PS3 DVR Kit Includes Trophy Support

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PS3 DVR Kit Includes Trophy Support

The day has come when you can finally be artificially awarded for sitting on your ass and watching TV.

Trophies and achievements awarded for performing certain tasks in games are supremely popular, causing some gamers to play titles they never would otherwise just to add another notch to their achievement score or trophy case. Now, Sony wants to bring that same level of achievement whoredom to watching television, as it's been announced that the company's PS3 DVR kit "torne" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97468-Sony-Announces-torne-TV-Tuner-DVR-for-PS3] (no, I don't know why it's lowercase) will come with trophy support.

Only one trophy has been revealed thus far: "Master of Final Episodes." This trophy would likely be given to someone who watches or records a lot of final episodes, if my sense of logic is still working properly. I can see it now; people watching the finale of Real Chance at Love just to get a trophy. This could end up being even worse than playing TMNT for an easy 1000 achievement points.

There has been no confirmation of any other trophies yet, but in an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu, SCEI chief hardware planner Kiyoto Shibuya said "Master of Final Episodes" was just one example, hinting there could be more. It would be unlikely for Sony to only include one trophy, as PS3 games themselves have many of varying challenge levels. I would predict others such as "Master of First Episodes," "1000 Shows Recorded," and "Crap Lover" for recording too much Jersey Shore. I would be a "Crap Lover" myself, so please don't take offense. Torne's trophies have the potential to be awards you don't actually want anyone to see.

A few other more specific details were released on torne, including the fact that an hour long show can take up to 6 GB of hard drive space (presumably HD content). Luckily, recording to an external hard drive is possible. Torne application development head Kensaku Ishizuka also humorously revealed that "while the kids are watching television, their father can secretly view recorded programs on the PSP," due to included PSP functionality. I like the idea of watching shows on the PSP and television at the same time, but what kind of perverted stuff does this guy have in mind?

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/20/torne_trophy_support/]

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
This news saddens me. Neat gadget (hell, I'd buy it), but Trophy support just seems kind of... well I dunno what, but it makes me feel dirty.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, I dislike this idea, as trophy whores can now get their trophies by actually not being there!

Yay for easy trophies!

I hate this.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, so now we get rewarded for doing nothing? YAY!

Granted it could be kind of a buzzkill if your watching a particular sad moment on a show and all of a sudded a trophy pops up...

And why in God's name would people record, hell, even watch Jersey Shore?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Trophies for wacthing TV. Where does it end? The normal folk will just watch and get by accident and the trpohy/achievement whore (like myself) would leave to TV on in order to get them.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Since I could not find a PS3 version of it:

[http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/duffman135/random/?action=view¤t=achievement.gif]

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Whoa, trophies awarded for something besides a game? That's just weird. Wonder what other none-game applications Sony has in mind for trophies.

[small]Push it to the Limit
Drive 60 km/h through a playground zone.

Tie the NOT
Get a divorce within one month of getting married.[/small]

Well, it would make browsing people's trophies a lot more interesting, that's for sure.

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
Brings back memories of a trophy for the Mega Drive collection -

Silver - 'No Life'

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Jhereg42 said:

[http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/duffman135/random/?action=view¤t=achievement.gif]
Seriously...lol

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I love achievements, I love my DVR, and I think this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

I, by the way, would easily earn the "Watches Too Damn Much Reality TV" and "Is Obsessed With Law & Order" trophies.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I hope they release trophy support for PlayTV. As for recording sizes that sounds about right as PlayTV is about 3Gb for a movie. Which pretty much makes putting it on a PSP pointless.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Achievement Unlocked - Basement Dweller
Have recorded over 1,000 hours of adult entertainment.

Achievement Unlocked - Single
Break up with your significant other after achieving the "Basement Dweller" trophy.

Achievement Unlocked - Peace of the Grave
Kill 3 people after achieving the "Single" trophy.

OT: It's just a gimmick. Really. We already have DVR. Do we need this? Do we need another format war, Sony? DO WE?

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
here is an achievement i would want to see if they are serious tv watchers like me ... shut the duck up award ... for those who can't keep quiet when tv is on ... my avatar would be the trophy

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Kwil said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Achievement Unlocked - Basement Dweller
Have recorded over 1,000 hours of adult entertainment.
And don't forget the second level of that achievement -- Master Baiter.
Nah, too easy. We don't do plot-related trophies here.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Jhereg42 said:

Helped you out there:

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Wow, I thought it was easy to get xbox achievements. Beat King Kong the game=1000G, beat a sports game 1000G.

Record a show: YOU WIN!!