlier this month, Korea's Supreme Court acquitted two defendants who were on the hot seat for buying and selling virtual currency and items with actual money in the MMORPG Lineage. The court effectively ruled that virtual currency is the same as real world currency, meaning it can be exchanged as such legally, and is the first ruling of its kind in Korea.

Defendants Mr. Lee and Mr. Kim allegedly purchased 234 million won (about $200,000) of Lineage "Adena," and resold it to hundreds of the game's players for a profit of 20 million won ($20,000). The key factor in the case was that virtual currency in Lineage was determined to be obtained by skill, time, and effort, as if it were payment for work, rather than luck. The same rule would not apply to online gambling.

It's expected that virtual currency and item exchanges will spread following this ruling, if not completely new business models. The government may collect a tax on all transactions now that the trade is legalized.

Korea is just the sort of place where something like this would happen, with online videogame popularity through the roof in the country. I would be interested to see what happens in a case like this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97316-Aion-Bug-Awards-Players-Trillions-in-Currency], where trillions in virtual currency was accidentally awarded to certain Aion players. Would these players go to jail if they were to sell it, or even trade it in-game? What would the consequences be if a server has to be rolled back, causing players to lose "real" money that they had earned? It seems like this ruling could introduce a whole new host of problems.

(Via:Massively [http://www.massively.com/2010/01/13/korea-rules-that-virtual-currencies-can-be-exchanged-for-real-mo/])

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
thats kinda creepy

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
In this case, monopoly money is actually worth cash. It's not like this wasn't the case before, with gold farmers living off their subscription, but legalising it opens a whole new set of doors. Government tax on the loot you gathered from slaying monsters in a virtual world? That's seriously freaky.

Aren't the guys from Lineage supposed to put something in their EULA that prevents this from happening? "You are not allowed to trade in-game currency or items for real world money" is usually one of the top five rules in an MMO game.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
My career is set, I'm going to move to Korea and make a fortune in the gold farming business!

Honestly, now that's a bit silly, this has made gold farming a more viable career option given that people be surprisingly large amounts of money for this stuff.

Wish I could earn money by gold farming.....and it being legal.

Nov 5, 2007
Wow, that must be some kind of an economist nightmare.
The ramifications of such a ruling are pretty crazy. What happens if someone from outside of Korea buys a certain amount of fake money. Do they end up paying for something that has no value outside Korea and the virtual world? Does it even have a value outside of Korean servers?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hardly something new. Virtual currency has been 'worth' something for years. That's how goldsellers make money.

Interesting that they've actually ruled on it though.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Uh Oh... This can only end badly. If all online currency is legal then the shit is going to fly legally. Who sets the value? It can be so easilly messed with. People are worried about our fiat currency; Ron Paul must be warned, or he'll have a heart attack.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Didn't surprise me actually, given how seriously they can take gaming there...sure going to see some intresting judgements in the future though

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
That will just encourage them to quit there jobs to become full time gold farmers...

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Well the article doesn't reference the ruling, just said it essentially made online currency real. I assume in-game currency has nowhere near all the regulation that real world money has so you can't expect to have it happen like that overnight.

It is interesting to note that this might actually make botting and such illegal.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
ItsAPaul said:
It is interesting to note that this might actually make botting and such illegal.
It always was, the government just never gave a damn.
No, its not. Going against a game's ToS isn't illegal at all. Selling something that does, however, is another story.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Would this apply to an Xbox game as well?

If so this would mean all that left over cash that constantly piles up in my Fable 2 gamesave can be used for my trip to Seoul this summer!