3DS Sells 4.5 Million Units In US, Eclipsing DS

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
3DS Sells 4.5 Million Units In US, Eclipsing DS

Despite a shaky start, Nintendo's latest handheld has done very well for itself.

How well? According to a Nintendo press release celebrating the machine's upcoming first birthday, the company has sold 4.5 million 3DS units in America so far, a pretty impressive number given that the original DS had only moved 2.3 million units at the same point in its lifespan.

That figure makes for a nice bullet point, but this official email is really more about trumpeting the overall success of the device. Along with a simple numerical explanation for the 3DS' success -- whereas the DS had 58 games available after its first year, the 3DS has "100+" (parentheses added because there's no telling what Nintendo considers a "game" on a handheld that can play Netflix movies and send rudimentary picture messages) -- the company also offers a not terribly brief rundown of the 3DS' history to date:

March 27, 2011: Nintendo 3DS ushers in a new era of gaming with glasses-free 3D. Launch-day sales are the strongest in Nintendo's history.

June 2011: The Nintendo eShop launches, letting users preview, try and buy new and classic games, download applications and watch 3D movie trailers.

June 2011: Link makes his first appearance in 3D with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which is still the best-reviewed game for Nintendo 3DS.

Summer 2011: Nintendo 3DS adds two video services:
Netflix unlimited streaming members can instantly watch thousands of TV episodes and movies.
Nintendo Video automatically delivers hand-picked 3D content from leading sites and artists.

October 2011: After only eight months, Nintendo 3DS surpasses first-year sales of Nintendo DS, the best-selling video game system in history.

Fall 2011: Mario jumps into 3D with two new games, each becoming the fastest-selling titles in their franchises' history:
Nov. 13, 2011: Super Mario 3D Land - 1.75 million copies sold to date
Dec. 4, 2011: Mario Kart 7 - 1.45 million copies sold to date

December 2011: Users can now record up to 10 minutes of 3D video and stop-motion animation.

December 2011: Nintendo 3DS crosses 4 million units sold, passing the record pace set by the Wii.

Feb. 22, 2012: Dillon's Rolling Western launches for the Nintendo eShop, joining hot titles Pushmo and Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!

March 23, 2012: Nintendo 3DS closes its first year with the launch of Kid Icarus: Uprising, the first original entrant in the series in more than 20 years.

So, y'know, yay for Nintendo. The company isn't in any danger of collapsing and the 3DS won't be going the way of the Wonderswan any time soon.

And thus concludes my contractually mandated regurgitation of subtly massaged corporate talking points. You may now resume your inherent wariness of men in dark suits.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
While 4.5 million unites IS impressive as hell, the real question is whether or not Nintendo is taking a huge a hit now as it was when it first launched.

Still, I enjoy my 3DS, specially since I picked up Street Fighter on it and can't wait for a lot of the other releases (Kid Icarus, Super Paper Mario.)

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Qitz said:
While 4.5 million unites IS impressive as hell, the real question is whether or not Nintendo is taking a huge a hit now as it was when it first launched.

Still, I enjoy my 3DS, specially since I picked up Street Fighter on it and can't wait for a lot of the other releases (Kid Icarus, Super Paper Mario.)
Well geez if you sell only 100k less than twice as much as your predecessor in the same amount of time, I'd say you're probably making money at that point.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well color me impressed, now, will they keep bringing out the games, and especially the quirky ones that the DS had?

I like my DS better than my 3DS though, not to bash the latter, but maybe that will change over time.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
BrunDeign said:
Well geez if you sell only 100k less than twice as much as your predecessor in the same amount of time, I'd say you're probably making money at that point.
You'd think so, but don't forget, when it first came out it was $250 and now it's be dropped to $170 so depending on production costs it still can be costing them money even with a massive selling number.

