40% of College Students get this question wrong. AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY!

Sass0519

Jul 16, 2009
I'm currently taking Applied Calc at college so I really had to rack my brain to remember what FOIL meant. I haven't heard FOIL since 9th grade. Glad I got it though.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Seeing as I studied Psychology and Journalism in college it's of no suprise that I have absolutely no idea what the hell FOIL is or the answer to your question.

Equations are not relevant or important to everyone (even in college) so I don't see why only %40 of students getting that wrong that is any reason to get vexed or agitated (if it was %40 of maths students then it's a different matter altogether and I would be more worried than angry).

Seriously, I am yet to find a practical application in my life for algebra (with the possible exception of making it up to sound smarter, in that case, does it matter if I get it right?).

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
FOIL: (x+3)^2 :

(x+3)^2 = (x+3)*(x+3) = x*x + x*3 + 3*x + 3*3 =
x^2 + 6x + 9

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
buggy65 said:
This is Algebra I stuff. It is taught in High School!
It is virtually never used after then. I am proud to say that I got the answer wrong. I put x^2 + 3^2. Unless you are doing a job where this type of maths is actually used, why would you remember how to do it?

black-magic

May 21, 2009
I've been doing this equation since grade 9, square the first, square the second, two times the first times the second, easy.

Aug 3, 2008
x[sup]2[/sup] + 6x + 9
Although i havn't heard of FOIL before.

In case anyone is interested you can write powers using [ sup ][/ sup ] tags (without the spaces)
so you can write x[sup]2[/sup]

EDIT
aruseusx said:
I thought it was intergration and assumed the answer was 2(x+3). I always mistake methods of mathematics, which is bad since I have a test tommorow.
Integrating it gives ((x + 3)[sup]3[/sup]) / 3

You differentiated it

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
starfox444 said:
I thought I'd propose a bit of a harder one.

Express x[sup]2[/sup]+ 9 as the product of two binomial functions.
[Hint: There is no real answer]
It's already as simplified as it can be. It would have to be x[sup]2[/sup]- 9 to be factorable.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
x^2+2(3x)+9?
I got it right apparently, although I needed you to remind me what FOIL meant...(First outer inner last, I remember that now).
Edit: Also had to find out how to use spoiler tags. I need to learn programming and computer stuff.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
h
starfox444 said:
twaddle said:
x^2+3x+9
hey i'm smarter than my peers!! Woot
Actually, you aren't because that's an incorrect answer. Give it another go.

generic gamer said:
people seem to have missed my objection to questions like this, without x this equation is unsolvable. you can expand it and shorten it all you want but it's still useless. it's not worth remembering for the seven intervening years between my last algebra lesson and today how to 'unpack' a meaningless equation.
You aren't solving an equation, you are expanding an expression.

Fire Daemon said:
As a reference point most people turn 16 in year 10.
I believe that's the Eastern states. Here in WA, I'm turning 17 and am in Year 12. I do agree that the MAT and MAS units are bit unevenly divided. Not only is there a big jump from 2CD to 3AB but there is also a massive jump from 3AB to 3CD.
i thought i typed in 6x T-T
i put in all the steps to solve the equation

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
what does the upwards arrow mean? does it and the two afterwards indicate that you are squaring the brackets?

I was always good at maths but god i hate it

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
Yeah, did that one in High School.

However, no need to get angry at the 40% of us that havn't done ANY kind of maths since that time of our lives.
I did Extension Maths for my HSC, and yet I am studying music at University. So shoot me if I can't remember a whole lot of infomation that is basically useless now.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Dude, some people are just retarded. As for me, I'm a first year engineering student, that was a piece of piss. Of course I got it right.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
starfox444 said:
Incorrect, sir. You gave a real answer. Here's the actual answer for those who have given it a few goes.

(x+3i)(x-3i)
Bah, imaginary numbers are dumb. And I'm not just saying that because I completely forgot about them.