3DS Piracy Targeted by Two-Prong Firmware Attack

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
3DS Piracy Targeted by Two-Prong Firmware Attack

Pirates are resourceful creatures, but they're going to have to have their wits about them when it comes to the 3DS.

If you want to pirate games, then software updates can really spoil your day, but dodging DS [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Crimson-Black/dp/B000VXJEW6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1285935028&sr=8-12] software updates is ridiculously easy, as they have to be manually downloaded and installed. Avoiding updates might a touch harder on the 3DS however, as the handheld might download them without asking you, or install them from a new game.

Nintendo has packed the 3DS full of things it can do without you having to press a button. The SpotPass and StreetPass functions let the 3DS grab a load of data while it's in sleep mode by looking for other 3DS owners or open Wi-Fi hotspots it can use. Nintendo is looking into using this functionality to make the updates automatic, rather than use the aforementioned, easily dodged, manual method which Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata said that DS owners didn't really do very often.

If you've got your heart absolutely set on piracy, then you also need to avoid boxed games, as the increased storage capacity on 3DS cartridges means that Nintendo can include firmware updates on them. Although, if you do have your heart set on piracy, avoiding boxed games is kind of the point.

Iwata said that preventing piracy would be a secondary goal of the updates, and that the main aim would be to bring new functionality to the 3DS. Given the precedent set by recent DS updates that seem to do very little except block certain piracy-enabling flash cards from working, it's hard not to be a little skeptical of that statement, but with the 3DS said to be a tougher nut for pirates to crack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102000-THQ-Impressed-by-3DS-Anti-Piracy-Tech], it might be truer than it seems.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_firmware_updates/]

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Interesting.

I'm completely on Nintendo's side here, as pirates are assholes, but I'm curious about how effective this will actually be... and whether or not involuntary updates will end up being a problem for legitimate users.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
how much is this thing going to be in £ sterling? i want this thing, but i get paid pennies
with the molded analog stick and everything, it looks like a 100% better version of the PSP.

Aug 25, 2009
I know I don't have the technical know-how to really make use of this information, but given the Escapist's anti-piracy policy, laying out things the pirates need to be aware of and careful for sometimes makes me wonder who's on which side.

I hate pirates and pirating anyway, legitimately bought games with your own money that you earned, that's a satisfying way of gaming. Or presents etc.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
(New technology) is impossible to pirate because of (new method).

(New technology) was zero day cracked and (new method) screws over legitimate copies.

I'm really tired of this story everyone. Really really tired. I don't pirate but I'm going to wait until after nintendo fixes the automatic patch that bricks their new systems before I buy a 3DS.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
One problem with this: You know when you're playing PS3 and you have to do an update, it gives you that user agreement? You're supposed to agree to the user agreement for each system update as each new system update is an ammendment to the priginal user agreement.

I suppose they coudl simply say you don't need one, but they should not be allowed to download ANY software without my consent. It just sounds wrong.

I'm all against piracy, but... still sounds wrong

Rawle Lucas

Aug 19, 2010
I'd say this is a good thing. This way the game industry stays alive just a little while longer.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Should really have kept this feature a secret. When ppl bring back their 3DS saying it doesnt play their games, and the service rep pops in a genuine game and it works, them pirates won't have a leg to stand on hehehe

BeholdMyGlory

Mar 8, 2010
I'm sorry, but does no one realise that this actually prevents homebrew games as well? Perfectly legal (at least as far as copyright and such goes; I don't know what the 3DS license says about it), often open source developers are hindered just as much as pirates by this. These are people that want to develop games and applications for consoles in their spare time and release to the public for free. So no, this is not a good thing.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Why isn't the choice of updating my software up to me instead of Nintendo? You're all so high on your horses about piracy that you forgot we're steadily losing control of the devices we buy.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
One problem with this: You know when you're playing PS3 and you have to do an update, it gives you that user agreement? You're supposed to agree to the user agreement for each system update as each new system update is an ammendment to the priginal user agreement.

I suppose they coudl simply say you don't need one, but they should not be allowed to download ANY software without my consent. It just sounds wrong.

the only problem is that the PS3 may as well not have that screen. The users agreement is always the same one so re-'signing' it is pointless and what happens if you don't accept? Hey, useless console! can't use it for new games even if the patch only changed xmb animation or the name of a menu choice. You can't use it online, can't even log onto your account or the shop.