Most consoles are sold at a loss for a while anyways though, since if they tried to see them for a profit they'd lose right away.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
So tldr [insert "it prints money" meme here]

On a personal note I have yet to get one but I do plan on it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Jeremy Meadows said:
*facepalm* This is why I hate humanity.
Really? Because some people like a different console than you do? For all the possible reasons in the world, that's why you hate your own species?

OT: Glad to hear it, now if only Nintendo get on and make a few more good 3DS games for me to play on it, my MarioKart 7 is feeling lonely!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
That's good to hear. Now all they need to do is improve the eShop interface. There's some really good stuff there (Dillion's Rolling Western is a ton of fun, as was Sakura Samurai.), but it's kinda annoying to navigate. Still, glad to see its working out (please let Kid Icarus be good...)

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Qitz said:
BrunDeign said:
You'd think so, but don't forget, when it first came out it was $250 and now it's be dropped to $170 so depending on production costs it still can be costing them money even with a massive selling number.

Most consoles are sold at a loss for a while anyways though, since if they tried to see them for a profit they'd lose right away.
Actually if I remember correctly Nintendo has, in recent years at least, always sold their consoles at a gain (if that's how you word it), making money with each console sold instead of losing it. But such a large price cut probably meant that it is now being sold at a loss, but after selling so many it shouldn't really matter.

NvrPhazed

Dec 8, 2010
BrunDeign said:
Qitz said:
BrunDeign said:

Actually if I remember correctly Nintendo has, in recent years at least, always sold their consoles at a gain (if that's how you word it), making money with each console sold instead of losing it. But such a large price cut probably meant that it is now being sold at a loss, but after selling so many it shouldn't really matter.
Actually I read somewhere that the 3ds parts all cost somewhere between $100-$125 even with labor per 3ds I believe they are still selling at profit.

*edit* I haz proof now - http://www.itproportal.com/2011/03/29/nintendo-3ds-manufacturing-cost-over-100-per-unit/

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Right, good for you Nintendo..

Does this mean you're going to release games on it I actually want?
Please?

[sub]...please?[/sub]

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Kid Icarus annoys me so. I was excited for it when they showed the trailer, then a year passed and I was like: 'when the hell is this thing coming out!?"

At least it hasn't pulled a Duke Nukem.

Well, nice to see the 3DS managed to survive a year, only getting stronger, despite people saying it was another Virtual Boy.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Looks like all those N64 ports are finally paying off.

Seriously though, good for them. Marketing a new system with a gimmick that can be turned off was perhaps the wisest move on their part. Unfortunately, Nintendo is still bottom rung in my personal ranking between the Big Three.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Well color me impressed, now, will they keep bringing out the games, and especially the quirky ones that the DS had?

I like my DS better than my 3DS though, not to bash the latter, but maybe that will change over time.
Go for dillon's rolling western.
It's screaming sonic rip-off but the controls with the touch screen and the whole design is just beautiful and fun (plus, it's a fun tower defense game... didn't have that for a long time D: )

So yeah, 3DSes are selling. Who'da thunk of it?
The vita will go the same way. Slow start but it'll establish itself. Please don't schedule the autopsy before the victim is actually dead. D:<

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
TJC said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Go for dillon's rolling western.
It's screaming sonic rip-off but the controls with the touch screen and the whole design is just beautiful and fun (plus, it's a fun tower defense game... didn't have that for a long time D: )

So yeah, 3DSes are selling. Who'da thunk of it?
The vita will go the same way. Slow start but it'll establish itself. Please don't schedule the autopsy before the victim is actually dead. D:<
A game about an armadillo rancher....why haven't I heard of this? You have sold me, many thanks friend!

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
JoJo said:
Jeremy Meadows said:
*facepalm* This is why I hate humanity.
Really? Because some people like a different console than you do? For all the possible reasons in the world, that's why you hate your own species?
I agree, just because there are people out there who enjoy things you don't is no reason to be a douche about it.

I for one am enjoying my 3DS, I have some good games for it and I'm excited for some of the ones that have yet to come out.