3D-Printed Prosthetics Help Dog Run For the First Time

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
3D-Printed Prosthetics Help Dog Run For the First Time

Derby the dog was recently given the tools to overcome a physical deformity thanks to a custom made set of 3D-printed front legs.

To call <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/3d%20printing?os=3d+printing>3D printing one of recent history's greatest inventions would be an understatement. Ever since its emergence, people have been seemingly popping out of the woodwork with new ideas on how to use it for the betterment of human life. Perhaps most impressively, a number of individuals and companies have taken up the task of using 3D printers to produce <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133729-Carpenter-Replaces-Lost-Fingers-With-3D-Printed-Robohand>better prosthetics to improve the lives of individuals suffering from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132440-Paralyzed-Skier-Walks-Again-With-Help-From-3D-Printed-Exoskeleton>physical disabilities. One recent 3D printing project however, opted to help creatures of a more canine persuasion.

The canine in question is named Derby. Born with a pair of deformed front legs, Derby suffered from limited mobility that prevented him from walking and running in a normal and natural way. While his owners were able to help him somewhat with a wheeled cart, its limitations left much to be desired. Learning about Derby's troubles, Tara Anderson, a director of project management at 3D Systems, decided to assist the poor pooch.

A team at the company fashioned a custom set of prosthetic front legs based on Derby's specific deformation. After wrapping up the design process, they used a 3D printer to produce real world versions of the prosthetics that they then presented to Derby's owners. They wasted no time testing them out and were amazed when Derby almost immediately started running. He now apparently runs anywhere from two to three miles a day.

These results are exactly what Anderson had been hoping for. "This is what 3D printing is all about," she said. "To be able to help anybody, -dog, person, whoever- to have a better life... there's no better thing to be involved in." We're inclined to agree. As nifty as things like 3D-printed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131445-Hero-Forge-Kickstarter-Surpasses-Goal>RPG minis or custom <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132996-Faire-Play-Kickstarter-Hopes-to-Turn-Barbie-into-Brienne-of-Tarth>Barbie armor are, it's people using this expanding technology to do real world good that's perhaps the most exciting.

Source: Daily Dot

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Oh my god this is fricckin adorable!! I cried sad tears in the beginning and then happy tears at the end!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not the first time I seen an animal getting articical limbs but none the less it's always good seeing these good people helped changed those animal lives for the better.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oh God, that dog looked so happy running!

That was so Goddamn adorable. I know that 3D printing has done some really awesome things, and has done a lot of good for people and animals that couldn't do a lot of things. But it was really neat seeing that dog run around and do normal doggy things. :D

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
You gotta have a heart of concrete to not burst out smiling at this story. Thanks for the good news in an otherwise shitty week, Escapist :)

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
This is the most heartwarming adorable thing I've seen in a long time. Thank you Escapist, for restoring at least a little bit of my hope in mankind and the Internet.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
More stories like this, please. I love nice warm'n'fuzzy feel-good stories like this. I'm not saying we should have Adorable Pet Stories Wednesdays but...well actually, yeah, let's just start having Adorable Pet Stories Wednesdays. :3

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Proper use of a 3D printing system demonstrated. All the adorables and heartwarmings, right there.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Personally, i think the potential applications of 3D printing are vast and intriguing. There have already been all sorts of crazy things done with it already, and it will be interesting to see what it will bring us in the future.

Technological aspects aside, this is one of those awwwwwwwww stories. Seeing how happy he was running around at the end.
His posture looks like it would probably not be too great though, and even with my non-existent knowledge of this type of thing, having him run around in that manner looks like it may cause future problems. But still, he seems much better off and much happier this way.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Awwwwww...

That said, I wonder if Derby understands all that was done for him, or if one day he got up and was like "Hey, this stuff they stuck on me makes it possible for me to run! What a happy accident!" Either way, good to know you can 3D print more than knives, guns, and Minecraft replicas.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Awwwwww...

That said, I wonder if Derby understands all that was done for him, or if one day he got up and was like "Hey, this stuff they stuck on me makes it possible for me to run! What a happy accident!" Either way, good to know you can 3D print more than knives, guns, and Minecraft replicas.
If you've ever owned a 'normal' dog and a 'rescue' dog, you'd know the difference. They know.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Aww what a beautiful story. That's rare to see a Finnish Lapphund with a birth defect though. Really healthy breed normally.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
And that is how you do it, ladies and gentlemen - employing fascinating new technology for purposes besides extermination.
Thanks, Escapist! I am now going to leave for work with a great big smile on my face. :)

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Now all they need to do is make a 3d printed prosthetic limb for him that's also a gun.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This....this is just. No captcha, its not too salty. Unless you count the happy tears.

Technology of the improvement of the world in general, as it should be. More like this! I want to feel like this all christmas please!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
His posture looks like it would probably not be too great though, and even with my non-existent knowledge of this type of thing, having him run around in that manner looks like it may cause future problems. But still, he seems much better off and much happier this way.
Well the clip does mention that they were starting with attachments that were lower to the ground than normal for a dog, so that the adjustment wouldn't be so severe for him. The impression I got was this was the first test set, and if they do well (which they seem to), they were going to make some bigger ones to give him more of a natural gait/height when he's running. Which should alleviate some of the problems you are talking about.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
That face at the end. That was a dog in the extreme of bliss, right there. My heart melted.