If the update is mandatory anyway then they may as well push it down on you rather than pretend you have a genuine choice and pretend you read and signed the none legally binding document.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It was pretty much said with PS3, but, I am sure they will find a way, they always do

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Unrulyhandbag said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

the only problem is that the PS3 may as well not have that screen. The users agreement is always the same one so re-'signing' it is pointless and what happens if you don't accept? Hey, useless console! can't use it for new games even if the patch only changed xmb animation or the name of a menu choice. You can't use it online, can't even log onto your account or the shop.

If the update is mandatory anyway then they may as well push it down on you rather than pretend you have a genuine choice and pretend you read and signed the none legally binding document.
What does the screen have to do with anything? Whether you're updating the 3D software or the PS3, there's no difference in it. But do you really want Nintedo being able to download ANYTHING they want to in the form of system updates? I'm not going to be a conspiracy theorist, and I'm not going to act paranoid, but what if Nintendo tosses in a little update that sends them information once a week on your game playing habits? Besides, if you check the PS3 or any of these other consoles, the update never tells you WHAT you're updating by selecting yes.

It's still a grey area for me.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Why are they telling everybody all of this? It would be far funnier to have a pirate crack the system, and then buy the occasional hard copy of a game and *bloop*, bricked Nintendo DS. I'll never get to laugh at a situation like that because Nintendo already leaked the goods. Nintendo, seriously, why warn the people trying to screw you over?

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Unrulyhandbag said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
One problem with this: You know when you're playing PS3 and you have to do an update, it gives you that user agreement?
talking about aforementioned user agreement
What does the screen have to do with anything? Whether you're updating the 3D software or the PS3, there's no difference in it. But do you really want Nintedo being able to download ANYTHING they want to in the form of system updates? I'm not going to be a conspiracy theorist, and I'm not going to act paranoid, but what if Nintendo tosses in a little update that sends them information once a week on your game playing habits? Besides, if you check the PS3 or any of these other consoles, the update never tells you WHAT you're updating by selecting yes.

It's still a grey area for me.
The system can only be used for playing games not personal or work related documentation. It, in all likelihood, carries no means of identifying the user or location aside from a username entry and possibly IP which is easy to make anonymous, especially as it's hardly relevant to nintendos needs.
So it has next to zero potential for privacy concerns and gathering information on related usage is fair and indeed carries out by companies like apple.

The only dodgy part would be if they kept your IP in relation to gathered stats and SOLD them to other parties, which in the EU at least is illegal anyway.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
BeholdMyGlory said:
I'm sorry, but does no one realise that this actually prevents homebrew games as well? Perfectly legal (at least as far as copyright and such goes; I don't know what the 3DS license says about it), often open source developers are hindered just as much as pirates by this. These are people that want to develop games and applications for consoles in their spare time and release to the public for free. So no, this is not a good thing.
If they want to develop applications for the 3DS then they should get a dev-kit from nintendo. I'm fairly sure they have a procedure in place for letting people create games for their consoles. Pretty sure letting people make games to give away for free isn't really nintendos M.O. Just because you throw the term 'Open Source' in there doesn't mean its good/desired.

-----

On topic: I would genuinely be suprised if they find a way to let this thing play pirated games without physically disabling/removing the wifi antenna. Seems with the passive wifi thing it has going is gonna be a ***** for them to get around otherwise.

iceykitsune

Aug 10, 2010
Danzaivar said:
BeholdMyGlory said:
If they want to develop applications for the 3DS then they should get a dev-kit from nintendo. I'm fairly sure they have a procedure in place for letting people create games for their consoles. Pretty sure letting people make games to give away for free isn't really nintendos M.O. Just because you throw the term 'Open Source' in there doesn't mean its good/desired.

-----

On topic: I would genuinely be suprised if they find a way to let this thing play pirated games without physically disabling/removing the wifi antenna. Seems with the passive wifi thing it has going is gonna be a ***** for them to get around otherwise.
Try getting a dev kit when you don't have an "office" :(

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
What I'd like to know is if the 3DS will block all R4 flash carts on day one. If they can stop that, then that's a significant portion of piracy taken care of.