3DS Software Lineup Trailer Might Justify the Price Tag

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
3DS Software Lineup Trailer Might Justify the Price Tag

If the 3DS' price feels a bit steep for your blood, this trailer does a decent job of reminding gamers the bang they'll be getting for their buck.

Yes, the 3DS is ¥25,000 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103851-Nintendo-3DS-Coming-in-2011-With-300-Price-Tag], which - thanks to an incredibly strong yen against the dollar - directly equates to $298. Other systems that launched in Japan at ¥25,000 include the Wii (retailed in the West for $250) and the original PSP (which came over here at $199), but they were released in an era of more favorable exchange rates.

Whether it's $250 or $300, either way you look at it, the 3DS is still on the upper bound of "how much gamers will be willing to shell out for a handheld." This software lineup trailer from Nintendo's recent 3DS conference, though? It does a pretty good job at justifying that price.

The big hitters here, of course, are Kid Icarus, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D, Resident Evil, Paper Mario, StarFox 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Mario Kart 3DS looks like more Mario Kart, which isn't a bad thing at all, and I am sure that somebody out there will absolutely go gaga over Nintendogs & Cats.

If all of these games are out at - or shortly after - launch, it could be one of the most impressive release day lineups I've seen in ages. Does that make a hypothetical $300 (or $250) price tag any less high? No, not really. But it's certainly helping me justify the purchase to my own wallet.

(GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=137585])

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
The price doesn't sound that bad. Some of these games look excellent though. Nintendo is finally moving in the right direction.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
so the high price tag is softened by all the games that come out while you are still recovering from the original purchase?, dont get me wrong im gonna stand in line for the midnight launch of this thing, but it will be some time before i can afford a new game for it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That's a good launch line-up. A very good one, indeed.

But still: Nintendogs and Cats? Nintendo's innovation continues (I'm just kidding).
The line-up sounds good but more or less it's: Interesting reboot, remake, remake (?), remake, remake, remake and remake with cats.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It does give good reason to the purchase for sure, but still. A heavy price tag is anything.

It feels like handhelds going to cost as much as there larger, livignroom / bedroom cousins soon.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... Holy shit...

... I actually REALLY want a new Nintendo system. I... I didn't think that'd happen for years, if ever again.

And it looks like it has great quality games...

My god.

My gamer-life has been turned upside down.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I must admit it's an extremely impressive lineup. Even if only half of these are the release lineup, I'm going to have to make some tough choices...
As for the price, I know it's a big launch, but still... I gotta start saving now.

AndreyC

Mar 18, 2010
Snake Eater 3D sold me a 3DS.

I just wished they put a second analog stick on the damn system. Ok, it has a the touchscreen, that's cool and all, but some games simply NEED two analog sticks. The system would be the most versatile ever control-wise with a second analog stick. But it looks like it's too late for that. =/

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
... Holy shit...

... I actually REALLY want a new Nintendo system. I... I didn't think that'd happen for years, if ever again.

And it looks like it has great quality games...

My god.

My gamer-life has been turned upside down.
You say that but you have a metroid avatar?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I would be very, very surprised if the 3DS was $300. $250 seems infinitely more likely to me.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Zombie Nixon said:
That doesn't sound very exciting to me, the majority of those games are remakes. What's the appeal?
The appeal is the remakes are game that are over 10 years old and so many people who are now the right age to play games have never played them.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to want one more and more even with the huge price tag. The graphics look pretty good from what I could see, the 3D is supposed to work well from what I've heard, and the games all look at least fairly interesting so far. Plus, it will likely be like the DS in that it will have a lot of games for it and last quite a long time. I can actually see it being worth $300 just due to the fact that I bet it will last a good 7-10 years.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
To be honest, the AU$400 price tag may cripple sales. The 4 million sales they think they'll get in the first month seems more like a pipe dream. I know I'm buying the console on release and I hope Zelda:OOT 3D is a launch title. I think the 3DS will sell a small amount during the first half of 2011 but by Christmas it will drop AU$50 to rake in some big cash. That or it will only sell to diehard fans of Nintendo the first year and the DS will drop even further in price and make up for the lack of 3DS sales.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Really it's not that expensive, I won't buy it for a couple of years but I can appreciate why the price is what it is, wallet stinging or not.

The original Gameboy launched at $89.99 dollars, it wasn't exactly cheap. Given inflation that's umm...*pulls up a inflataion tables for america and does some quick calculations* ...roughly equivalent to $161 dollars today and it's components were a long way from cutting edge and didn't have to be there was no real competition in the marketplace.

Today every man and his dog is walking around with $400 to $700 worth of computing as a mobile phone, all of them can play games and Nintendo has to make their handheld look cutting edge without subsidising the purchase (ooh, 3DS phone on contract anyone?).

Costing twice as much isn't so bad given that it actually has fairly good specs this time around.