3DS Breaks Monthly Sales Record in Japan

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
3DS Breaks Monthly Sales Record in Japan

After a controversial price-cut last year, the 3DS has been experiencing some seriously impressive growth.

Between November 28th and December 25th, Nintendo's latest handheld sold an impressive 1,492,931 units in Japan, earning it the record for highest recorded monthly console sales. The figure was determined by Tokyo-based Enterbrain, which has been tracking hardware sales since 1997.

The 3DS has held strong at the top of Enderbrain's reports for the past seven months (boosting significantly since it's massive early-life price-chop), but it wasn't until the month leading into Christmas that sales rose high enough to earn top-honors. Sony's PlayStation Vita took second place during the same time period, moving 402,794 units after it's December 17th release.

Though the news may come as a small surprise to some, games generally sell the console, not the other way around. After the release of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, 3DS sales have been more than healthy. Perhaps it's finally time to call Nintendo's "experiment" (the price-cut, the addition of the second thumbstick, etc.) a success.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/comzkv/3ds_sales_record/]

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
So much for the "3DS failing" and the PSVita succeeding in comparison like so many claimed.

Really, both the 3DS and PSVita have a bright future in my opinion.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Well cutting the price by a third will do that. The console still needs games to play on it though, and no, not the remakes they have on the 3DS. I refuse to be sold LoZ when they've sold it to people 4 times already.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I think it also helps that Japan has a few more colors and, bundle packs available.

Also, they have Ice White. I would really like that color but I chose blue since hey, Ambassadorship was included. Of course now that I can transfer over my 3DS data into a new 3DS I guess I could also switch up to this one (assuming it's still available here in the US):

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I think it also helps that Japan has a few more colors and, bundle packs available.

Also, they have Ice White. I would really like that color but I chose blue since hey, Ambassadorship was included. Of course now that I can transfer over my 3DS data into a new 3DS I guess I could also switch up to this one (assuming it's still available here in the US):
The entire Mecha Fan Club group would gladly kill any number of targets to get a North American version of that Char Aznable 3DS.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I'll get one as soon as the kh dream drop comes out especially if it has a bundle

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Triple threat of SM3DL, MK7, MH3G will do that.

Other news that wasn't reported in the article. December was when 3DS passed 4 million Japanese LTD sales putting at higher the GC total and roughly half the PS3 total. This beat Nintendo's internal estimates by 2 months.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Clearly this is a sign that Nintendo is in the middle of a downward spiral towards failure and are doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Seriously, I bet there's at least 3 different publications trying to spin the story that way...

As for me, I'll be eagerly awaiting Luigi's Mansion 2 and the new Paper Mario game. Now all they need is a new Advance Wars game (hint hint).

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I wonder if Monster Hunter Tri G had anything to do with those numbers.

It probably did, a franchise that can move toilet paper cosies is more than capable than shifting a few hundred thousand 3DS's at a reduced price.